Forums

Help › Forums

Match play mode

Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:28 AM (6 replies)
  • SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 4:56 AM

Hi,

I think its great that you have started to count in (at least rated) match play games into score average. Removes a lot of the sandbaggers and you see their real score average. 

Just wonder how you calculate my score in a match play game? First of all the other player can concede long putts etc, and even concede the hole before we both have finished. Second its not very often that you play the full 9 or 18 holes, it usually ends with 2-3 holes left. How do you take that into calculation when you calculate my average score for the matchplay round?

• Kelsey12
    2,114 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:08 AM

It's a secret... they're not going to tell. Letting players know how averages are calculated now will only invite manipulation of the game again, thus giving sanbaggers the opportunity to continue sandbagging.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:21 AM

SweetiePie91:
    I think its great that you have started to count in (at least rated) match play games into score average. Removes a lot of the sandbaggers and you see their real score average. 

The new system doesn't actually look at your score as much as it looks at WHO you beat. The drop in average is a side affect and isn't determined by MP stats. It can't, there's no stroke score to use.

• SweetiePie91
    269 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:30 AM

YankeeJim:
    The new system doesn't actually look at your score as much as it looks at WHO you beat.

Means if I beat a legend my avg. score drops like 0.8 no matter how good or bad i play? And it rises a bit if i lose?

• Choppography
    2,166 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 5:39 AM

I would love to say it just gives you the score that tiers you up to the tier you just beat.  Example, beating a TourMaster (if you aren't one) would "card" a 63 for you in your list of best ranked rounds.  Many of us first thought that because the players that hadn't recorded a first round at their new tier posted that score first when beating another higher tier.

But, that's not even the case because it seems at any given time your "average" (and I use that term very loosely) drops a good bit....over a stroke in most cases I've seen.

Your score only takes into account whether you beat the higher tiered player or not.  It doesn't discriminate, from my observation, whether you beat the player 5UP or 1UP on the 23rd extra hole.  It's simply a victory for you vs a higher tier.  And, I have yet to see the average rise in a loss no matter how few ranked rounds you have in your current tier.

Embrace the change.  It's here to stay.  Although a good many of us would like to see it toned down a bit and only used in the credit challenge format.

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:19 AM

SweetiePie91:
    Means if I beat a legend my avg. score drops like 0.8 no matter how good or bad i play? And it rises a bit if i lose?
    Yes to the drop, no to the rise.

Yes to the magnitude of the number. (from experience in an unequal inter-CC tournament.) When you're dropped below the changing threshold you get tiered up.

• PUHOLINO
    1,189 Posts
    Fri, Nov 16 2012 6:28 AM

Losses don't count, every win drops you, no matter how it's achieved. A forfeit from your opponent before either of you even take your first shot will have the same effect as if you won cause you eagled every hole. Proved.

RSS