Help › Forums

How to hit shots with wind in the back

rated by 0 users
Wed, Jun 17 2009 9:32 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Mon, Jun 15 2009 2:52 PM

We're talkin' Bethpage Black here.  With backspin and the wind in my face it should "balloon" against the wind.  If that doesn't work i'm counting on the gallery behind the green to stop it.  Maybe even kick it back onto the green.   :)

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 6:32 AM

Specifically on #2 BB if the wind is in your face, I would usually add 12-15 yards to the club depending on distance, when the wind is at my back only 3-6 yards.  Keep in mind, I use the R9 driver so I can get it between 143 to 165 away depending on the wind.

Lee

*edit* always full back spin!

• Decarz2
    24 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:18 AM

Avatar lee, why do you always need to use full back spin?

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:27 AM

ummm okay, I'll humor you... It gives the shot more height and better stopping power.  On #2 BB you need all the stopping power you can get!  As a result 8 times out of 10 I find myself with a short 9 yard chip from the short rough behind the green, if I didn't use backspin I'd surely be well off the back of the green every time.  The other times I end up just short of the green for a long pitch or even on the green for a long putt.  I think a total of 3 times I've been under 10 feet for birdie.

• robdalky
    2 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2009 9:32 AM

IMO.. The way to hit the shot is to aim for the right edge of the green, full backspin, R9 driver, full power, and draw it all the way back in by hitting midway through the dark blue on the left side of your accuracy line. Otherwise, it's just about impossible to get the ball on the green. I've had a bit more luck drawing it in.

• PAGES
RSS