Forums

Help › Forums

Calling BS

Mon, Jan 6 2014 3:46 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 4:10 PM

In the beginning I lost so many balls on that hole. I followed the advice of my higher tiered friends and stopped losing my balls. That's what the good guys are here for. Keep playing, have fun and soon that hole will be a birdie 9 out of ten times.

Renni

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Jan 4 2014 11:57 PM

alosso:
    Countless legal but less-than-optimal ones

"less than optimal" ?  :))

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 1:17 AM

I'm afraid that all the other words I tried were blocked as foul language ;)

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 1:49 AM

alosso:

I'm afraid that all the other words I tried were blocked as foul language ;)

Can happen..:)

• poppagolf
    55 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 7:59 AM

in real life we would find our golf balls,the same thing happened to me ,lost a ball after hitting hit only 1 yard, thats crap,balls are expensive to buy but i think sometimes we get ripped off.penalise us a shot but give us our balls back please wgt we do spend a lot of money on this game

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 11:13 AM

alanti:
    #18 Congressional is another hole that immediately springs to mind.

I can understand CCC18 simply because if you stick to the rule that the drop is the point of entry into the hazard, no closer to the hole, you can see why it is the way it is. The complaint is with the lie of the drop just like Kia17-that's not real.

The only scenario I can come up with is that the hazard on Kia2 is not a hazard but is marked OB. I saw that once in an AS game on the shot the OP made. It isn't consistent, though, because I've hit into that hazard and never saw the OB message. If it is mapped as OB then I see why the shot goes back to the original lie.

Interesting aside to Kia2-that sand running through the fairway in the landing zone off the tee is gone now IRL-it's all fairway.  :-)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 4:37 PM

Did anyone ever wonder where a new view came from? Let me explain. You have played a course hundreds of times, lost balls, been in the weeds, in the rough, etc. One time you find yourself with a WTF is this shot. You are in a position you have never seen before regardless of how your shot turned out. I have seen a few of these. These are in my opinion, locations that have been mapped from day one. WGT can put these into play whenever they want to and we are completely unaware of these. Just my take on it and I am a believer. Been here too long to have the $hit slung in my face. 

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sun, Jan 5 2014 10:32 PM

YankeeJim:
    I can understand CCC18 simply because if you stick to the rule that the drop is the point of entry into the hazard, no closer to the hole, you can see why it is the way it is. The complaint is with the lie of the drop just like Kia17-that's not real.

I agree with Kia #17, but CCC18 also "can" defy the rules. R-L wind and left side of fairway, the point the ball crosses the hazard can be at a point where the ball could be dropped behind the hazard and no closer to the hole (in line). 

In addition most clubs have local rules and establish a "drop zone", of which by memory was also in play for the US Open. (Also is this deemed a lateral hazard? - if so it would explain a drop zone - I have not noticed if they are red stakes).

I fully understand that programming a line directly behind the hazard entry point and the hole would be too difficult, but by  establishing  standard drop zones would be fairest overall.

As a golfer I cannot remember hitting a ball into a hazard and suffering s stroke and distance penalty. Out of Bounds, yes, water hazard, no.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Mon, Jan 6 2014 3:46 AM

I've only seen some white stakes sometimes (STA B9, RSG#14). Like Pro tournaments, there are no other stakes shown here AFAIK.

The real CCC#18 has lateral water around the green, I was told, and I saw some red lines on the ground in a Pro tourney 2012. An eager golfer should be able to get a drop around the green sometimes according to Rule 26-1 c), but it's certainly too much mapping effort for this game. Excluding this option, the other common option from 26-1 b) "back on the line from the pin" is not feasable most of the time since you'd have to cross the pond to #6 (greenside) or #10 (tee), close to the Clubhouse. Nobody would choose this. When hitting the water short left, sometimes we get a drop from this option in the rough on that side. For any other outcome, the only option left is 26-1 a), which indeed is called "stroke and distance" (pointer to 27-1).

Drop zones? We can only guess where they apply and "why not?" in the other situations.

• PAGES
RSS