Forums

Help › Forums

Question for the WGT bean counters :)

rated by 0 users
Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:49 PM (8 replies)
  • duffer19
    3,670 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 6:57 PM

with the Random Acts of Kindness catching on in these forums it made me start to wonder.   Are we only taking care of the few members that show up on these forums and is the word spreading to those yet to discover this place? I mention it because I felt a bit guilty winning two prizes LC offered.....a wedge and speed boost.....and another sleeve of BE-s balls just by posting a comment in a thread. 

so, the question is, what percentage of wgt players do you think visit these forums and have any idea what's going on?  I only ask because I think it would be a whole lot of fun to leave a gift under the doorsteps of someone completely unknown that might lead to a dialogue and discovery of these forums for them and additionally inspire them to perhaps leave a little something on another's door steps some day ;)

that's my kinda fun.  there's no glory in it, or thanks needed, or recognition (and I'm NOT saying that's motivating anyone who posts gifts on these walls) but what  a nifty way to help, to give, and ultimately get back by seeing them in here in this community.  

It seems like everyone visits, but that can't be the case at all. 

any how, random thoughts slipping out........and no......this is not a well thought out post nor does my intellect even make it possible :)

happy hittin

duff

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:26 PM
    This post has been deleted.
  • alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:35 PM

Good point regarding percentages of players who vistit the forums. I would be surprised if WGT would track these numbers but I have played with some randoms and they have said have you seen whats happened in the forums? So word had got out, but to what degree your guess is as good as mine (and I admit I hadn't looked at the forums in the first year of playing). I wish I had looked earlier as not only can you improve your game by the advice but there are also a lot af great people out there that contribute - I ALWAYS recommend to newbies to search the forums!

What I can say with certainty is the community spirit is as high as I have ever seen on WGT and I will attribute this to LC who started the ball rolling and for me it is an honour to be a part of the community.

I know this was asked at the chat with MisterWGT (we did get a free rental weekend)but I will ask it again. Following the random acts of kindness by many members of the community, would WGT consider doing a similar act in the future?

Alan

• TeeTimeSmitty
    1,972 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 7:40 PM

LOL Duffer   My X-Mas lights don't shine that bright either. Good thoughts tho. I have also been trying to tell my friends and CC members that alot goes on in these forums. I would have to believe what has been happening lately should generate interest . Uh Oh  a bulb burned out. Be back in a bit. LOL

• indaholes
    239 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:19 PM

I popped in for a minute Smitty,  Gotta Goooooo   lol

• navigater
    1,319 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:24 PM

I should have called myself" Tolatetommy,as I always read about the giveaway after the fact,As I'm sure most do.lol.

Price to pay for not being a hoverer waiting to pounce.

But it is a good thing to give,And fun to compete.for the prize.Hope to be able to do a give away my self some day

• Rzbk
    376 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:28 PM

There is no way to determine that as far as I know but there are many, many less players who bother to read the forum's mainly because of the treatment they received the first or second time they posted.

I have just been allowed back into these forum's after sitting out nearly four months which was my 3rd time, not moderated but banned from posting. 

Why, some might ask?

Very simple. I could not understand why new posters and old were attacked, ridiculed, belittled, laughed at and made to feel like such dumb a$$es that they have never been back and from what I've been told they will not be back.

Since I was in the center of that group being verbally abused and I am not smart enough to back down I made the mistake of expressing my views exactly as I saw them.

Think I'm kidding?

Check out some of the past forum's. A huge amount of that was erased when the "new forum cops" arrived but if you look, you can find examples.

Why was I banned and these, these,these..... people (see how being banned trains you) were not banned? You will have to ask someone else but I can show you 16 emails asking the same question's of which none were answered or returned. 

Anyway, I'm sure more reasons than I mentioned contributes to this but this could have been easily corrected by mods had they not been afraid or in awe of some of the old timers or the poster's who seem to have a contest to see which can post the most, substance be damned.

This is of course not only MY OPINION but also MY EXPERIENCE of being there, doing that.  

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:01 PM

duffer- I can confirm that there are at least two members who are randomly picking community members outside of these forums for those ransom acts of kindness. It's impossible to tell how many other people are doing the same thing but those members aren't really promoting the forums. They just feel great playing "Santa" all year round and remaining out of the spotlight while they do so.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Dec 13 2012 9:49 PM

Rzbk:
    There is no way to determine that as far as I know

Being a Game site and not purely a forum site...

I would suggest approx 10% of the players on WGT are active in the forums, some more so than others. some post 1x per year , others daily.

Then there are probably another 10% lurkers , who read a lot, and don't post.

I have 170+ members in my Country Club, (a recent culling took the number down from 240) most are fairly active in WGT, only around 20 % are active in our Club forums. Everyone receives a link from me to the Club Forums, some will do the suggested and introduce themselves and that's the last we hear of them.
    We encourage forum participation also, prizes are to be collected from the forums, Club emails are sent out with forum links etc.

Many people just 'aren't' forum people. They play, they makes friends they chat in game they post on walls, but to them the forums are 'for the others'.

Rzbk:
    there are many, many less players who bother to read the forum's mainly because of the treatment they received the first or second time they posted.

I'd agree with that, unfortunately the platform these forums were built on,  in hindsight simply not good enough to cope with the traffic they receive.
    Im not sure exactly what options forum Mods actually have at their disposal, but i am sure it isnt enough.

Subsequently there is abysmally inadequate moderation.

Abusive posts and the continual Off Topic posts and threads created in the wrong areas all lend to the dump, garbage pile these forums are.

However, to a new visitor to the forums they probably aren't as aware of these inadequacies as a seasoned regular is.

they post heir question, as dumb to some of us at it may be and then finding themselves fending off a barrage of abuse and attack, all on their own with no moderation.

In just this last week i have come across 2 people who didnt know the main forum page headings were clickable and therefore exposed a multitude of threads under the one heading.

These people see - "Community Help" and a link next to it (the most recent) they simply click on that obvious link and pose their question in what is often a completely unrelated thread.

EDIT:  I've just come across this post of PRESH10 here to indicate my point:

http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/91527.aspx

Rzbk:
    when the "new forum cops" arrived

They left as quickly as they came - we all felt a breath of fresh air when they were placed, Pizza, to his credit, was the only one who had the apparent tenacity for the large task presented him.

I am sure it was due to their frustration that these others left, at their inability to moderate the forums even in the most basic of ways that even a PHBB (common forum platform) can offer.

As a community member who is affected by these forums inadequacy and one whom also appreciates interaction from a vast array of opinions, I do what I can to help those seeking help here and if I notice anything in breach of the posting guidelines, i will report it in full.

Having said that, I am baffled as to some of my reports  on racism  and personal abuse have been largely ignored.

Me thinks too many Chiefs & not enough Indians.

duffer19:
    so, the question is, what percentage of wgt players do you think visit these forums and have any idea what's going on?

With people like yourself around Duffer, perhaps to spread the word of the great community in the WGT forums. We could perceive a slow increase in 'Forum Awareness & Participation'

Which in turn will increase the need for adequate moderation.

RSS