Forums

Help › Forums

Club (Irons) upgrade suggestions... R11 -> Rapture V2 ?

rated by 0 users
Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:04 AM (7 replies)
  • adtjoel
    124 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 5:39 PM

The first thing I really bought was the full R11 set at 32 (I think) which made a big difference - I am now a master at level 48 and only been playing a bit more than 3 weeks - but am looking at possibly changing my irons although I am pretty happy with my current ones.

I don't think I can really upgrade much else at L48 even though many of the Par 5 greens are now unreachable in 2 :(

The ones I am looking at are:

2010 Rapture V2 Iron Set (Graphite) (L48+) - 1,685 Credits

The only thing is I wonder if these are much of an upgrade? Has anyone upgraded from the R11 irons to these and can give their views?

The new max irons are nice but the meter is proably going to be just too fast...

Current iron / ball combo information:

It seems I am sacrificing spin for swing meter and a little more forgiveness - however, currently my prefered ball is the 300 credit callaway slow meter ball.

If I was to change to the Rapture irons I could probably use the slightly cheaper callaway balls with more spin (and less feel) and keep the swing meter the same so not sure I would lose out on the spin.

I tried some of the 600 credit max balls (5 feel) and loved them even with my slightly faster irons - so easy to ding and get nice accurate shots but simply cannot afford to use them all the time.

I am thinking if I changed to the Raptures that my current 300 credit ball (3.5 feel) would almost be as slow as the 600 credit max ball is with my current irons.

Is it worth changing?

If I changed would I have to change again?

The credits isn't much of an issue I have 3.7k credits, quite a few balls already stocked and there is another William Hill offer I probably will take for anoyjer 2.7k credits. However, I would still feel bad about wasting 1700 credits if it's not worth it...

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:06 PM

The g 20 full set is the next big step in clubs. You are moving up fast and will be there in a week or two. They are high trajectory clubs that will help you stop the ball better and will carry further in the air. Many people use them all the way to legend tier. Either way, Enjoy.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:15 PM

No is my short answer. The raptures are good clubs but I would stick to the R11s you have as you will have to upgrade in the longer term. The G20s lvl 58 can carry you all the way to legend.

Where you will probably have to upgrade is the driver, but again wait untill at least the G20 is avaiable. I personally would dump the hybrid and get another wedge, this will save you more shots than the hybrid (and will use it more often).

If you upgrade now, I think you are throwing your money away. You are rising quickly, so will level up soon, just get used to the new tees and enjoy the game.

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 6:26 PM

lonnieskinner:

The g 20 full set is the next big step in clubs. You are moving up fast and will be there in a week or two. They are high trajectory clubs that will help you stop the ball better and will carry further in the air. Many people use them all the way to legend tier. Either way, Enjoy.

Not to mention the meter for the G20's is slower so the ball you use would not be an issue.

• lonnieskinner
    1,677 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 7:23 PM

+1

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Tue, Nov 13 2012 9:03 PM

And here we go again. Like many other players, you tiered up too fast. Now you struggle to hit from the tees.So now you have to either work on your levels, or buy up your levels.The problem with buying up the levels, is that you lose valuable experience .Once you reach the Legend tier, you are going to play against players , who can almost play with their eyes closed. So now you have to put your time in and focus on getting your levels up. Learn to play with what you have, and save your credits. I play with the top G20s, and they are sweet. When you get your first set, you will hear angels singing  from the tees. Happy Swinging

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2012 12:10 AM

lonnieskinner:

What you say!

For orientation of the time factor, level 59 is @ 88.000 XPs.

In the meantime you might have a look at higher level Taylormades if the meter speed doesn't bother you.

• adtjoel
    124 Posts
    Wed, Nov 14 2012 3:04 AM

Thanks for the advice - the G20s it is then.

I might get the set, the G20 the driver and wood will give me the extra distance. Like you say, not sure I would use the hybrid. I have barely used my current hybrid which hits 210, because my wood hits 227 and my 3 iron hits 205. Another wedge between 60 and 90 probably would help.

lonniescott711:
    Now you struggle to hit from the tees.So now you have to either work on your levels, or buy up your levels. Learn to play with what you have, and save your credits.

I have not used any level up bars and do not intend to (It was painful waiting to 35 for my new putter) - it is waste of credits as far as I am concerned. I do need more experience and practice.

I have managed -4 over 9 holes and -6 over 18 but nowhere near consistent enough. Hopefully by 59 (before I get the clubs) I can do that more consistently and will be able to add to the whopping 22 credits I have won already!

RSS