Forums

Help › Forums

Lucky Find

Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:01 AM (12 replies)
  • PAGES
  • SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 7:22 PM

Since age 7, I have putted with an Acushet, Reuter jr. Bulls-Eye...never changed. My Dad has been a collector for 40+ years. I was digging around and found an old Spaulding HBA putter, liked the way it looked and felt, snagged it, loved it, and now use it...The End.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 8:38 PM

Nothing like the classics SP!  I still have my Bullseye and use the Wilson 8802.

• josephk2317
    873 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:18 PM

Love the feel of the old "Bulls-eye" putters.  Still have mine from 1983, when I first picked up golfing while working on a course. Yep, brings back fond memories of putting on the practice course in the evenings; till I could not see the ball anymore...lol

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Wed, Sep 10 2014 9:20 PM

andyson:

Nothing like the classics SP!  I still have my Bullseye and use the Wilson 8802.

8802 ! Pop claims that it is in the steel...awesome, softer, USA steel that you can't get anymore. Same with the MacGregor Tommy Armour & Bristol Wizard. Wish I could use a blade putter...I hook (pull) them..don't know why, just do. The HBA is like a semi-blade and I don't.... ;-}}

And Joe, I will never part with my Bullseye...that brass is soft too

• craigswan
    31,566 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 12:28 AM

I bought my putter called lucky from woolworths many years ago . Still waiting for it to live up to it's name .

I bought my first half set of clubs after a win on the horses . I then saved up my pocket money and every time i had enough money i went and bought one club hoping to eventually have the full set . I remember i was only an eight iron short of a full set when the shop stopped selling golf clubs . Still have the set up my attic with no eight iron .

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 5:40 AM

craigswan:

I bought my putter called lucky from woolworths many years ago . Still waiting for it to live up to it's name .

Ha ! I love to read the golf club tales from others. I like the older stuff just out of facination. My Daddy-0 has a storage unit full of gems. I like looking at his variety of George Nicoll clubs from Scotland that cover many decades. The workmanship is art. Beauty to the eye when you set them down. Inspiring. Hitting them is frowned upon...verboten, actually ;-} 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 5:48 AM

It was tough giving up the persimmons off the tee. Nothing like the thwack of wood on ball, unlike the ping you get now. Got tired of the kid mocking the old man's woods so broke down and went 21st century. 

However, I will not part with my 35 year old Slotline putter. Light as a feather, no balance, oversized grip I put on it and a head that the shaft lines up perfectly in the center of. Probably not even as good as the Starter putter but you know what?--the dang putts drop.  LOL

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 5:51 AM

craigswan:
    . I remember i was only an eight iron short of a full set

Mind if I steal that line? lmao

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:02 AM

YankeeJim:
    It was tough giving up the persimmons off the tee. Nothing like the thwack of wood on ball, unlike the ping you get now.

Amen! Nothing like that old thwack! When everything fell into place, it felt like it would fly forever.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Thu, Sep 11 2014 6:06 AM

craigswan:
    I remember i was only an eight iron short of a full set

To this day, walking and carrying my clubs around the course, I will carry only a half-set of irons - 3, 5, 7, 9 odd or 4,6,8 even. With my difficulty making solid contact, club selection is the least of my worries.

• PAGES
RSS