Forums

Help › Forums

New Tiers, Levels and Equipment

Fri, Aug 13 2010 4:13 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 3:59 PM

If you are not an Elite rated player, then you are going to get less than the maximum rated yardage for your clubs (all of them, less putter)... and you learn to adjust to the lesser yardages.  And, I like the idea of Elite and Master players playing from the back tees, Pros from the middle tees, and Amateurs and Hacks from the front tees.

Warren

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 4:31 PM

What if it's set up like the green speeds are now? The tee defaults to the higher rated player. Use what you want but you're playing under the higher  player's conditions.Obviously this applies to multi player but it could hold for MPCs.Tournaments could be regulated accordingly, either by tier, sub tier, equipment or whatever.

• PeterHopper
    1,315 Posts
    Wed, Aug 11 2010 9:21 PM

A big issue here would be that WGT potentially loses much needed income.

I suspect it makes a fair sum from people at least upgrading their driver at Pro and then their driver plus the rest at Masters.

You are potentially robbing them of the income from one driver purchase.

Unless you make a master driver more expensive for someone who has yet to earn the right to play with top quality clubs. i.e. A Pro gets a yardage % penalty and has to pay 20% more than a master for the big club.

• Script
    621 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 4:51 AM

KISSimple....this is a great game now...perhaps slightly in need of adjustment... but understandable.  It would be a shame to make it so complicated that one would have to spend more time reading the notes on changes than playing.  I'll never be a Lee (or a Warren) but I still enjoy the game.  It is so inexpensive that it is hard to see how the business model can even sustain itself.  It is too bad that so much time and energy has to be devoted to trying to control disreputable players.....

The % distance changes you describe for the various tiers would not be a big hardship but I don't see how it will actually improve game play, Warren.

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 8:42 AM

Warren

Tresclub:

I wonder about the possibility of opening up all the equipment to all players, regardless of rank, level or avg score.  Much like sporting goods stores and golf pro shops, anyone can walk in and buy any club their pocket book can afford.  I can go to my local golf pro shop and buy the same top of the line driver the pros use, but am I going to hit 300+ drives with it, not in my wildest dreams.  I could buy a set of those top of the line Ping irons, but am I going to shoot par with them, hell no (but I would sure look good trying…lol).

Now, here comes the caveat:  adjust the player’s “ability level” to match his tier ranking.  Let’s say Avatar Lee and all the “elite” players of his caliber have an ability level of 100.  Hacks would probably be at a 87 level (for the sake of this example), Amateurs at 91, Pros at 94 and Masters at 97.  Lee would get 100% of the rating of his equipment.  I am a Master, so I would get 97% of my clubs’ yardage ratings.  Lee uses the TM Super Tri Master rated at 278yds, so, he can get every bit of that yardage because his rating is Elite.  I use the Ping G10 Master driver rated at 270yds.  Since am a Master, I would get 97% of that yardage, or 262yds.  A Pro using the same driver as Lee would expect to get 94%, or 261yds.

Just a thought . . .

Warren...I think this can work, but only if it "fits" into the WGT's revenue model...that is one can only gain the added distance by paying for it once one reaches a new tier.  One other thought might be to add distance from the lesser tier upward...that is, the amateur gets the advertised distance, the pro gets 5-7% additional distance and the Master gets 10-12% more of the advertised distance...Harve

• AlaCowboy
    1,321 Posts
    Thu, Aug 12 2010 9:53 AM

GStapleton:

I would then assume that a Pro using Pro tier clubs would then get 100% of the rating for those.  Likewise a Amateur using amateur clubs would get 100% of those, but only say 96% out of Pro clubs?  Would an elite get 105% when using Pro clubs?  I can see a lot of potential in this "ability level" I am just curious how this would relate to higher tiers using a lower tiers equipment.  Just wondering since I have seen several Masters using Pro or even Starter clubs.

I believe 100% should be the maximum allowed. 

• Valrec
    70 Posts
    Fri, Aug 13 2010 4:13 AM

The OP is an interesting suggestion, and definitely warrants some thought.

I have reservations myself; the game is pretty hard as it is, and, as most who play regularly know, it takes a lot of practice to get good at it, and start to get good scores.

So, if the OP ideas were implemented, we would have a situation where the more experienced players, who  are better at the game anyway, would be able to hit furthur than the less experienced. Already, it is very hard for less experienced to get anywhere near the scores of the top players, and it would become even harder for them to do so if their clubs (assuming they were able to purchase master-level clubs) didn't hit as far.

Of course, I'm not suggesting that we should make the game easier for all players to hit the scores of the better players, it is right that the more experienced/better players post better scores than the less experienced, less skilled player,

But in my opinion this idea would widen the gap between the various levels of player's ability in the game even more, and would be discouraging in a big way for newcomers and semi-experienced players alike.

Also, the less-experienced player finds it harder to hit accurately, judge distances correctly, choose the right shot, the right club, etc, than the more experienced player, so there is already a skill-related aspect factored into the game as it stands.

Nonetheless, it is still an interesting idea that deserves consideration.

Valrec

• PAGES
RSS