rated by 0 users
Sat, Feb 9 2013 7:50 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 4:48 AM

alosso:

MainzMan:

I think what Oldbay means is you need to hit more birdies at St. Andrews than BPB to lower your average, which is true.  I assume that's what he meant by a lower score, you're absolutely right that a 66 is a 66, regardless of where it's scored.

I guess a better round would be a more accurate way to put it.

I see your point.

"A lower score relative to Par" is a correct statement.

Maybe they should use some sort of indexing, Where the scores would and how it affects your average would be based on the course index that is how difficult the course is. A -6 is for 18 is only a so so score on a few courses and a fabulous score on others.

• mel1950
    2,887 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 5:35 AM

There is one consideration that you should think about if you wish to lower your average.

Its easier to score well below par on a 9 hole than it is on an 18 hole.

You shoot 4 or 5 under on a 9 hole your score is doubled to give an 18 hole average therefore 5 under gives you 31 (or 30 on a 35 par 9 hole) x2= 60 or 62. There goes your aqverage, down, down, down.

You try shooting a 60 or 62 on an 18 hole.     Hard. he he he:~))

Mel

• Oldbayrunner
    1,774 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 6:55 AM

alosso:

Oldbayrunner:

Another consideration is St Andy's is a par 72 whereas Bethpage Black is a Par 70, therefore it takes a lower score on a par 72 to get lower than your average than on a par 70.

I'm sorry to say that this is not true.

Can't you read correctly...The OP shot a -3  over 18 holes on St Andy's, which is a par 72, equaling a 69 , if he shot a -3 on a par 70 would equal a 67, a two shot average difference, so therefore for him to shoot under his average on a par 72 course he would need to shoot a lower score than on a par 70. Therefore it takes a lessor score to shoot under ones average on a par 70 than a par 72.

All the rest of what you are saying is correct but read wtf I wrote correctly before you say I am wrong.

For the average only the gross scores count, a 70 is a 70 and a 72 is a 72. 9 hole scores are doubled, 33 => 66.

On a par 70 the same amount under would be a 64. A 64 would lower his average greater than a 66,  so it would still take a shooting a lower score on a par 72 to equal the same amount of average lowering difference than a par 70.

P: Your average is well saturated (>25) as you have at least 200 combined TP stroke play and CTTH rounds in the score history.

Therefore you don't need to shoot below your average (though this certainly helps), but lower than the highest score in the calculation. This might be 69 for example, thus only lower scores change anything.

That said, the 69 on STA doesn't move anything. Alas, -6 on Bethpage (full round) is 64, well below the average (sic!) for a change of -0.2.

You just proved what I said with this, to equal a 64 he would need to shoot a -8 on a par 72 or -4 on a par 72 9 hole round. Therefore guess what he still has to shoot a lower score on a par 72 than on a par 70...doesn't he.

This result caused a change of the score sum by 0.2*25 = 5, thus eliminating a 69 (64+5) in the mix.

Now you need to shave off another 4 strokes from the calculation to become a Master.

Have fun!

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 7:28 AM

There's a difference of your statement "lower score" to my understanding.

For you "lower" is "further below Par" while for me (and the averaging calculation) "lower" means "less in gross score".

I thought to explain it in my answer to MainzMan.

Right or wrong sometimes is a question of the POV.

I'm sorry to have offended you, please accept my apology.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 7:32 AM

• Sparky1047
    363 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 8:39 AM

I've watched that skit a hundred times and it still makes me laugh my a** off !!! Thanks for letting us see that again Bubba !!!!

Sparky...

• DWAYNE66
    250 Posts
    Fri, Feb 8 2013 2:06 PM

yep  lve this

• puttersman
    240 Posts
    Sat, Feb 9 2013 7:50 AM

I want to thank everyone for trying to help me figure this out. It is all confusing. I am working hard to make it to master. Me and my family go through the whole rotation of courses, One each day, for three days in a stroke play, as if we were playing on the senior tour. After the three rounds the losers pay the winner a sleeve of balls. lol. 

• PAGES
RSS