Forums

Help › Forums

This may cause a major outburst against the Squirrel.

Mon, Jun 2 2014 2:27 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 3:10 PM

I was just watching the Fox 5 news here in Atlanta. All the media was there to film a group of National Guard being deployed overseas. Crying wives, babies and so forth. I am wondering if the media have anything to really report. I was deployed way back in the days. I was not on TV, I had a wife and a 2 year old daughter. Nobody gave a flying horse $hit except my family. I was doing the job I enlisted to do. Why do we have to advertise all this drama in the news. Why don't we just E-mail the country we will be occupying and tell them the number of troops and their specialties. That way they can be totally prepared for our arrival. Open bar and a huge buffet when we get there. WTF is going on now a days?

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 4:06 PM

In our day Sir ,

The news was on for 1/2 hour . 

If you were lucky your family had a TV that got 3 channels . ours was in B&W 

Now the news is on from 4:00 to 7:30 on 6 different channels and then the same clips at 10:00 or 11:00 for a hour .

I remember when my brother came home from Nam and some guy spit on him and called him a Baby Killer .

Times have changed Sir And I think it is a good thing . 

You did your part , Stand Tall and Proud .

OPY

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 4:19 PM

I lean toward what my Father belives. It is this: at age 18 everyone goes to some branch of military service for two years...period. Rich or poor, white or any color, healthy or lame, Mensa or moron, straight or a goose...everyone...period. Just serving and paying for the Freedom.

• BubbaCrusher007
    1,567 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 4:32 PM

What we are spending another gazilloin dollars to go police some bs somewhere again?

That's ok we can afford it, we are only  20 trillion in debt.

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 4:49 PM

opyeuclid:

I remember when my brother came home from Nam and some guy spit on him and called him a Baby Killer .

LOL, same thing happened to me minus the spit, that would have been bad for them, once at the airport by those krishna people who used to chant and all that sh!t around airports, once in a restaurant sitting by a group of "hippies", and the 3rd time by my own cousin...LOL

The didn't work out too good for the hippie with the big mouth girlfriend, after 8 months of he!! i wasn't in the mood for it, besides we didn't kill babies unless they were carrying a rifle that weighed more than they did...

That has crossed my mind many times Renni, we were in Laos 95% of the time(even though we officially were not there) and we couldn't write about it, or say a word to anyone for fear of a court martial....

• ApexPC
    3,164 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 5:05 PM

BubbaCrusher007:

What we are spending another gazilloin dollars to go police some bs somewhere again?

That's ok we can afford it, we are only  20 trillion in debt.

Because that's how the rich, stay rich - selling all the stuff needed to wage war.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 5:33 PM

I really hope I don't catch hell for this post. I just don't understand the media these days. When I was sent on a remote tour my family hugged me and wished me a safe return. When I came home my family was waiting and gave me all the hugs and love. Now days it seems like it has to be a major news flash. I am just too old school I guess. 

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 5:37 PM

What has always gotten under my skin , is that its always tears for the weekend warriors , when they have to go serve . Nothing has ever been said about the free checks they received during peace time . But never a mention , about the full time soldiers , who serve 24/7 . The ones who leave their families behind , for 18 months to 2 years , at a time .

I joined during the Iran hostage crisis back in the late 70s . Second generation military . My father and both uncles served . I never expected a parade , or the red carpet treatment either. Hell it was my pleasure to serve . Some times , I wish that I could turn back the clock , and do it all over again . Boy did I have a ball .:-)

• ISH47
    1,963 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 5:49 PM

renniw52:
    I really hope I don't catch hell for this post.

Who the funk would have the balls to do that?  I certainly wouldn't.. I appreciate you boss.

• renniw52
    5,385 Posts
    Thu, May 29 2014 5:56 PM

I have all the respect in the world for the guard, it just hit me wrong tonight when I saw all the hoopla for a normal deployment. I understand it is hard to leave a wife and young children behind, been there done that. Let's spend some media time on our boys who have come home from real deployments who are having problems. I will spend my money on that to give them all the welcome home love I can. I may need to stop here before I really go off the deep end. I don't expect anyone who has never served active duty in a less than desirable situation to understand my rant here. Please forgive me and don't hold it against me. 

Thank you.

Rich

• PAGES
RSS