Forums

Help › Forums

St. Andrews Blow Up

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 15 2010 5:10 AM (9 replies)
  • charliecuzby
    149 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 8:53 PM
    I was playing what I thought was the game of my life, 4 under, several missed birdie putts (some of which I'm still questioning the lies) and a couple missed eagles. Then it all went sour. I miss read a 22 foot rise in elevation which apparently was actually a 22 inch rise and hit a wedge shot that seemed to go in super fast motion 30 yards beyond the pin. Next snafu was a chip that came down a hill and slid like a slipperly slide down the slope and rocketed across the green, down and off into the rough, 2 double bogeys in a row, complete shock and heartbreak. Besides having to check everytime I put to make sure the computer didn't hand me an auto 100 foot range putt I now have to check the tiny elevation info. to see if it's reading feet or inches. That and some of the lies seem ridiculous. Some of you may say "You've been there and done that" but this game could've been a 10 under 18 hole tournament round, by far my best and I think I've earned it. Dissapointment, hell yes, angry, damn right, venting, priceless!! Sometimes this game drives me nuts, is it worth it, I'm wondering :(
  • CMcCartney727
    1,417 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 9:39 PM

I just played a St. Andrews Ready-Go where the 25-30 mph wind was against me on EVERY hole... If that was physically possible, I'd be somewhere out in the Atlantic instead of in the clubhouse... Thanks WGT!!

• aussieguyadam
    602 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 10:49 PM

read game type before entering simple solution...

• CharlemagneRH
    1,054 Posts
    Mon, Oct 11 2010 11:19 PM

#1 Don't screw up and read 22-ft rise when it's really a 22-inch rise.  There are no greens that have a 22-ft rise, so you should've known that was wrong without even looking twice.  Everyone screws up here and there, but it is rarely the game's fault when we do.  Mistakes like that usually become less frequent as you play more.  About 2 months ago, I probably made a major screw-up once every 5 rounds, but now I only mess up once every 25 rounds.  Nonetheless, you're going to have to accept it and move on.

#2 You'd probably be able to shoot that well a lot more often if you had wedges, which are cheap yet extremely effective.  Although the wedges that I use are level 42, 60, and 64, you can get a very good set of wedges at level 39 (93/98 yard, 77 yard, and 50 -yard Z Satins, or a larger spread with 105, 86, and 50 -yard Z Satins.)  Even the wedges available at level 14 are good, but they don't offer the complete range of distances that you can get from higher-level wedges.

• GaryKoop
    149 Posts
    Tue, Oct 12 2010 1:04 AM

That's golf !!

Happens in the "real" world and it happens here.

• Deccy180
    233 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 5:07 AM

17th 22ft putt slightly off striaght with a 3 downhill hit it 1/2 of my 30ft putter bar and ended up 5ft past the hole

18th 20ft putt slightly off straight with a 3 downhill hit it 1/2 of my 30ft putter bar and ended up 4ft short of the hole

how can this be :-( this is the only instance of this happening and it happen before at Kiawah Isalnd in both the Ready Go tourament i played in the greens played inconstient espeically on the front 9 which is more annoying because your playing for credits

I did hear a theory that it only happens to most players that aren't legends but certain players that are legends it dosent happen so that WGT will get more credits out of the non legends and more money :-(

are the Legends getting bettter breaks??

• oslek
    1 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 5:54 AM

No you'd be in the north sea mate, and St Andrews is basically an out and in course so you can have 9 holes into the wind and if the tide turns then often the wind turns with it and hey ho 18 holes into the wind.

Welcome to Scottish links golf !

• jbenny11
    863 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 7:41 AM

You could be on to something here. The first "break" the Legends get is on 17 tee box TM = 193 yards, Legends = 220 yards + with bad wind 17 can play up to 240+ yards. Next "break" comes on 18 tee, dinged drive into 16+ wind leaves you with 230 yards left, you do the math. JB

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Oct 13 2010 8:31 AM

jb-You forgot the drop in the sand on 17.  :-D

• hoochlah
    81 Posts
    Fri, Oct 15 2010 5:10 AM

CMcCartney727:

I just played a St. Andrews Ready-Go where the 25-30 mph wind was against me on EVERY hole... If that was physically possible, I'd be somewhere out in the Atlantic instead of in the clubhouse... Thanks WGT!!

mate im playing a cc tourney that cost me 100 creds to enter at sta - mod winds fast greens - every hole with the exception of 2 par3s had 17-20mph winds against me, those 2 par3s had 20 mhp wind for. wtf. how is that possible? bit shat off with that since we have tough tms in our cc to beat.  no way can i match or beat a 64 with those conditions where u cant even reach the freaking greens in reg. its very strange....

RSS