Help › Forums

your musical progression.

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 9 2014 2:02 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 6:24 PM

Just thought i would try and start a thread about music folks, but not how it is at the moment, or what you are listening too now.  This thread is all about how you came across music in your life, and the path it took you along the way.

A natural progression of your musical tastes if you like? My story is like this:

I was a young lad in school, with not a care in the world about anything. I never really had a notion about music until about 3rd year in school ( around 8 or 9 years of age ). I remember my parents where always playing Elvis and the likes on the radio ( radio luxemburg on the old radio music things that looked like a wooden cabinet , lol ). Heres my favorite Elvis song:

I remember when Elvis died, my mother was in tears, and she said to me that 1 of the greatest singers in the world had just passed away. I vaguely remembered who Elvis was at the time, but i do remember that moment. It was about then that i started to listen to music, but my timing might be wrong here.

I kinda knew Elvis through the folks and the radio, but my first real memory of music was the Bay city rollers, lol. Come on now folks, who didn't like the Bay city rollers at the time? But i took no real notice of music until i was in the 5th year of primary school (about 9 years of age) Here is my memory of the Bay city rollers then:

Strange as it may seem to those who know, but my next memory is in school. I was sitting there yapping about the Bay city rollers when 1 of the lads started laughing. I was way behind the times, and felt i had to know what was the scene then, so to speak. It turned out that Ska was the music at the time ( a long time between both sets of music, i know) Lets just say i was more interested in how things worked in the outback so to speak. My favorite Ska song is here:

So, i move on in life, and go onto secondary school, where i meet the woman who has stolen my heart, never to be gotten back. We where together through our 4 years in secondary school, and she was mad into Bob Marley, and all things reggae. My first song i ever heard in reggae is this 1:

Life moves on and i have discovered Rave music. I have taken on to some serious *** in my life in the meantime, but music always plays a part in it all the way. But after meeting a head ( who i never met before ) who sits there with me for most of the night, he says to me that music is one of those things that can make or break a man. It was then that i realised that music is all about how you feel at the time, and not who you are.My favorite rave songs:

Well, might as well stick the whole album up, it is progression after all.

Now its over to you folks. let us know how you progressed through the music in your life, and maybe this can work out like the "lets be honest" thread that i think is brilliant.

Apologies if my video linked links haven't worked, but i am out of this world right now, lol. Have fun folks, i did.

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 6:47 PM

Nice idea for a thread man. Those links that dont work - repost them, but take the S off the https bit at start of url -   http://www etc.

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 7:12 PM

Cheers Paul, have done, but in my inebriated state, i will come back to it tomorrow, lol. It would be nice to see more input here though, so get it together folks, let us know the details.

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 8:00 PM

Interesting conversation. :)

I'd say it started for me with the theme songs to cartoons on TV. Flintstones, Jetsons, Spiderman and Speed Racer. I always was more interested in the music that started the shows than the cartoons themselves. At the time it hit me that the drummers were kicking *** on these songs. My parents got me my first kids drumset at about age 7-8 and I pounded it into the ground in about a week.

Fast forward a couple of years and I see the back label of a KISS album. The stage had fire and the drum-kit was on an elevated riser about 20 feet above the stage. That was the moment I said to myself, "I want to be that guy". Started listening to Rock and Roll of any kind but mostly Kiss. Within a year I convince my folks to get me a real drumset and I would take drum lessons.

High school begins and I'm several years into playing. Start meeting other musicians in school and start playing in bands in the first year. By spring of that year our house is hosting the bands in our basement. By now I'm into a hardcore learning phase of every Led Zeppelin song. I'm also listening to the Who, Cream, Stones, Sabbath and most anything that the others want to play. By Senior year, I'm playing and listening to Heavy Metal to Jazz. Went on to Music School where I'm exposed to everything imaginable. Really got into the Scorpions, RUSH, Metalica and W.A.S.P. for a while. The Dixie Dregs also were a pretty good band.

Fast forward 10 years and I'm winding down my decade of decadence of Metal Band playing and listening. I suppose my tastes mellowed off with that. What I listen to most are bands that have very good musicians and the songs have strong and well written lyrics.  Could be anyone that catches my ear at this point. Heck I like Locked out of Heaven by Bruno Mars and most anything Volbeat plays.

~CD~

• alcaucin
    9,041 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 9:10 PM

TWOMINUSONE:
    but in my inebriated state, i will come back to it tomorrow, lol.

^^ Ditto, gonna take some thinking about what were the seminal tunes through my current life cycle...Mmmmm ??   Manana.

Andy

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 9:43 PM

We always had music in my house growing up, my old man was a good pianist and could play anything by ear, and very well. But he was mainly into jazz and  classical. But despite having a piano in the house all my life, I refused to learn it as my father and I never saw eye to eye.

But one day I heard Jimmy Hendrix and I was hooked on any electric guitar (I had been given an  acoustic  guitar as a birthday present when I was about 8). 

