Forums

Help › Forums

Competing in tournaments. Help please.

rated by 0 users
Wed, Aug 4 2010 3:24 AM (6 replies)
  • Ancellotti
    68 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 3:47 PM

What is the best way to get up the rankings?

As a recently joined addict I am putting in cards of around 75-80 per round with Pro status now.

I cannot compete against Masters who are clocking scores in the 50s so am I wasting my time and money entering tournaments where I am going to finish way down the order therefore earning zero in terms of $$ and progress?

• austinpowers2001
    34 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 4:01 PM

Ancellotti:
    I cannot compete against Masters who are clocking scores in the 50s so am I wasting my time and money entering tournaments where I am going to finish way down the order therefore earning zero in terms of $ and progress?

If I were you I would do CTTH's I made some money that way.

• Ancellotti
    68 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 4:27 PM

So do you normally just play stroke play courses on your own, get your score down, get to Master status and then "buy" better equipment, is that the general process?

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 6:53 PM

Ancellotti:

So do you normally just play stroke play courses on your own, get your score down, get to Master status and then "buy" better equipment, is that the general process?

Don't do it like that. You will just shoot yourself in the foot so to speak. Just look at my tier and my average score now. I played St. Andrews front side for 2 straight days and shot well enough to make master then went back to the tourneys and even with some of the best equipment I can't even make the leader board.That is to say the 5 pages that are viewable.

Take your time to learn all the nuances of the game and all the courses and eventually you will get good enough to make master.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Tue, Aug 3 2010 7:42 PM

borntobesting:

Ancellotti:

Don't do it like that.

Take your time to learn all the nuances of the game and all the courses and eventually you will get good enough to make master.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 1:24 AM

jasondement:
    borntobesting:
    Ancellotti:
    Don't do it like that.

WHAT HE SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What Jasondement said, too!

Back to the OP... it doesn't matter if you buy all the best gear if you don't know how to play the game and the courses.  The great thing about WGT, as opposed to other games, is that you can't 'buy' your way to the top.  Granted, it's going to help you to have the better equipment when you get close, but you have to make the first few thousand steps on your own.

Peace.

• Ancellotti
    68 Posts
    Wed, Aug 4 2010 3:24 AM

Agree, this is what I like about this game. Only been playing it for a few months on and off but I reckon you can shave 10 strokes off a round after playing a course five times.

They say 10,000 hours of practice will make you an expert in anything. So by playing two hours a day I will be an expert by 2023.

Marvellous.

RSS