Help › Forums

Windows 8 and WGT

rated by 0 users
Sat, Nov 10 2012 1:06 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • jakestanfill7
    949 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:26 AM

After  a several month lay off due to meter insanity I've made my way back to the game only to find the meter is as bad as ever.  Have gone through countless new "optimizations" to no avail.  Baffling when my CPU remains less than 8% even while on the green and RAM is under 30%.  This is not a *** report, just a diehard WGTer who is about to be forced from the game he loves.

Here is my question....has anyone upgraded from Win7 to Win8 and if so, how did WGT perform with it?  Reformatting to Win8 is my last ditch effort to hang around but not going to reformat unless it helps WGT.  My system runs everything else under the sun without a hiccup.

I've have several "techies" work my machine lately  (2.4ghz core i5 processor, 6 gig RAM, 1 gig dedicated RAM for graphics, less than a year old, blah blah blah) and no one can solve the riddle.  They have all been amazed that they can get my system to every other intensive flash based game on the web flawlessly but they get to WGT and BOOM, same old stutters. 

One of the guys actually develops games (and code) and has become rather intrigued by the WGT riddle which he says is the first time he's been stumped in years.  He says he now tries to run WGT on many different machines that people bring to him and stated the results he sees are amazingly all over the place.  He said he can get about  1 of 5 computers he works on to run WGT without meter issues but there is no common thread between OS, brand of computer, and so on.

Sure would be nice if WGT had live support personnel that could help us straighten this stuff out **hint hint**  A lot of us would certainly pay for the service if it was there.

For those of you who think a smooth meter is possible for anyone who puts forth the effort to optimize YOU"RE DEAD WRONG!  Be happy your system jibes right but please don't belittle those who have troubles by saying we just have to try. It's quite insulting when many have literally invested 100s of hours trying to fix it.

I'm crossing my fingers Win8 provides more stability but please no more suggestions about optimizing current settings as that is an exercise in futility.  A little feedback on Windows 8 is all I'm asking for.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on Win8,

Jake

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:42 AM

Not that I'm an expert of any kind but what internet connection do you have and what is the download speed? Do you use any wireless connections between the internet and your hands. I use only wired connections including the mouse and have a virtual 3 foot sewer pipe of internet speed dumping content onto my computer. I've never had any of these issues many here talk about. I do read tons of talk about fancy named  browsers and Gameboosters but very few ever mention their physical connection and the download speed when posting. The greatest computer only connected to a drink straw sized connection isn't going to perform regardless of the bells and whistles of the computer itself.

Looking at this^ it probably doesn't help you much but IMO it's a factor that gets overlooked.

• downthecundy
    20 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:45 AM

Nice post,but im guessing you will get the "standard" response from wgt..."try another browser...optimise your settings...blah blah blah"

I and thousands more agree with ya jake,but what do we know !!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>downthecundy<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

• PRIESTESS
    10,716 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 5:53 AM

jakestanfill7:

After  a several month lay off due to meter insanity I've made my way back to the game only to find the meter is as bad as ever.  Have gone through countless new "optimizations" to no avail.  Baffling when my CPU remains less than 8% even while on the green and RAM is under 30%.  This is not a *** report, just a diehard WGTer who is about to be forced from the game he loves.

Here is my question....has anyone upgraded from Win7 to Win8 and if so, how did WGT perform with it?  Reformatting to Win8 is my last ditch effort to hang around but not going to reformat unless it helps WGT.  My system runs everything else under the sun without a hiccup.

I've have several "techies" work my machine lately  (2.4ghz core i5 processor, 6 gig RAM, 1 gig dedicated RAM for graphics, less than a year old, blah blah blah) and no one can solve the riddle.  They have all been amazed that they can get my system to every other intensive flash based game on the web flawlessly but they get to WGT and BOOM, same old stutters. 

One of the guys actually develops games (and code) and has become rather intrigued by the WGT riddle which he says is the first time he's been stumped in years.  He says he now tries to run WGT on many different machines that people bring to him and stated the results he sees are amazingly all over the place.  He said he can get about  1 of 5 computers he works on to run WGT without meter issues but there is no common thread between OS, brand of computer, and so on.

Sure would be nice if WGT had live support personnel that could help us straighten this stuff out **hint hint**  A lot of us would certainly pay for the service if it was there.

For those of you who think a smooth meter is possible for anyone who puts forth the effort to optimize YOU"RE DEAD WRONG!  Be happy your system jibes right but please don't belittle those who have troubles by saying we just have to try. It's quite insulting when many have literally invested 100s of hours trying to fix it.

I'm crossing my fingers Win8 provides more stability but please no more suggestions about optimizing current settings as that is an exercise in futility.  A little feedback on Windows 8 is all I'm asking for.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on Win8,

Jake

Dual boot yer system Jake,,add XP Pro as another operating system and use W7 for browsing and XP for wgt,,ask yer geek to Dual boot yer Rig with XP:)

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 6:34 AM

Not being that  computer savvy myself,i did however buy my mrs a new laptop with these specs:-  Intel Celeron B830 1.8GHz 6 GB RAM 500GB HDD integrated graphics,Windows 8 64 bit.I've only played 2 games on WGT on it but didn't seem to have any problems with meter other than clicking early coz of using a different mouse.But if you look on the microsoft forums there are loads of posts on there about Window 8 bugs,so maybe you could try looking there Jake to see if there are posts that may help.

