Forums

Help › Forums

Please help a Newbie!

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:38 AM (6 replies)
  • keasden
    222 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2013 5:29 AM

Hi to all, I am new to this wonderful and infuriating game that is WGT and looking for some practical help and advice to get me up and running.

Since stumbling across this site I have played every day for the last 8 days and after some initial technical glitches I now seem to be have a much more stable game using IE rather than Firefox

I would eventually like to join a CC and play against like minded folk ie those wo don't quit every time they play a bad shot or aren't winning and acually chat during a match!! 

I have progressed to Amateur level, can anyone advise me how to improve my game in the best way to enable me to progress through the ranks?  I'm not lookng for short cuts and realise the only way to get better is to practice, but I guess that I will need to buy some credits to get better clubs in order to improve.  What should I be looking to buy fitst, driver, wedge, irons, balls?

And finally, what games would be the most efficent way of impoving my XP level, ie should I be playing in tournaments or just multi player games?  A job, wife and kids means I have to spend my WGT time a productively as possible, if that is not a huge oxymoron!

Many thanks to anyone wo takes the trouble to respond and help a beginner out.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:17 AM

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Look here for some info I gathered. Remember: Any equipment you can buy before mid level 70's will prove not to last in the long run. Better spend credits on clubs then balls. Paid balls wear in a couple of rounds.

Ranked stroke play rounds give most xp points per hour play.

Have fun.

R.

PS Nice doggy :)

• keasden
    222 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:19 AM
    Thank you
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:11 PM

keasden:
    I would eventually like to join a CC

Try to find one with talented players. Each CC has a club forum. Imagine my delight when I noted a forum thread "Help and Tips." Incredible how helpful and supportive everyone has been.

Never would have progressed as fast as I did without them.

• keasden
    222 Posts
    Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:37 PM

Thanks, I have posted a 'wanted' ad on the CC board.

• Kelsey12
    2,114 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2013 8:53 AM

If you're willing to put in the time and effort, you can earn free credits to help with your purchase of new equipment by watching videos, answering survey questions, etc.

As you progress through the tiers, you'll find it difficult to reach the fairway on some holes with the default driver from the new tee boxes. It's purely personal preference, but after a new driver, I'd build from the lowest club back, meaning putter, wedges, irons, then fairway woods (and hybrid if you're so inclined).

Try not to spend your credits as you earn them - purchasing a club that costs 100 cr. just because you have 100 cr. isn't really an efficient way to go. Save them up and buy clubs that will last a while. There are many threads on tips for buying clubs. Good luck finding them.

As far as joining a CC goes, I would recommend finding one with a good number of players from, or near, your time zone. It just makes it easier to play against fellow members if they're typically on the same time you are.

Welcome to WGT. Don't let the game frustrate you too much.

Kelsey  =)

• keasden
    222 Posts
    Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:38 AM

Kelsey, many thanks for that, exactly the sort of hnts and info I was after.

Cheers.

RSS