30,45,60, and 90 second clock

Fri, Aug 13 2010 6:00 PM (32 replies)
  • marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 7:26 AM

dorkfeatures:

Hi,

marioh:
    I was already thinking about my next shot so when it was my turn, all I had to do was aim and shoot.

Thats fair enough. I try to do as much as I can before it is my shot.

BUT -  how can you know what you are going to shoot if you dont know the exact elevation of the shot. eg is it 22ft,  26ft or maybe even 28ft above your ball lie?? Surely you have to see that first before you finalise your calculation ??

Curious thats all :-)

Cheers

Doug

Elevation changes certainly play a part in my overall shot strategy and is, as you mentioned, the one missing aspect that you can't see when watching other players shoot.

But I can determine distance and ball lie when it's not my turn.   Elevation changes, for me, are a quick addition to my calculations, and most of the time due to experience playing the courses (with the exception of Oakmont since it's still so new), I already have a general idea of the elevation difference before I get to see the true number, and from there, it's usually only a minor change to my calculations, if at all.

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 1:53 PM

I assume this thread will illicit an official response from WGT eventually.  Here's my second hand understanding of why they went with only 30 or 90 (wasn't there for conversation but got the update from a reliable source).  They started with only the addition of the 30 sec timer to test and see if if would be feasible even with some meter issues and such.  I assume the plan is to implement a few other variations after they've worked the bugs out with the initial change.  I'm no programmer so I don't know how much more or less difficult it is to add a few other choices.  All in all it's a sensible change that wouldn't make sense for them not to improve on it.  Just takes a little time.

That being said, I agree wholeheartedly with the 15, 30, 45, 60, & 90 sec increments.  The 15 sec will be the sadistic one that no one will use for REAL ranked rounds, BUT it will offer some good times for community organized tourneys &/ or just a group round with special rules.  (Such as beat the clock/ no aim/ use the line/ set up/ club given to you by default, etc) All the rest of the increments can be used fr regular games, 30 seconds is great with a flawless meter but a few hiccups can make it tough.  I played a challenge match with someone earlier today on 30 sec setting & we made it through with 1 timout a piece.

• trumpy959
    99 Posts
    Thu, Jul 29 2010 6:00 PM

marioh:
    It seems the more they add here, the less functionality we have

Thanks for all the great  feed back. The above quote brings to mind the question  "Is there only a certain amount of availibility when adding features to the game client  before the total starts to effect performance"?

If the answer were to be yes then IMO the additional zoom, volume, and full screen button's in the game client are simply not needed. They are very well designed and functional but if the games prime time real estate is ever effected in a negative way then maybe it should be space less cluttered. 

• Mike3226
    2,683 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 4:12 AM

In my opinion a 60 second option would have been much better than 30 seconds.

Sometimes due to a juddery meter you have to wait 3 or 4 times before you can hit the ball - this alone probably takes up the 30 seconds!

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 5:25 AM

since it rarely happens,   use 2, 30 sec timers     you can without penalty

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 5:26 AM

wizbang360:
    use 2, 30 sec timers     you can without penalty

Only once. The penalties start the second time you time out.  :-(

• werksux
    241 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 6:31 AM

Mike3226:

In my opinion a 60 second option would have been much better than 30 seconds.

Sometimes due to a juddery meter you have to wait 3 or 4 times before you can hit the ball - this alone probably takes up the 30 seconds!

Well, I learned something today, never knew "juddery" was a word, lol.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 6:45 AM

werksux:
    Well, I learned something today, never knew "juddery" was a word, lol.

LOL and I bet you knew exactly what it meant.  :-D

• WGTadmin2
    1,152 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 7:46 AM

Thanks for you feedback. We are testing to 30 sec shot clock and will continue to gather feedback to see if anything can be improved.  Balancing the large number of options and avoiding confusion is also an issue. Thanks for playing.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Fri, Jul 30 2010 8:18 AM

lol    ok   thought it was obvious,   59 sec without penalty,  if you cant make a shot within 60 sec then you deserve a penalty.

RSS