Forums

Help › Forums

Do I putt like you ?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:37 PM (21 replies)
  • Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 3:55 PM

I never move the marker away from the hole unless it's a severe breaking putt.. I use the swing meter.. If you want to look at my putting stats and give me some feed back as to should they be better or is there a better way please do.. Thanks everyone..

• oneeyedjohn
    9,573 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 6:36 PM

I am not the best putter round here by a long way, but I ain't bad.

There are 2 very good threads on putting, by Nivlac for beginners and StoneColdKiller for more advanced ideas.

You have to find your own style and preference.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:12 PM

^^^^ What he said... I read in the forums a while back, you are not considered a good putter unless your 1putt ave is above 50 %.

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:20 PM

For very short putts I sometimes  hit late or early, but you must remember that the further away from ding, the less precision you get from your club. Hard to claim skill then :)
    No, use your marker and hit the ding. That is also the best way of learning how to read the green because the "missed ding" approach gives you little reference.

I see your "3 putts ore more" average is almost 16%, that is a lot. I think that is a good indication that your method is not working. If you miss your first putt, it should still lie close to the hole so that the second one is easy.

Scott2mee:

I never move the marker away from the hole unless it's a severe breaking putt.. I use the swing meter.. If you want to look at my putting stats and give me some feed back as to should they be better or is there a better way please do.. Thanks everyone..

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 8:58 PM

I used to putt exclusively that same exact way. But As Tight said you lose precision and will miss more . I received some good advice from Spammage and MAX about putting .

While I dont ding all my putts I now do move the aim marker and try to ding the putts. But If I miss the ding I compensate ever so slightly to miss the ding on the opposite side of the break so that the putt still has a chance to go in. I am still learning this style but my putting stats were bad like yours about 2 months ago but you can look at them now and they have improved drastically. Which is why I am now a TM and will make Legend soon.

My 3putt % was well over 12% but I think I got it down to like 8% now. I bet if I could count only the putts since getting the level 77 Nike Putter compared to my previous stats it would be night and day. At times I feel like I am missing putts I should make but I am making putts I almost always missed so........

This is definitley the hardest aspect of Golf and this game. I love it !

If you use a putter with high precision using the misding method will not work so well . If you are a misding putter and dont want to change that method try the Rossa putter if your not using it already . I was starting to master that putter using your method and was improving but I am glad I took the advice and changed my putter . I have not looked back since.

• senec
    252 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:05 PM

I have always used the "missding" method because I started that way and I can't ajust to the right method witch is move the marker accordingly and hit the ding.I know that using this method(missding) will never permit me to become tour legend.

That's also why I'm still using the beginner putter(not starter).I'm just so used to it I can't putt with any other;I've tried them all last weekend with no success.

I would be curious to know if some tour legends use the" missding" method of putting.

I seriously doubt it.

Oh! don't look at my equipment it's a real mess,I will be level 90 in a couple of days and you know what that means.

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Fri, Nov 30 2012 10:22 PM

senec:

I would be curious to know if some tour legends use the" missding" method of putting.

I seriously doubt it.

So do I . At least I dont think they use the misding method exclusively without moving the aim marker and try to ding or just barely misding on the opposite side of the break as I have seen some do on videos. But mostly they aim and ding !

• Spammage
    694 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 12:27 AM

I think I read on the forums that Wontonamo uses miss ding putting.  If so he must really have it perfected.  

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:47 AM

Is the Rossa a miss-ding putter only, or is it also ok for ding putting? I have the Rossa and at this moment miss-ding putting (with standard view) just feels way more natural then ding putting with reverse view, which I tried for a couple of weeks or so, until i got the Rossa. Now I ask myself if I should return to ding putting with reverse view, even with my current Rossa putter ? I'm not looking for better scores on short term; I'd rather be well prepared for the long term. Sorry for this bit of topic-hijacking, but I felt this question fit in perfectly here.

R.

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 4:17 AM

There are those who move the marker that will tell you that the early/late is flawed and you cannot become a good putter unless you move the marker, no offense but this is bulls%$#. Actually I think you become a better putter because of this method. No not a better putter than anyone else but a more rounded putter. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking those who move the marker, it works for them and that's great. Like someone else pointed out, they started with the early late and just cannot switch, I know I tried that as well. The early/late putter has to consider 3 thing.  1. the Speed of the ball 2. the angle of the early late and where to stop the marker and 3. do I need to increase or decrease the speed of because of where I am going to click (this one is huge). But for the record even those that use the early/late putting method there are times we have to move the marker, depending on the shot.

I would suggest no matter which style you use you always putt from the reverse view, the green read is far more accurate. 

RSS