Help › Forums

What to buy to get started

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jun 11 2010 12:48 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • verydisco
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 11:38 AM

Hello folks. Was wondering which set would be a good idea of purchasing? Just got started. Posted 84 and 78 on 1st 2 rounds. 

Don't want to waste money.

Can you sell back a set of clubs that you purchase or are you stuck with them?

Thanks guys.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:18 PM

verydisco:

Don't want to waste money.

Can you sell back a set of clubs that you purchase or are you stuck with them?

Hi Disco...I won't make any suggestions on a set as many will follow my post  and  everyone has different tastes, but as for your question, yes you can sell your clubs back to the pro-shop for I think 25 % of the purchase price. Also you have the option to rent clubs if you wish to shop around. Have fun...                                                                                                                                                                                                                             "Ace"

• nickuk
    967 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:23 PM

hey mr disco....dont be so hasty.....move up the ranks with the clubs you got....you obviously think you have the knack....get to pro level with them...then think about it! if u really need to ,i wld suggest a putter and a driver to start....but im not sure what u can purchase as a hack.....you can only buy your tier level clubs....save the expense and become a pro first!     may  the winds be with you!  ;)( don`t buy the raptures)

• SystemCrash
    209 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:24 PM

verydisco:
    Hello folks. Was wondering which set would be a good idea of purchasing? Just got started. Posted 84 and 78 on 1st 2 rounds. 

I saw 80 and 84, but for a hack it's pretty good! I would say play with what you have until you get to PRO. Then you can upgrade (cos trying to get to MASTER is nearly impossible without upgrading at least some clubs).

It all depends on the budget you have. For the putter, IMO the Daytona is the best but the Ping Anser gives you a good bang for the bucks.

I've managed to get to master with the Daytona, the Rapture V2 Pro (driver), 2 Z-Wedges Pro (52 and 60). For the irons, I kept the Starters (you can get the Starters Plus, for 50cr for the set, it slows down the meter a lot!).

This way you can really invest when you are master, instead of paying a lot every times you change tiers.

Happy golfing!

Edit: darn! ...always beaten by a minute! :)

Rob

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:25 PM

Ace is right but beware you only get like 25% back. Hold off spending your money for a little bit. There are a lot of options but not all of them are available below the pro tier so you will get the most out of your money if you wait until you get to that level. It won't take long and the time you spend getting there will pay big dividends when you do upgrade because you will know better what you need.

This chart will help a lot. GL

http://wgt.com/forums/p/6927/43616.aspx#43616

• verydisco
    3 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:36 PM

Thanks guys. You lot just saved me a 20 odd quid!!

Will keep practising with these clubs then. See you in the tourneys.

• MonumentValley
    58 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 12:51 PM

Play with the starter clubs until you reach the Pro tier. It should take about 12-14 rounds for you to turn Pro.

First purchase after turning Pro should be a good driver. I'd suggest the Rapture V2 Pro driver. It'll add 30-40 yds. to your drives.

• JAMESBALDINI
    266 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 1:49 PM

HI

Once you reach pro i bought ping rapture v2 driver woods and irons they are all awesome and taylor daytona putter also awesome.

good luch

james

• Longwedge
    885 Posts
    Thu, Jun 10 2010 2:00 PM

Verydisco,

Welcome aboard.  I would just play with the clubs you currently have until you reach Pro level, then you can buy some stuff to improve your game.  However, once you reach Pro status, purchase a driver and some new balls with "feel" and "spin".  The "spin" stat increases the amount of spin you can generate giving the ball greater stopping ability on the greens, while "feel" actually slows down the swing meter.  After that I would say wedges are the next most important (especially a 64 degree) and then a fairway wood that hits long to help you reach the green in 2 on par 5's.  I personally play with an extra wedge and got rid of my hybrid club.  Finally, the last thing I would purchase is an iron set.  I hope I was able to help, and good luck to ya.

Longwedge

• verydisco
    3 Posts
    Fri, Jun 11 2010 4:56 AM

Hello again guys. Thanks for your advice. Definitely getting better. Up to Amateur now. Need to know if the wind direction and speed effects the putting?? Cannot tell yet?

Thanks.

• PAGES
RSS