Forums

Help › Forums

wgt's search engine is a non-usable joke

Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:30 AM (9 replies)
  • Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Thu, Nov 29 2012 11:05 AM

We are told to search for an existing thread before making a new one. OK, so I have tried several times to do that. 

Does this site not want you to follow their rules or simply make it so frustrating that you just give up?

I just tried to find a post by typing in the full name but was not at all surprised to find this simple task so screwed up, so disorganized, so unusable that it is all but worthless.

Not a single page was in order. Page #1 had discussions from 6 months ago and page #140 had discussions from two days ago.

After searching about 40 pages I gave it up.  Is it so difficult to program in things like keeping post's in order by date?

It seems to me that wgt needs to do one of two things.

Either fire the adults and hire junior high school kids to program or fire the junior high schools kids and hire adults.

• jocko63
    33 Posts
    Thu, Nov 29 2012 2:29 PM

i ont know whta the problem is?? please specify!

• SOYEL1
    698 Posts
    Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:31 PM

I guess he's refering to the Search button to the right of the Forum pages.---->..and if I understood correctly he is not satisfied with the results it yields...

jocko63:

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Thu, Nov 29 2012 3:36 PM

jocko63:

At least the OP's spell checker works LMFAO. Seems you have a different problem poster :)

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Thu, Nov 29 2012 8:39 PM

The problem is simple. 

Example: Look through the forum topics. Pick one at random. Insert that topic into the search square (actually rectangle) and click go.

Try to find the topic you selected. It should be the first one you look at. That's the problem. It won't be. If you can even find it you will be lucky or the topic you choose will be very limited.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 4:04 AM

Point proven.

Search for "wgt's search engine is a non-usable joke". It comes up empty with an errormessage: "Sorry, we were unable to find any results using your search terms. Please change your search terms and try again."

R.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:12 AM

Rockitch:

Point proven.

Search for "wgt's search engine is a non-usable joke". It comes up empty with an errormessage: "Sorry, we were unable to find any results using your search terms. Please change your search terms and try again."

R.

I am so with you, Rock. That search engine is very primitive and is tough to get where you know there's a post you read. Apparently it uses key words and then lists them accordingly when they find those words. Some of the results are the same thread but with a different poster in it. Very tedious trying to find something. Try just searching part of the phrase or the OP's name if you know it.

Andyson has a better way to search for them but I can't remember how he does it. Hopefully he'll be along to help.  :-)

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:24 AM

YankeeJim:
    Andyson has a better way to search for them but I can't remember how he does it. Hopefully he'll be along to help.  :-)

Andy printed out the entire forum from day one. Thats how he does it  and he uses a highlighter lollol. A pink One.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:12 AM

Jim, I used to be able to use Google, or Yahoo to do site specific searches (by adding "site:wgt.com/forums" to the search) and get every post a member ever made.  Then add additional keywords to narror it down.

It no longer works.  I only get search results from the WGT News blog, nothing from the forums. I thing WGT must have added something to keep the search bots out of the forums.  So now we are stuck with only the primitive WGT Search.  Which they admit sucks.

So peanut butter & jelly wants to poke the bear? Fine w/ me.

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:30 AM

I have tot totally agree trying to look up anything in the search is a Royal PIA. 

RSS