Forums

Help › Forums

It is Entirely Possible to get Worse at This Game With Enough Practice

Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:07 PM (25 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 2:36 PM

Well folks, it finally happened ! I've been a TM for over a year and practiced almost daily, only to find that my average distance to pin has actually increased from 18' ( which was bad enough ) to 19' ! How sweet is that ? Maybe I can go for 20' in 2015 !

Doc :)

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 4:01 PM

I hear ya Doc. I understand it doesn't happen to some folks on here. They are blessed with perfect execution on every round, never have a skip, stutter, or a what utter ever. They constantly are improving and think some of us are crazy or just like to complain. I would love to have their fortunate luck for a couple of weeks. No conspiracy theories here, so the trolls don't have to reply. I just suck, I know it, and it is all me and my computer and my failure to do this and that and all other Thingies(that's a Miffy word) and whatever else I am doing wrong. We must accept what we are Doc, we are way too honest to improve. I still believe if you need a little gauge taped to your computer to putt you are not a golfer you are a gamer. This is a game, it is not real golf. I choose to golf.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 7:20 PM

Lol, Renni. I got's me the little thingy taped to my screen which I've used since my first month here. I bought's me the top of the line equipment as it was back in the day since ( 2011). I was buyin' the $4.50 a sleeve slow meter Callies, but tired of spendin' that kind of bucks to have them robbed., so I've been using $.99 balls instead. I think it's just wonderful that after a year of playing stroke daily, a TM with  579  ranked rounds can actually go backwards.

Note to WGT:

Dear Sirs / Madames,

To the best of my knowledge, I have not sustained any physical or mental impairment over the last year and a half. I would certainly welcome any explanation as to why my distance to pin average has actually increased by 1', despite playing almost daily over that time period. Anyone can suger-coat this anyway they want, but, bottom line, you, (WGT) have effed this game up.

Doc :(

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 7:24 PM

Just as a Joe Public turning up to play, I am simply not seeing any of this.  

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 7:48 PM

As i said Jim, it doesn't happen to every one, only the ones who suck at this game regardless of the time we spend on here. I have almost 2000 ranked rounds. I am just a newbie still trying to learn.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 8:07 PM

When it comes to the game of golf, some players are great, some players are good, and some players are just mediocre. Even in a virtual golf game.

One Sunday a guy told me he shot a 68 on 18 holes, I said, "that's great." So I enthusiastically told him, "I played 18 holes today as well", he asked, "what did you shoot", I said, "a 94", he said, "well, as long as you had fun, that's all that counts."

True story.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 10:29 PM

Richard4168:
    "well, as long as you had fun, that's all that counts."

No truer words spoken Richard.

I am not very good at this game, some days I surprise myself and play well, and others I am my own mediocre self. But I always have fun.

The day I no longer have fun is the day I sign off.

Yes it is frustrating to be struck down by a WTF moment, but they do not happen every hole, so if some people think they do, then I think they need to re-examine what they are actually doing.

• Chinajohn
    1,190 Posts
    Wed, Mar 19 2014 11:11 PM

Yup!!

The other day I had a wonderful round on Congressional, shot a 27. 9 one putts, an Eagle all my approaches within 10ft and a distance to pin average of 7ft.

Yesterday on the same course in a CC tournament with light winds I shot a 31 putting average 1.56, average distance to pin 14ft! Loads of WTFs? Well no actually! I had two kids at home, plus my wife and their parents. So:

1 x supposed to aim 8 foot right, except I aim 8 foot left.

1 x forgot to aim period!

1 x totally brainfarted the calculation and went 30yards through the green.

1 x forgot to put the backspin on the ball and bounced through another green.

2 x missed gimme putts, one from 3 foot another from 5.

Hell who needs WTFs? I can screw this game up without any help!

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 2:00 AM

Richard4168:

One Sunday a guy told me he shot a 68 on 18 holes, I said, "that's great." So I enthusiastically told him, "I played 18 holes today as well", he asked, "what did you shoot", I said, "a 94", he said, "well, as long as you had fun, that's all that counts."

True story.

Very well said.

• borntobesting
    9,683 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 2:03 AM

Chinajohn:

Yup!!

The other day I had a wonderful round on Congressional, shot a 27. 9 one putts, an Eagle all my approaches within 10ft and a distance to pin average of 7ft.

Yesterday on the same course in a CC tournament with light winds I shot a 31 putting average 1.56, average distance to pin 14ft! Loads of WTFs? Well no actually! I had two kids at home, plus my wife and their parents. So:

1 x supposed to aim 8 foot right, except I aim 8 foot left.

1 x forgot to aim period!

1 x totally brainfarted the calculation and went 30yards through the green.

1 x forgot to put the backspin on the ball and bounced through another green.

2 x missed gimme putts, one from 3 foot another from 5.

Hell who needs WTFs? I can screw this game up without any help!

2 x  forgot to change back to full after lining the shot up with the pitch mode. 

RSS