Help › Forums

New to Game!

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 18 2014 6:28 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • karterdad
    2 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 6:00 PM

Hi everybody! Just started playing seriously a few days ago and looking for groups to join. Any tips to expedite that would be welcomed. Look me up if you need a 3rd or 4th.

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 8:09 PM

Welcome, bud.  If I may impart some wisdom, when you're ready to upgrade your equipment, you should first invest in a good set of irons with a slow meter.  A lot of golfers on this site, including myself, went with a driver first, but that was a mistake. The driver does you no good if you are putting from 35 feet all the time because you can't control your approach shots from the fairway.  The starter irons (and balls for that matter) are terrible.  Absolutely no loft (irons) and no bite (balls), which is something by now you already know!  Then you need to invest in a good putter, and THEN you buy the driver.   If only I had done it that way!  As far as balls are concerned, the level 34 Callys are good for now, but the level 80 Nikes are great too. Obviously, if you have the money then go with the 700 credit Nike RZN's, but some can't afford balls in that price range (me!).  Golf is life my friend!  And life is all about patience.  

Good luck!

Doug

• courteneyfish
    15,796 Posts
    Sun, Jun 15 2014 9:46 PM
    Welcome sir. I disagree with Dougie about clubs but as you didn't ask for equipment advice I won't elucidate. Lots of advice available on the forum so just ask.
  • txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 12:51 AM

First and last time I'll ever do it........Been here since '12 and you're just now serious about the game......How did you do that, man?.....I've been way too serious about this from the get go, just ask my nightly wife fight.

I gotta take a breath.

The only reason I'm posting in the forums this evening is because I finally got a 400 yard drive and I'm trolling for the best response and/or joke.

Thin ice , I know.....But I will send a gift to the winner.

And I am the judge and jury of my tourney. I deviate as often as I want , so take that in stride and run with it. And the gift will be of my choice as well .As needed is the general M.O.             ~txz~

• TNP56
    510 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 6:34 AM

do what Dougie advised u to do and u will do ok until u get the hang of things

• karedak
    1,049 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 11:33 AM

nice 400yd drive is it tarmac or concrete lol,,,,, imao well done on the drive 

if my joke wins give prize to someone who needs something 

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 1:55 PM

karedak:
    nice 400yd drive is it tarmac or concrete lol

Either at Cabo 4 or SA 10.  I did mine at SA 10.  I set up an unlimited CC tourney with heavy wind and then...boom!  404 yards.  :-)

• WGTyphoon
    597 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 2:16 PM

Welcome and best of luck on the game!

• hpurey
    11,505 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 3:34 PM

karterdad:
    looking for groups to join. Any tips to expedite that would be welcomed.

Welcome to the game.   

My advice,  join random games with people of similar tier and level.  You'll find a few that you get along with and since you'll be learning the game at the same time, you may find a few friends that will still be on your friends list 4 years later.  

And the fun isn't only playing the game, it also can be found here in the forums.  Learn some stuff, and have a few laughs.  

• txzdave
    1,316 Posts
    Mon, Jun 16 2014 5:29 PM

Yup, St Andy's straight cyclone.

karedak's got the call on the giftee. And yes forums are a great place to learn to get pretty F'in good if you put the time in, karterdad.

and done, have fun cats....

~txz~

• PAGES
RSS