Forums

Help › Forums

Do I putt like you ?

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 6 2012 2:37 PM (21 replies)
  • notonthis
    893 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 4:26 AM

I play the miss ding as well with my putts and yes i did it for awhile with the rossa.

• xSweetCarolinex
    274 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 5:39 AM

I have used the miss ding style since I started, and I believe it has helped enormously in my 72 consecutive days to TM.

My 3putt% is less than 6% with the one & two putt % taking up the rest, and pretty even.

The only putt I have ever moved the marker for is the 2nd hole in the November Putting Challenge (I think it's the 2nd)

That hole is impossible to get close unless u move the marker...I've been tempted sometimes on BPB 15th too, but so far haven't really needed to.

It's very interesting to read about people's individual styles :)

Caroline

x

• pjctas0822
    4,592 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:46 AM

Spammage:

I think I read on the forums that Wontonamo uses miss ding putting.  If so he must really have it perfected.  

Bet he uses the Rossa :) I have not checked his equipment because I want to guess and be right :)

I had some success with the misding method and the Ghost Spider level 33 or something. But Spam you were correct on the info for the Nike one I am using. Misding works but it is better to aim and fire ! :)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 10:47 AM

I move the marker unless it's only a couple of feet.

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:46 PM

SGTBilko:

There are those who move the marker that will tell you that the early/late is flawed and you cannot become a good putter unless you move the marker, no offense but this is bulls%$#. Actually I think you become a better putter because of this method. No not a better putter than anyone else but a more rounded putter. Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking those who move the marker, it works for them and that's great. Like someone else pointed out, they started with the early late and just cannot switch, I know I tried that as well. The early/late putter has to consider 3 thing.  1. the Speed of the ball 2. the angle of the early late and where to stop the marker and 3. do I need to increase or decrease the speed of because of where I am going to click (this one is huge). But for the record even those that use the early/late putting method there are times we have to move the marker, depending on the shot.

I would suggest no matter which style you use you always putt from the reverse view, the green read is far more accurate. 

A well rounded putter.. That sounds like what I'm looking to become.. I think the ability to use more than one method or even combine them is gonna make me into that well rounded putter.. Remember I said I would move the marker for putts that broke severeiy.. You can only go so far in one direction or the other by missing the ding.. I'm still very new to this game.. I'm gonna use the feed back I've gotten from this post.. Practice rounds with another method of putting.. Move the marker.. Hit the ding.. Miss a lot of putts.. Try to remain calm.. Once I'm confident putting this way.. Play ranked rounds.. Watch my stats.. Hopefully I'll return to this forum a few weeks from now dropping ten to twelve foot bombs into the cup consistantly.. Thanks everyone..

• Wontonamo
    2,269 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 3:47 PM

pjctas0822:

Spammage:

I think I read on the forums that Wontonamo uses miss ding putting.  If so he must really have it perfected.  

Bet he uses the Rossa :) I have not checked his equipment because I want to guess and be right :)

I had some success with the misding method and the Ghost Spider level 33 or something. But Spam you were correct on the info for the Nike one I am using. Misding works but it is better to aim and fire ! :)

yes i do use the rossa putter - ive tried them all for my misding method and i found this one works best for me. ive been told by others that the ghost putters also work well, but i found them a bit 'stiff' to use and they tend to hold the ine instead of going where u want it.

suncitys guide to putting is a great tutorial to look at  - search for it in the forums. he doesnt use the misding method but explains clearly how the speed lines work and how to compensate for them with speed. unfortunately i played with the misding method from the start and i cannot putt any other way.

anyway ive just looked at my stat and see ive had over 52000 putts - that a lot lmao. basically its taken me this long to adjust to reading the speed of the lines and how much speed to compensate for the putts. its never an exact science really, i try to remember certain parts of the greens and how they break and tmentally note any idiosyncracies that arise from putts on each green. every green has different characteristics so need to keep that in mind.

to start with practice half putts on different greens ie with my rossa ill get the 15, 30, 60 ft increments - hit it at 7.5ft and ding it half way each side. see how it rolls on different greens - on uphills, flats and downhills. try it on hard breaking slopes as well to get the feel of speed, break and angle of approach to the hole. a lot of the times i try to make the hole 'bigger' that way by always going high and letting the ball lag a bit. other times ill bash it t hold its line. 

then try the 15ft putt with 1/2 ding then 30ft etc. i find with a lot of practice speed determination comes natural. add a couple of feet to uphill putts and big breakers.

places like congressional, whistler, cabo, oly and oakmont i fnd this works quite well. others like kiawah, sta, rsg u need to practice 1/4 dings and 40% dings.

hope this helps a bit - its damn hard to explain how i putt, just need to put in the time for it and mentally take notes as to how putts react :)

once that happens its a nice feeling when they start poppin in the hole .

• oneeyedjohn
    9,573 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:01 PM

This is for Senec - I played the 'beginner' putter throughout my TM days, even after having tried most other putters. Then when I made Legend I was gifted a Nike Method Level 77 putter, and thought my days of Miss Ding were over.

Well , they were essentially, so now I move the aim marker, but I also can miss the ding fractionally on a very slight breaking putt that isn't over 5 foot.

But what this has given me is the ability to now read the dots and get the line right most of the time.

I tried the Ghost Level 92 and was bloody hopeless with it, too much precision I guess.

• Steve2golf
    930 Posts
    Sat, Dec 1 2012 7:19 PM

Putting is freaking hard, during a putting slump I created an excel sheet to track the breaks based on speed of the moving dots, but found no improvement in my overall putting. I found I was following the sheet and missing, or reading the sheet and not believing and missing when the sheet would of been right. Double frustrated as opposed to single. 

I'm not sure what a good putting stat is as I'm not overly convinced at the method of tracking the stats, but my feeling is, you just need to develop a feel for it and try to miss the hole on the high side using  a missed ding taking some of the break out and always aim for same distance, ie 1 or 2 feet by the hole.

Basically every miss is an opportunity to learn.

• Scott2mee
    281 Posts
    Sun, Dec 2 2012 11:10 AM

Real quick.. This moving the marker method of putting works great for long putts. I've been putting in the reverse view because I no longer am worried about what side of the ding I stop the meter on.. I'm trying to stop it dead center.. The missed ding method is much better for putts in the ten to fifteen foot range but beyond that I'm moving the marker.. My three putt average has gone down in just one day.. I'm gonna get way better at this over time.. Thanks guys..

• Tightrope
    1,072 Posts
    Wed, Dec 5 2012 8:55 AM

No, sorry. Science proves you wrong. Without using exact numbers i'd say that one "unit" of missed ding make 1.5 hole width on a completely straigh putt from 10 ft. That would mean that is the minimum amount of correction you can do with the missed ding method. The marker can be moved with more than 10 times that precision. So to adjust for the loss of precision you need to work with the next parameter - speed. That in itself makes the equation more complicated. After that, you need to factor in the unknown - how much is the clubs precision affected?

But sure, regardless of the method you use, the most important thing is the reading and the execution. If you read it to be "43% on the scale and 8% late misding" and execute it perfectly you probably have a better chance of success than the person who moves the marker to the right place and then misses the ding involuntarily.

All things considered though - the missed ding approach can never be as exact as moving the marker.

SGTBilko:

There are those who move the marker that will tell you that the early/late is flawed and you cannot become a good putter unless you move the marker, no offense but this is bulls%$#.

RSS