Forums

Help › Forums

30,45,60, and 90 second clock

Fri, Aug 13 2010 6:00 PM (32 replies)
  • trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:03 AM

I would agree that the 90 second clock is much too long and if paired with slow players can be quite frustrating. But having only 30 and 90 to choose from seems like opposite ends of the spectrum, with the 30 being nothing more than rushing to make your next mistake... which for me personally is no fun at all. 

Not that it matters, but in the EA Sports franchise one could select from 15, 30, 45, 60, and 90 seconds when creating a game. The 15 second game was very sadistic and no fun at all just ... rush, rush, rush. Unfortunately here in WGT because of slower load times that 15 second game would not be possible or practical.

My 'Product Suggestion' to the developers here in WGT (if possible) would be to add the 45 and 60 second clock to the existing 30 and 90, allowing people to choose from a more reasonable pace of play to participate in when creating or joining a game. 

• Johniedino
    786 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:36 AM

trumpy959:

I would agree that the 90 second clock is much too long and if paired with slow players can be quite frustrating. But having only 30 and 90 to choose from seems like opposite ends of the spectrum, with the 30 being nothing more than rushing to make your next mistake... which for me personally is no fun at all. 

Not that it matters, but in the EA Sports franchise one could select from 15, 30, 45, 60, and 90 seconds when creating a game. The 15 second game was very sadistic and no fun at all just ... rush, rush, rush. Unfortunately here in WGT because of slower load times that 15 second game would not be possible (or practical).

My suggestion to the developers here in WGT (if possible) would be to add the 45 and 60 second clock to the existing 30 and 90 allowing people to choose from a more reasonable pace of play to participate in when creating or joining a game. 

One of the best ideas I have read in  the forums Trumpy. What do you think WGT any chance of this happening as the 30 second clock is a tick to fast if one has to take 2 or 3 swings to smooth the meter.

J

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:28 AM

I played the 30 second timer last night, and I liked it.   The vast majority of my shots are normally shot within that 30 second window, so it wasn't a big change to my playing style in multi player.

The only time it became a problem was when I had a really long putt.

The key to avoid rushing is to know what you're going to do before it's your turn, so while my playing partners were shooting, I was already thinking about my next shot so when it was my turn, all I had to do was aim and shoot.

I would like to see the addition of more time options though.   I think 45 seconds would be perfect so I have a bit more time to consider the longer putts and allow the game to fully load so I can get a true green break read (or alternatively, WGT could fix the game where my CPU isn't pinned for a good 5-10 seconds as it renders the green and it's breaks).

• startrek
    19 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:32 AM

Hi,          Txs WGT for attempting to upgrade the games product website

It is by far and away the best golf site there is. TY WGT.

I agree with Trumpy959's quoted comments with 1 exception    IMO WGT should do away with the 90 sec shot timer,  make the max 60 secs with a slow play 1 shot penalty  on the second time rerun of 15 secs (with 45 and 30 secs as a choice. no penalty )

WGT dont play 4BBB competitions  (MP) and therefore our group play is a max of 4 players playing strokeplay medal.         If the combination has 1 or 2 slow players using up most of the 90 sec time for each shot then the outcome would appear to be obvious { 90 sec shot timer has no penalty and restarts)  more players will drop out of our games. 4 x~90 for each shot is a long long game.

I would also venture to add that strokeplay competitions are normally contested by 2 or 3 players and 4 balls are normally 4BBB comps, (pair x pair better ball score) .

The quickest round is 2 players  MatchPlay.

Just a few ideas to discuss and I hope it helps to promote a reasonable pace of play and members comments .

play well .

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 4:59 AM

marioh:
    I was already thinking about my next shot so when it was my turn, all I had to do was aim and shoot.

I do the same thing, Mario, but I ran across a bit of a snag yesterday. The camera in the fairway was covering my dot so I couldn't see what the yardage was. I always know what I'm going to do before it's my turn but even then, any kind of slow asset load or meter stumble requiring a pass on the swing makes it a little close. I even tried not zooming the approach and using the mini map to aim (oiy-big mistake.)  Plus, those long putts are a problem as you can't study them for very long, as you pointed out.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 5:14 AM

30 second timer is all well and good when you have a box standard shot ahead of you. The minute you are faced with anything of the tricky variety it really becomes too short a period in time. It also is prohibitive to chat when you are playing with others. As the author of the thread has suggested 45 & 60 second options are probably the best going forward.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 5:25 AM

YankeeJim:

marioh:
    I was already thinking about my next shot so when it was my turn, all I had to do was aim and shoot.

I do the same thing, Mario, but I ran across a bit of a snag yesterday. The camera in the fairway was covering my dot so I couldn't see what the yardage was. I always know what I'm going to do before it's my turn but even then, any kind of slow asset load or meter stumble requiring a pass on the swing makes it a little close. I even tried not zooming the approach and using the mini map to aim (oiy-big mistake.)  Plus, those long putts are a problem as you can't study them for very long, as you pointed out.

I turned off all the sky caddy cameras in order to get around that (after they changed it in the update prior to the previous one).

Those huge camera icons make the mini map practically useless for aiming or determining your shot distance.

It seems the more they add here, the less functionality we have.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 6:02 AM

Hi,

marioh:

Thats fair enough. I try to do as much as I can before it is my shot.

BUT -  how can you know what you are going to shoot if you dont know the exact elevation of the shot. eg is it 22ft,  26ft or maybe even 28ft above your ball lie?? Surely you have to see that first before you finalise your calculation ??

Curious thats all :-)

Cheers

Doug

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 6:14 AM

startrek:
    I agree with Trumpy959's quoted comments with 1 exception    IMO WGT should do away with the 90 sec shot timer,  make the max 60 secs with a slow play 1 shot penalty  on the second time rerun of 15 secs (with 45 and 30 secs as a choice. no penalty )

Shots will take longer in the future than they do now.  Please keep in mind shot taking will become more time consuming once the effects of uphill/downhill/sidehill lies are added,  shot shaping is added, and moving the ball in your stance is added to the game.

As new shot taking features are added total wall time for games will increase.  A 9 hole solo round that takes 20-30 minutes now could take 30-45 minutes.  (adding just 10 secs per shot adds around 6 minutes to a 9 hole round.) The increase for multi-player games will be even more significant.

It would benefit WGT to consider more game play acceleration features in their roadmap.  Seems obvious, the more games I play, the more balls I wear out, the more revenue WGT gets.  I think I'll start a thread for suggesting ways WGT can speed up play.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:11 AM

Considering I am a fast player already  I like the 30 timer,  if you need more time  you get a second 30 with no penalty. As to the 4 different timers 30, 45, 60, and 90  there are already too many options in the game play and it is now 4 times as hard to even find 4 players that agree with all the conditions. Keep adding prefernces and  it will become impossible to get a random 4 to play.

p.s.    yea yea  I know  dont play random  yadda yadda  etc.  I prefer  to,  otherwise I would not even bring up the difficulties is finding a random 4.

RSS