Help › Forums

Looking for Club Advice

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:23 AM (5 replies)
  • spudos
    2 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 1:12 PM

Hello all,

I am fairly new to WGT and would like to thank you for providing a fun and realistic golfing experience. I have been playing for about a month now, and have managed to achieve the Pro tier playing with only Starter clubs. However, I now see that par 4's have become much harder to reach in 2, and some are impossible, especially at Bethpage.

Anyway, I am looking to upgrade my clubs in order to improve my game. I would like to purchase some of the best clubs available, but I am wondering: Is it worth it to buy new clubs before reaching the master tier? Or...Is it even possible to reach the Master tier with Starter clubs? If you would suggest upgrading now, which clubs would you recommend?

Thank you in advance. Have fun, play well. =)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 2:41 PM

Spudos-The consensus is a driver and a putter now, save the $ for when you get master because you have better options. A driver will get you to a respectable spot in the fairway and the putter will become your best friend (either the Redwood or the Daytona.)

Wedges are always a good investment because what you get now will stay with you and all of them are available to you now. GL

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 4:52 PM

YankeeJim:
    all of them are available to you now.
    So , your saying that a pro can buy the 2 master satins , but can't buy any of the other  Master gear ?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:00 PM

I believe there's 1 each, Ping and Satin but I keep forgetting about them because all the other wedges with the exact same attributes are for pro+. Makes zero sense but all are available except those particular 2.

• danohi50
    1,020 Posts
    Fri, Jun 4 2010 5:04 PM

Hi Ace...good call, all the clubs except the master wedges are available.

I would also consider tossing your hybrid in the junk pile and getting the Ping 64* wedge and learn the flop shot.

Option 1...best driver, putter, and the 64

Option 2...this will be good for you when you make master.

Get all your clubs to match the swing speed of your 64 wedge.

Like the r-9 pro driver

The G-10 pro wedge set

Then give yourself a good spread to match your 64.

Learn how to punch your wedges...valuable tool...especially around the thick rough near the greens at BP and Oakmont.

Getting used to these club speeds now will be very helpful. If the meter is to fast, try the gi-3-d balls. They work great for me. If I have a tourny at BP I switch to the  tour gi-sd. You have to be able to stop your shots there.

• spudos
    2 Posts
    Sat, Jun 5 2010 6:23 AM

Thank you so much everyone for the helpful advice. The Daytona putter seems to be a good investment, so I will most likely purchase that. I will also look through the wedges and drivers to see what would suit me best.

Thanks again!

RSS