Help › Forums

Internet drop = WGT Nightmare + HELP!!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 31 2012 8:54 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • chrisironsbones
    3,524 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:20 AM

For the past year my internet (provided by BT, one of UK's biggest providers) has been running at 6.5 to 7 mbs which for rural Wales is pretty decent, and I've had no problems playing WGT, loading very fast, and camera views loading INSTANTLY.  Since yesterday the game has been very slow and even the site itself has been slow, instead of the usual "blame WGT" many seem to do, I checked my internet speed only to be astonished instead of the 6.5 mbs it is now 0.6 mbs, unbelievable, not only are BT ripping me off, still taking payment for the "faster" speed i'm meant t be receiving its making WGT unplayable.  My daily fix can no longer be satisfied until something is drastically done.  How about this for frustration, I enter Ebay CTTH only for game to take 4 minutes to load, change of camera took 2 minutes, shot and meter was fast & perfect, but loading next hole took 4 to 5 minutes.  this happened all the way through and It took me 50 minutes to play a 5 minute CTTH.  Any tips appart from going berzerk with internet providers about getting speed back, anything locally I can do like reset router maybe???

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 7:27 AM

Power off, wait 10 sec and power back on the router can solve the problem and it won't do any harm.

Good luck.

R.

• fairground11
    1,211 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:24 AM

sometimes just rebooting the computer can work,by no means gaurenteed though.

sometimes unplugging the router for 10 minutes does the trick

• Ffudd
    2,541 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 8:44 AM

Like fairground says rebooting your PC and hub / router can do the trick and checking your broadband filters haven't worked loose (if you use them).

Also speak to BT, they have a great help desk and they can check what speed you have coming down your line to see if it's a problem at the exchange or talk you through any more tweaks you might need at your end.

• wayne5347
    59 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:02 AM

Another great website to check your internet speeds is speedtest.net  You can check and get virtually instant results. If that shows uusually slow speeds, it'll give you more ammunition to take to your ISP.

GL

• thebigeasy707
    5,885 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 9:19 AM

if your speed's suddenly taken a drop mate....call BT and speak to their support. they will carry out a line test to see what the problem is.....they will also be able to tweak your line's noise filter setting which controls speeds to give you quicker download speed and slower upload speed and vice versa.

you'll probably not use uploads too much so ask them give you the fastest download speed possible....get them to turn the noise filter down to around 0.4 

you said this problem's basically happened instantly so it leads me to believe there's either a line problem or more likely a problem at the exchange. it might even be a dns problem.

call them and chat to a support tech.......and tell them you've cleared your cache and emptied temp files or they'll start talking to you as if yer a noob :)

they should be able to fix things.

just to be curious mate....how are UK sites opening for you....fast or slow like here???

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Tue, Oct 30 2012 11:15 AM

chrisironsbones:

For the past year my internet (provided by BT, one of UK's biggest providers) has been running at 6.5 to 7 mbs which for rural Wales is pretty decent, and I've had no problems playing WGT, loading very fast, and camera views loading INSTANTLY.  Since yesterday the game has been very slow and even the site itself has been slow, instead of the usual "blame WGT" many seem to do, I checked my internet speed only to be astonished instead of the 6.5 mbs it is now 0.6 mbs, unbelievable, not only are BT ripping me off, still taking payment for the "faster" speed i'm meant t be receiving its making WGT unplayable.  My daily fix can no longer be satisfied until something is drastically done.  How about this for frustration, I enter Ebay CTTH only for game to take 4 minutes to load, change of camera took 2 minutes, shot and meter was fast & perfect, but loading next hole took 4 to 5 minutes.  this happened all the way through and It took me 50 minutes to play a 5 minute CTTH.  Any tips appart from going berzerk with internet providers about getting speed back, anything locally I can do like reset router maybe???

I found the same problems today  -   "game to take 4 minutes to load, change of camera took 2 minutes, shot and meter was fast & perfect, but loading next hole took 4 to 5 minutes"

I use Virgin media and haven't had any problems with them in over 10 years. I scanned my pc (desktop) did all the usual stuff to hopefully clear anything that may be slowing it down but problem still exists but not as bad.

I'd say all other sites I've visited  (UK and worldwide) have opened as usual.  I then tried my laptop which I hardly ever use for WGT and found the same loading/gameplay problems. I honestly thought WGT were working on the site and I was unaware.

It's not so bad now but it forced me to withdraw from 2 tourneys in my CC. I'll wait till tomorrow and see what happens then and post back.  Purely information Chris. Sorry I can't be more help.

PS  One thing I did think of was Microsoft updates which I installed a couple of days ago. I have had issues with these in the past.

Bob 

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 2:49 AM

I just opened up WGT...(or tried to) on both my desktop and laptop.  It took 5-6 minutes on my desktop and laptop is still loading the WGT site. The login page still not fully displayed after 7 minutes and stuck on 8% loading.

All other web pages I've tried are loading and working fine as usual and I've tried various sites worldwide and here in Britain. I would suggest this is a WGT problem and nothing to do with my broadband connection, etc.  I just managed to reach the forums to post this but the main login page hasn't fully loaded yet. 

My laptop is stuck on 10% whilst trying to load WGT home page. FYI...this is a new laptop (3 months) which I only really used as a backup for files I need in my voluntary work. My desktop is about 6 months old and a top of the range HP and I keep both clean of all potential threats or virus. This only started yesterday but as I speak, my laptop has finally loaded WGT home page after 10 minutes and I'll try my daily play just now. Gameplay seems fine so I'm not sure what the problem is.

I'll be in and out  of the game during the day and will post back if any more issues occur.

Bob 

• DAD111
    582 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 3:24 AM

Carousel not loading......just a blank window....so no ads from Live gamer. A message just flashed up saying " couldn't connect to this webpage"

I can access My Offers, Supersonic ads and I played a video that was available there. I've also just played a CTTH and gameplay was fine. It seems to be loading home page and the carousel that presents problems so could be more problems with Livegamer.

I'm only posting this for information and most of it whilst trying to load home page and carousel on both my PC's but still no carousel. May be something for WGT Pizza to take up on?

I don't know, but I'm sorry if I seem to be droning on here but to go back to the OP, I have a feeling that it may not be Chris broadband or PC at fault here or completely at fault, but I'm sure if the problem lies with WGT or Live gamer, that it will be resolved in time. Thanks to all for listening.....

Bob  

• oilyrag
    875 Posts
    Wed, Oct 31 2012 4:10 AM

DAD111:

I just opened up WGT...(or tried to) on both my desktop and laptop.  It took 5-6 minutes on my desktop and laptop is still loading the WGT site. The login page still not fully displayed after 7 minutes and stuck on 8% loading.

browser ?

chrome and similar can hang when trying to load pages

stop the loading and hit reload

• PAGES
RSS