Forums

Help › Forums

They all look the same to me!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:00 PM (4 replies)
  • unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 7:09 AM

Ok guys I've decided to make a push for TL, although I've only played a total of 588 ranked rounds, and I have no idea how many as a Legend, I need to make a significant drop in my scores for when I reach 500 RR as legend.

My putting is not too bad and getting better, 1.47 avg and 53% 1 putt, so I figured I have to get my approach shots closer and reach more par 5's in 2......which means more distance.......which means bigger sticks and better balls.

So

I have 4 choices at present for a new driver......

L88 Big Bertha

L83 XHot

L85 Covert

L89 SLDR

Now apart from a couple hundred creds in prices, they are identical.......So which should I go for.

Oh and while I'm being all undecided......I think.......Is the Big Betha 3 wood worth it over my R11 for that extra 5yrds?

Cheers people

• GlassMan27
    573 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 7:26 AM

I haven't played any of the drivers you mention, so can't help you there. I can say that the Big Bertha 3 wood is a huge improvement over the standard R11. There is more than a 5 yard increase in distance (had one carry 272 into a 6mph headwind the other day, though that's not the norm) and the extra spin comes in quite handy on the par 5s. Also, to me, even though the numbers are the same, I think the BB is a touch more forgiving and slightly more precise. Just don't seem to have the wayward 'dinged' shots and the slight misses seem to be punished less.

Cheers

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 8:02 AM

Before you make the dash , you still have a long way to go . So wait before you start upgrading your clubs . You will have to play 500 ranked rounds , just to saturate your average . So take your time , because thats what you have right now . Start with a better ball first , for now . Play your levels up , and wait until you reach level 90+ , before you start your club upgrades . You want your next upgrade to maybe  be the last one that you will ever need . So if you take this approach , who knows what new clubs will be available , for when you are ready to make that move . Food for thought .

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:32 AM

Get the SLDR and TaylorMade irons/wedges.

For putting - Nike Method or Versa.

• unclenewy
    334 Posts
    Wed, Apr 2 2014 10:00 PM

GlassMan27:

I haven't played any of the drivers you mention, so can't help you there. I can say that the Big Bertha 3 wood is a huge improvement over the standard R11. There is more than a 5 yard increase in distance (had one carry 272 into a 6mph headwind the other day, though that's not the norm) and the extra spin comes in quite handy on the par 5s. Also, to me, even though the numbers are the same, I think the BB is a touch more forgiving and slightly more precise. Just don't seem to have the wayward 'dinged' shots and the slight misses seem to be punished less.

Cheers

Thanks GlassMan,

That may well have just sold me on it.

lonniescott711:

Before you make the dash , you still have a long way to go . So wait before you start upgrading your clubs . You will have to play 500 ranked rounds , just to saturate your average . So take your time , because thats what you have right now . Start with a better ball first , for now . Play your levels up , and wait until you reach level 90+ , before you start your club upgrades . You want your next upgrade to maybe  be the last one that you will ever need . So if you take this approach , who knows what new clubs will be available , for when you are ready to make that move . Food for thought .

I get what you're saying Lonnie, but I only play maybe two rounds per week on average so I figured if I make every round count to bring my Avg down, then I wouldn't have to keep grinding away once I got to 500RR as Legend.

Also, I'm playing in the  virtual tour, and even though I've made the money in both stroke play rounds, I feel I'm at a little disadvantage with my equipment.

I know I'm never gonna be a consistent mid 50's shooter, but I've just shot my 1st 56, I've had a few 57's and shot 58 in both 1st rounds of the Transamerica and GolfNow without too many restarts, so I know I can play a little, I just need a few more wedges to green instead of 8 and 9 irons and a few more eagle putts on par 5's, and maybe I can break 60 a little more often.

But I think I'll take your advice and upgrade my balls once I've used my Callys and see where that takes me, along with the new 3 wood.

RSS