Forums

Help › Forums

It is Entirely Possible to get Worse at This Game With Enough Practice

Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:07 PM (25 replies)
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:02 AM

Thank you all for your comments, & yes I'm still having fun, albeit moreso in the forums and in AS than trying to play stroke. I just find it truly fascinating that after a year of trying everything concievable to lower my distance to pin average, I've actually managed to make it worse. Same equipment ( which functions exactly the same as the day it was purchased, according to YJ and a few others) same reasonably priced balls, one more years experience allowing for variables within game play and ... drumroll... 1 Ft. further from pin. If you cannot see the humor in this, you're simply not looking at it from my perspective.

Doc :)

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 4:42 AM

I hear what you're saying Mr Moose. Since I made TL my whole game has gone downhill. Only the green speed changes but you'd never know it from here.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 5:44 AM

I do have fun, probably more than I should.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 6:05 AM

drmoose:
    . Same equipment ( which functions exactly the same as the day it was purchased, according to YJ and a few others)

Just my experience. I don't know any more than you do.

Maybe if you didn't cancel AS games when a TL shows up you might get some pointers.  :-)

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 8:43 AM

Didn't play for about 3 weeks  awhile  ago....lost interest plus some personnel stuff to take care of. Been playing 1 or 2 rounds a day now for about a week ....seems things have gotten better...don't know why. Scored a 61 at  Marion-high winds....never did that before.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 9:31 AM

Courtneyfish, I would fully expect things to go downhill if I had tiered up , but, I've been stuck at TM for well over a year.

YJ, buddy, you & I have covered all the bases when it comes to this topic, and I believe you and the others who say it has not been their experience. Lol, about the TL thing tho, I've never backed out of an AS game for any reason, oh wait, I think I suggested to drop match once when company showed up unannounced, in the interest of domestic tranquility ;)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 10:04 AM

drmoose:
    about the TL thing tho, I've never backed out of an AS game for any reason,

I guess the game just timed out then yesterday right after I joined. I thought it was the comment about moose turds all over the tee that blew it.  ;-)

And on your current malaise-quick question. Do you pitch and chip? I'm assuming you punch.  The reason I ask is because I was in your shoes way back when and I distinctly remember the feeling of going nowhere fast while others passed me like I was standing still. THAT is when I decided to see what other kinds of shots besides flops worked around the greens and things turned right around. 

Once you learn the other shots you become fearless about getting up and down and it releases you to be aggressive in your approaches. Then the strokes start dropping. Did for me, anyway. :-)

• cpjs
    121 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:44 PM

very true YJ.

I. once played a guy who  was very good with a flopshots around the green

He told me to try to master that flopshot to and it would lower my scores.

I've master it and Iam very thankfull for that tip.

regards,cpjs

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 12:55 PM

Lol, I prefer to do my business in the bushes whenever proper facilities are not available:)  I normally pitch, am pretty fond of flop from 18 to 24 yds out, rarely chip unless within 1 or 2 yds of green, punch when I'm in the deep cabbage and will use a full shot for anything else. As I said to Renni, I've got a transparent overlay (homemade shot pal to help judge distances) that I've used since I started playing almost 3 years ago. At one time I was pretty deadly with that setup, even holing three approach shots for eagles in the same day, and then it all kinda fell apart. Courses I was killing got tough to break par. Distance to pin went up. I have managed to drop my putting average from 1.76 to 1.71  in the years time so the upside is I'm gettin' better at making long putts, but I'd just about kill to get somewhere around a 12' DTP average.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Mar 20 2014 1:30 PM

drmoose:
    but I'd just about kill to get somewhere around a 12' DTP average.

Here's an exercise for you, might help if you're up to it-go with 4 wedges until you make Legend. You're at the driver/wedge stage of the game as a TM and going with 4 wedges is going to force you into a different game. I never even had a real 3W until I made Legend.

You already know how to use all of the shots and eschewing the 3W will make you think different. A 3i instead of a 3W is going to change your approaches and make you think about what to do. Have 2-3 different ways to get to the green-overclub choked,under club top spin, punch, etc. With what you already know you'll be gaining on the game and your game will show it. :-)

RSS