Forums

Help › Forums

New to WGT and thanks for the Virus!

Sun, Mar 1 2015 5:29 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • pantydropper40
    2 Posts
    Wed, May 15 2013 7:10 PM

Just started playing a couple days ago and figured to get credits instead of spending money on a game that i have'nt decided if is something i'll keep playing i'de do the free offers to get credits. Yeah i quickly learned those free offers very misleading as the surveys take you on a gauntlet of personal questions that would make Hugh Heffner blush. The worst is i saw an offer to download a screensaver from KidsCancerHope.org

then just fill out a lil form. sounded great help the kids somehow and no long survey to take, but right after i downloaded and tried to install it my virus protection came up sayin stop its a virus(i should of wrote down all the info, but yeah i just wanted it gone and fast).

I went back to the site and it said no form till the screensaver is installed, thats when i took a closer look at the site. It just did'nt look right, then i noticed in the address bar it said kidscancerhope.net. Very odd the name is .org, but the addy is .net so i googled kidscancerhope.org and found a legitimate site that is helping kids and that site looks nothing like the site i got from wgt. I cant believe WGT has so lil regard for there customers that they dont moniter every offer that is on this site, i mean if people cant play and buy credits due to a virus its bad for there business. Dont even get me started about the fact these idiots are doing this under the cover of helping children with CANCER!  Yeah i'm a noob here and i dont think i'll be buying credits anytime soon, although i would be happy to help in any of sending the parties responsible to jail

Good day.

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 8:16 PM

It is unfortunate that mostly WGT has no control over the content of their sponsors.

WGT buy ad 'bundles' that are embedded into the site. More often than not WGT are completely unaware of the content of these ads.

Although you are right, it should be monitored for the peace/ safety of the community.

Apart from the offers dropping bugs into your pc there is approx 40% of the ads on the WGT site (not game window) that are also bug droppers.

Ads telling you your PC is slow - click here to speed it up

Ads for upgrading your drivers

Ads telling you you are the 100th customer  - click to pick up your prize

stay away from these 'tempt to treat' ads.

Its hard to know which are safe and which arent,

rule no 1.. Have a good Antivirus and anti Malware that updates itself every day

rule no 2.. Dont click on ads

rule no 3..Search the offer in google rather than clicking the ad

rule no 4..Dont accept offers that seem to good to be true.

rule no 5.. Dont use your primary email address for any of these, create an email in Yahoo / Hotmail whatever for this junk to go to.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 8:30 PM

All sound advice Shrude.

One more thing you forgot, do not download any of the free credit offers under the "More Offers" tab on the "Earn Free Credits" page. Not only do they not pay, computers will become so clogged with adware, browsers and Operating Systems will stop working correctly.

• AGibbs1
    53 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 9:04 PM

You're right and don't feel left out, because it happened to me too and I work with computers everyday! It's sad to see people exploit people that have illness, but they don't care. Do what I did and run a scan... I found several buggies since i've been on this site and I think it's not done by WGT staff on purpose since the game is still in beta... but the script kiddies are sure having a blast exploiting weaknesses while us golfers are just trying to get our

pantydropper40:

Just started playing a couple days ago and figured to get credits instead of spending money on a game that i have'nt decided if is something i'll keep playing i'de do the free offers to get credits. Yeah i quickly learned those free offers very misleading as the surveys take you on a gauntlet of personal questions that would make Hugh Heffner blush. The worst is i saw an offer to download a screensaver from KidsCancerHope.org

then just fill out a lil form. sounded great help the kids somehow and no long survey to take, but right after i downloaded and tried to install it my virus protection came up sayin stop its a virus(i should of wrote down all the info, but yeah i just wanted it gone and fast).

I went back to the site and it said no form till the screensaver is installed, thats when i took a closer look at the site. It just did'nt look right, then i noticed in the address bar it said kidscancerhope.net. Very odd the name is .org, but the addy is .net so i googled kidscancerhope.org and found a legitimate site that is helping kids and that site looks nothing like the site i got from wgt. I cant believe WGT has so lil regard for there customers that they dont moniter every offer that is on this site, i mean if people cant play and buy credits due to a virus its bad for there business. Dont even get me started about the fact these idiots are doing this under the cover of helping children with CANCER!  Yeah i'm a noob here and i dont think i'll be buying credits anytime soon, although i would be happy to help in any of sending the parties responsible to jail

Good day.

18 in for the day.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 9:42 PM

Great advice by Shrude and Richard.

One other thing that may have occured in this case, is the malaware had already infected the OP's computer. If this was the case it can add code to any website, and while it looks like a legitimate link, it phishes you to bogus site. Having said that I do not know your surfing habits, but by the user ID of pantydropper one does wonder.

For the record I have never had any problems from content within WGT but I am cautious and follows Shrudes advice.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Tue, May 21 2013 11:36 PM

Richard4168:

All sound advice Shrude.

One more thing you forgot, do not download any of the free credit offers under the "More Offers" tab on the "Earn Free Credits" page. Not only do they not pay, computers will become so clogged with adware, browsers and Operating Systems will stop working correctly.

Lately the way ad providers are presented has changed a little, so to clear this statement up a bit more:

Trialpay is under "complete offers" and in my experience the most trustworthy ad provider.

Sponsorpay and Supersonicads are under "More Offers". Stay away from them is my advice.

R.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, May 22 2013 8:38 AM

Agreed Alanti and Rockitch.

Shrude gave a sound reminder. WGT should be fully aware of what their website is offering on the free credit offer pages. Shrude, I, and others know how to clean our machines when adware turns up, but there are many people who don't know how to remove these infections.

WGT should be checking to see if these free offers are safe for people's computers, and if these free offers even pay out for all the trouble some people experience with these free offers.

• Rockitch
    1,022 Posts
    Thu, May 23 2013 5:24 AM

Richard4168:
    WGT should be checking to see if these free offers are safe for people's computers, and if these free offers even pay out for all the trouble some people experience with these free offers.

Amen to that. I keep finding it totally astonishing that WGT does not do this.

R.

• Jpitt005
    9 Posts
    Fri, May 31 2013 8:04 PM

True, I'm still new and fell for the "More Offers" tab and completed a few surveys etc. where credits would be given within 15 minutes... come to find out it tells you to wait a full business day before reporting.  If you go to report it, they ask for proof of completion (which I didn't know I needed to take a screenshot or something even though I should have).  Time wasted... I do still do the instant surveys under the complete offers, surveys tab.

Either way thanks for the heads up and good luck, go make some putts!!!

• JackArons
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jun 2 2013 7:22 AM

Stay away from the offer by GoDaddy! I purchased two domains and was suppose to get 2380 credits. Never happened. GoDaddy told me to take it up with WGT who told me to go back to GD.

As to the surveys they are also not worth doing as I have taken everyone on there so far and after getting to the end all of them have told me that I do not qualify as they are looking for a certain class of people. What bull.

Now for those of you who believe that WGT is not getting paid for these surveys and ADs you need to think again. They are making a lot of money.

• PAGES
RSS