Looking at the posts in the Microsoft forums alot of the problems have arisen by people upgrading to Windows 8 rather than buying a computer with it pre installed.The only problem i have with Windows 8 is not being able to use WIFI as the driver pre installed into computer is not good enough.I have downloaded a driver from the Packard Bell website but it came in a zipped file and don't have the 1st clue how to open it lol.So without hijacking your thread Jake if anyone knows how to open a zipped file using Windows 8 i would be extremely greatful.

Russell

• akone12
    6,913 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 7:19 AM

russellfahey:

Not being that  computer savvy myself,i did however buy my mrs a new laptop with these specs:-  Intel Celeron B830 1.8GHz 6 GB RAM 500GB HDD integrated graphics,Windows 8 64 bit.I've only played 2 games on WGT on it but didn't seem to have any problems with meter other than clicking early coz of using a different mouse.But if you look on the microsoft forums there are loads of posts on there about Window 8 bugs,so maybe you could try looking there Jake to see if there are posts that may help.

Looking at the posts in the Microsoft forums alot of the problems have arisen by people upgrading to Windows 8 rather than buying a computer with it pre installed.The only problem i have with Windows 8 is not being able to use WIFI as the driver pre installed into computer is not good enough.I have downloaded a driver from the Packard Bell website but it came in a zipped file and don't have the 1st clue how to open it lol.So without hijacking your thread Jake if anyone knows how to open a zipped file using Windows 8 i would be extremely greatful.

Russell

I just read your post as I was thinking of installing Win 8 and out of interest just typed "unzipping files in Win 8" and it came up with this!

http://www.jholu.com/2011/11/25/zip-unzip-files-in-windows-7-windows-8/

Don't know if it helps?

AK

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:25 AM

jakestanfill7:

Tried it on my friends PC, didn't work well. Same crap as W7 and a bit better than Vista. It's been proven that all OS except W XP have a delay when it comes to flash. I don't know if that's what makes the meter stutter, but I do know it doesn't stop the meter exactly when you click.

I do however have the privilege to use a 7 years old PC with W XP at my sisters house. The flash and cache have NEVER been cleared, no maintenance of any kind had ever been performed, the game client opens in an IMO optimal size (W7 opens it in a smaller format, Vista in bigger, that means that the beads on the putting grid move at different speed for the same amount of break) and I have NEVER had a single meter skip in 6 months, the meter is smooth and it actually stops dead the milisecond you click it. I had the same performance on a similar old PC with W XP at work and no machine of any kind with any other OS has ever come close to these 2.

So if you want to save yourself a ton of grief and have a 100 or so $ to spare, get an older PC with installed XP and use it just for this game. It'll be an eye opener.

• alpenpirat
    1,155 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 8:42 AM

Have a look here: 

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/135782.aspx

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 10:43 AM

jakestanfill7:
    For those of you who think a smooth meter is possible for anyone who puts forth the effort to optimize YOU"RE DEAD WRONG! 

With all due respect, I disagree Jake. There are many factors to contemplate first and foremost. If the meter can be smooth for some, it can be smooth for many. With that said, I too have had meter issues recently due to what I thought were browser issues. It turns out it wasn't one browser not working over another. I got a Trojan virus when I downloaded Java 7 update 7. It wreaked havoc on every browser I used. I was able to remove the Trojan, download Java 7 update 9, and went back to an earlier version of Firefox. All is good with my meter again.

I'm not sure switching to Windows 8 will help you find meter solace. You have something causing a conflict in your machine. It could very well be a Trojan virus, or you bought a computer that turned out to be a lemon in more ways then one. Viruses affect a computer in different ways. They mostly make applications work improperly which has an adverse affect on all the other applications associated with the original infected application. My advice would be to sell your current computer and buy a new AMD computer. You see what kind of luck you're having with the core i5.

Just my opinion Jake. GL

• genegold2
    1,302 Posts
    Thu, Nov 8 2012 2:36 PM

I run on 2 desktops a netbook, and a notebook. I have win xp pro and Xubuntu on the desktop. 1 desktop using xp runs very smooth. I have tweeked it to with a clean boot of running 22 processes. Took out all services not needed. Using Google and Firefox. Play Wgr mostly with Firefox without meter problems, it gives a better screen of games than Google does. Xubuntu on same machine runs wgt on both browsers with some issues, which it is known to not handle flash very well. I can run Firefox under Wine on Xubuntu with out issues, but screen size is a little reduced, but no meter problems. The other desktop running under XP without the system tweeks will have a meter jerk occasionally Netbook runs Xp no tweeks, no problems, just screen too small. Netbook wont run flash with Xubuntu older version. Just ifo for your problem.

Luck

• PAGES
RSS