So my musical influences were from the likes of Led Zep, Queen, Hendrix etc - or any band that had a good guitar lick.

When I was 15 I  bought  my first electric guitar, an Ibanez and formed a band. the first of many, starting with covers and graduating to originals. Were we good? Hell yeah, well it pulled the chicks lol, but musically I sort of cringe if I hear it now. But i do remember having a  rehearsal  for a gig at my mates place (about 2 miles away from where I lived) and when I got home my mum said, that was a good practice today!!! Well she heard it from home it was so loud lol - the session was cut short after a visit by the police - the only time I ever was remotely in trouble with the police. 

Was in high school in the late 70s and rebelled against disco (except a disco was a very good place to meet ....never mind , I digress). So punk/new wave was my desired music, something that could still have a good solid guitar pelting out 3 or 4 chords with the occasional solo.

Then I left Australia to do my OE in  Europe  and the US and sold the love of my life a 63 Strat. And apart from meeting a few musicians in London (including Rory Gallagher - another guitarist I liked) and having a jam or two with the likes of Madness i North London (a mate was friends with them) I gave up on becoming a musician (was a second choice after being a pro tennis player, but thats another story)  and went to a flight  academy. The one advantage was I did meet some top musicians as a result of my career, just jealous as lol.

I never lost my love of music and it encompasses all genres except country (even then I do like a couple of country songs) but still love anything with a solid guitar in it. I have always had my walkman/cd/ipod/mp players when travelling and spend most of my time listening to music when in hotels.

But I can listen to Opera, Punk, Rock. Techno, Rap. Blues, Metal, Jazz, Soul........basically anything.

I still play the guitar occasionally but not very well these days.

One of my first records I bought had The Who on one side, Jimmy  Hendrix  on the other - I had 2 volumes (I think there were 3 released) and I think they are worth quite a bit in good nick nowdays) but mine got thrashed to death, and unhappy  neighbors  would testify to that.

I have waffled enough, great thread.

• patriciawilliams
    3,273 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 11:19 PM

For me, memory wise and still a lovely memory indeed is….  Stairway to Heaven….

My 3rd year in high school , we had a charity event to raise money for the elders in our community. As I was on student council, a few of us came up with the idea of an all night dance-a-thon to raise money.

Excitement was flowing throughout the school ( who at that age doesn't love music and to dance?) There was at least 76 contestants. The dance-a-thon started on a Saturday at 1pm and lasted until the last person/s stood dancing lol….

The gymnasium was full of blankets and pillows, ( allowed a 10 minute break every hour) refreshments flowing, lights low …..feet were moving fast and then a couple slow songs, and again fast, all night long….as the night proceeded into the early hours of am, there was about 11 of us left…you then would grab another partner ( mine died off quick , never did go out with him again lol ) or you danced alone.

It was about 6am, and I was just exhausted , thought to myself, I can't do this…..well, needless to say ' Stairway to Heaven' came on, and there approached me was one hot guy, so we danced, but the friggin song was just way tooooo long for me, after 4 minutes in….my eyes were drooping, feet were on his ( letting him do the work ) and just couldn't finish the song……I always wonder today , if a fast song came on instead, if I would have woken up more and kept on going….

On the bright side, I did get a whole 4 minutes of being in his arms….

I still have warm memories of this today when that song comes on……:-))

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Sat, Feb 1 2014 11:34 PM

patriciawilliams:
     Stairway to Heaven

Still in my eyes the best rock song ever written! And I learnt to play this song at school and could woo the girls at lunchtime at school lol. Still get the guitar out at the odd party and play this - all these years later people still love it, but only problem is it no longer woos anyone - perhaps thats just my age :)

• TWOMINUSONE
    2,580 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:37 AM

Great input folks, nice to see how some of us have progressed in our music likes throughout the years. Im sober...ish now lol, and have fixed the links above.

Alanti, you jammy git, you got it on with Suggs and the boys, would have loved to have seen that. I also bought myself a Bass guitar when i was younger, as i love that deep down feeling the Bass gives. It is still my favourite instrument today. The things was, no matter how hard i tried, i could never pick it up. I was always better at the football, lol.

I just wanted to add that i have a love for all kinds of music today, if that music has a good rhythm. Hell, im even liking that Dubstep stuff, but that probably comes from the deep and heavy rhythm like tones of the Bass. What i cant stand though, is all that manufactured crap that the likes of Pete waterman throws out. Yes, a good tune can be made this way, but when its just the same beat over and over again, it gets me mad.

Anyways, over to the next person. Just wanted to bump this post up.

• patriciawilliams
    3,273 Posts
    Sun, Feb 2 2014 1:01 PM

alanti:
    the best rock song ever written

Totally agree, you can't go wrong with Zeppelin…..Hendrix, SuperTramp, ….Rush definitely. 

alanti:
    but only problem is it no longer woos anyone

Nothing is better than sitting around a campfire with someone playing acoustic and singing….

alanti:
    perhaps thats just my age
     Music still rules the world, and can woo anyone today…lol

• PAGES
RSS