Help › Forums

Putting Headache

rated by 0 users
Mon, Oct 7 2013 3:31 PM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Blackcat13
    6 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 6:15 AM

Hi-all this is my first post so will make it brief.

Been going a couple of months now have reached level51 Pro have upgraded my equipment am now reasonably happy with the majority of my game still learning obviously but I just cant get my head around putting.

The number of birdies/pars i have missed is unbelievable iget into some great positions then 3 putt from 5/6/ft away my i have read and watched the pieces i have found on this forum but still left scratching my head any help advice would be gratefully received

Many Thanks-

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 11:43 AM

Putting is the hardest part of the game to pick up. I've been here over 4 years and still find it hard to master. there isn't a magic way of doing it, it just takes time to learn and in just two months there is no way you can become a skilled putter.

looking at your stats greens in reg 61% scrambling 19% its your approach play that needs fine tuning. hitting the greens in regulation makes the putting easier. give your self more birdie chances and you'll make more pars and putts. putting pressure on yourself to get up and down from off the green makes holing out harder.

getting the ball into the right areas on the greens is vital remember its easier to putt uphill than across the slope or downhill.

approach shots are key hit the greens in reg and get the ball in the right areas.

but the golden rule to getting better is practise, practise, practise.

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 11:44 AM

Big subject...many opinions, and no right answer..

Search ------------------------->> 'putting formulas'

And find which one suits you best..

Mine is... 

+ or - the elevation and divide by 1.1 on Fast greens, 1.2 on V Fast greens  etc  etc....that should get you close, just need to fine tune then.

GL Andy

• gr8flbob
    592 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 12:06 PM

Here's some questions you need to ask yourself:

1. are your putting issues related to proper distance?

2. consistently long? or short? or mixed? do u have a formula for adapting to different green speeds?

3. what 'style' of achieving proper distance are you using?  'avatar moves' or '% of meter scale' (putter-pal, or home-made scale)?

3. misreading breaks?

4. not playing enough break, or reading too much break?

5. are u a 'ding it every putt' guy, or do you prefer 'off-ding' to help compensate for breaks?

Goal 1: find a way to get distance close every time; preferrably ~1-2 feet beyond the cup. ('Never up, never in!', Sally.)  I personally prefer calculation over 'gut feel', but some folks are math-averse, lol.

My tried and true formula: adjust 'applied distance' for green speed first: distance to pin times 1.1 SLOW; 1.0 STD; 0.9 FAST; 0.8 VFAST; 0.7 TOURNEY; 0.6 CHAMP. Then add or subtract elev (1 foot of power for inch of rise or fall to cup), finally add in that 1 - 2 ft extra 'safety margin' to ensure your putt actually gets to the back of the hole.

Be careful of that elevation correction for big (>2 feet) rises or drops to the cup! Due to rounding, that - 3 ft elev. down-hiller can be anywhere between 30" and 42" down! you can find the low and high side of that range by dragging the aiming point from short of the hole (where elev changes to -2 ft, indicating 30") then out to well beyond the hole to where the drop jumps to -4' (indicating -42") - then it's using grid color to fine-tune your estimate of actual elevation change.

Goal 2: (only after you've mastered distance) improve ability to read and compensate for breaks, which comes only through practice practice practice, together with adapting techniques that work for your style of play. If you're going to err, make it on the HIGH side of cup - you'll have a tap-in if your distance was correct, on any miss on the high 'pro side' of the cup. If you play too little break, any miss will be headed downhill with a gravity assist - often to surprisingly long come-back putts!

I've found a combination of shifting the aiming point as required, then just missing the ding on the 'uphill side of the break' works for me to 'die the putt' into, or very near, the cup. The penalty for using off-ding methods is a loss in distance (proportional to how far off-ding you make contact) so use with caution on big breaks.

• HAMINH
    119 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 12:43 PM

Nowaday putting is effected by WGT VEM much more than in the past (6 months ago). So high precision putters are really needed. Wait until L55+ & by Daytona or better precision putters, it will help your putt much more than your thought, surely. Or better way, wait until L94+ & buy $40 luxury Versa one, it be sure you will see big difference. 

I used to be headache of putting 1 month ago when i used Starter putter (which i have used & stick with it from the day i first been here as newbie 2 years ago). I had not changed it because i could make many good result with it 1 year s ago. But recently, I saw my putts lipped out & sort of power much much more than usual so i decided to buy higher precision one. I see big difference. Maybe my best decision in this game so far (:

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 12:43 PM

Blackcat13:
    The number of birdies/pars i have missed is unbelievable iget into some great positions then 3 putt from 5/6/ft away

I play many Very Fast Green RG's and CC Tourneys, for the most part I play less break and hit "one to one" for putts 10 feet and under..

I/e if I am 7.5 feet away, assume level-ish, I hit about 1/2 of my 15 foot scale..firmer struck putts seem to drop more often for me.

• gsoup
    2,929 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:17 PM

putting problems, naa never

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:33 PM

Gsoup

Got

Some

Old

Ugly

Putter

;)

• IRISHPUNK
    4,019 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:44 PM

Blackcat13:

Hi-all this is my first post so will make it brief.

Been going a couple of months now have reached level51 Pro have upgraded my equipment am now reasonably happy with the majority of my game still learning obviously but I just cant get my head around putting.

The number of birdies/pars i have missed is unbelievable iget into some great positions then 3 putt from 5/6/ft away my i have read and watched the pieces i have found on this forum but still left scratching my head any help advice would be gratefully received

Many Thanks-

I'll make it brief too...  

(1) Use chip view to verify the break.  Make sure that you are looking at the putt from the front and the back but the back is more important.  In chip view, you will find that the "dots" go all the way from the hole to your ball.  In putt view, some of the "dots" are missing.  This is particularly helpful on double breakers and on seeing what the dots are doing by your ball.  The movement by your ball is as or more important than what the dots are doing by the hole.  This is key!  If the putt starts out "off line" you have little chance of making it.

(2)  Play the odds on the heavy breaking putts.  Meaning "miss the ding."  If the putt is breaking heavy left to right, you need to "pull"  the putt to help keep it on line.  Meaning, you want to hit early of the ding line.

If the putt is breaking hard left to right, miss the ding late.  This gives the putt a "push" effect and helps keep it above the hole for extra roll or two that you need to make the putt.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,572 Posts
    Mon, Oct 7 2013 1:59 PM

Agree with Bags, on fast /v fast greens 10 foot and under I hit 1:1 as well.

Hey Punk, ur last para needs correcting.

• PAGES
RSS