Help › Forums

Disconnects etc.

rated by 0 users
Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:48 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bobgibbo
    11 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 11:02 AM

Have had loads of problems with game disconnecting recently but most annoying thing is today I started trying to connect to WGT at 1:15 pm. I managed to get in at around 6:30 pm. I have sent a complaint to WGT. Is anyone else having same problems?. I think that the most likely reason is that WGT can`t cope with the number of players. Any thoughts ?

• ZioMio
    4,680 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 12:32 PM

bobgibbo:
    Is anyone else having same problems?.

I'm not having any problems like that.

bobgibbo:
    I think that the most likely reason is that WGT can`t cope with the number of players

I really don't think that is what's causing your issue.

bobgibbo:
    Any thoughts ?

Have you tried to Ping WGT.com to see what your connection is like?

• lewpage07
    8 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 1:18 PM

Recently I have playing merrily along and for no apparent reason I have been disconnected which is usually not a problem because I can reconnect easily. However, on a couple of occasions it has happened 3 times in one game and i am disqualified. Each time this has happened, I happened to be leading (once by quite a bit) and that bites. But hey what are you going to do? Sue the best online game of golf around? Key word being 'game'. Just think you could be a Syrian civilian. Then you would have real problems . hehe

• pecanvalley
    2,242 Posts
    Sun, Sep 1 2013 5:31 PM

Yea, I was in the middle of a very good match play and message came up that WGT has lost connection and asvised to clean cacth, which I did and when I got back to the game was advisded I was "timed out and lost the match". Real bummer but as you said, things could be a lot worse.

• bobgibbo
    11 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 11:38 AM

I couldn`t get in again this afternoon. After about 2 hours of trtying I didget in but then got message that I could not connect to server.  I did a ping on a few web sites I visit with no problems. I pinged WGT quite a few times and got messages Request timed out. The best result I got was 4 Packets sent, 3 received. I have sent this info to WGT. I will await their reply. I always clear my cache, temp internet files, history etc.

Just tried now and got in with no problem.

My internet connection is 100% stable

• Dustyjack
    583 Posts
    Mon, Sep 2 2013 12:58 PM

bobgibbo:

Have had loads of problems with game disconnecting recently but most annoying thing is today I started trying to connect to WGT at 1:15 pm. I managed to get in at around 6:30 pm. I have sent a complaint to WGT. Is anyone else having same problems?. I think that the most likely reason is that WGT can`t cope with the number of players. Any thoughts ?

The same thing has been happening to me and always mid to late afternoon. It may only be happening to us guys on this side of the pond!

• bobgibbo
    11 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:02 AM

I have only cleared my cache since being told to do so by WGT. I don`t have any problems getting into site in the evening UK time. As Dusty said, it is always mid to late afternoon. There must be a reason for this. I have been a member since 2009 and this problem has only arisen in last couple of weeks.

• bobgibbo
    11 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 4:54 AM

Just got disconnected again whilst in the middle of a great game. Pinged WGT and didn`t work again. Just got back in. Not stopping as it`s getting so frustrating. Any other having same problems could you please e-mail WGT. They might do something about it. Whilst typing this I got disconnected again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Had to re-connect,

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Sep 3 2013 8:08 AM

hyena64:
    If you are clearing these too often, your connection & loading will suffer. Cache should really only be cleared after updates & club rentals.      :-)

Explain how my internet connection will suffer by clearing my computer cache. Bandwidth?  Latency? Loss?

Page loading will suffer by slowing down, but how much it slows down depends on your internet connection speed and computer speed.  With 25mbs download speed and a decent i5 processor the slow down is not a big deal for me. ;-)

Never clearing your cache, or infrequent clearing of the cache, has downsides too.  Once it gets full cache management has to decide which file or files to evict in order to cache the new file.  It takes a small amount of time to do that.  But it all adds up.

Another downside of not clearing cache is security.  Browser caches are favorite targets of malware. (AV software is not 100% foolproof)

Closely tied to how often to clear the cache is the size of your cache.  Too small and it fills up quickly.  Browsers have a default cache size and the default sizes have been increased gradually in new browser releases the question is are default sizes optimum for playing WGT.  BTW, I've doubled my cache size in Waterfox as I've got plenty of disk available.

Just for example, let's say playing 18 holes at Kiawah fills your cache.  Then you move over and play 18 at BPB which downloads BPB files and evicts Kiawah files.  Go back to Kiawah and you'll be downloading Kiawah files again.  In this extreme example its the same effect as clearing cache.

Obviously, room for research on optimum cache settings for WGT.

Lastly, consider changing "Cache should really only be cleared after updates & club rentals." to "Cache should be cleared after updates, club rentals & if you're having browser problems."

Clearing the cache is the #1 troubleshooting method for browsing problems and typically resolves many surfing issues.

• PAGES
RSS