Forums

Help › Forums

US Open Closed for Us: Give Us at Least Bethpage Black!

Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:41 AM (3 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 3:11 AM

Hi, I understand that due to legal technicalities, site visitors from most countries of the world can't enroll in the Virtual US Open. (Not this year, anyway.) However, why not at least allow us to practice our shots on the entire Bethpage Black course? And to improve our average scores? Those rounds wouldn't be entered for the tournament qualification, but they would appear among our rounds played.

It's frustrating that the real US Open is coming up and you aren't allowed to get "a player's preview" of it by playing all 18 holes of it virtually here. Also, the back 9 at Bethpage Black is supposed to be more difficult than the front 9, so this drives the scores of all of us who are prohibited from playing the front 9, upwards.

Thank you!

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 3:47 PM

Hi Faterson, you will be able to play regular ranked rounds on Bethpage starting in July.

• dummyisdumb
    7 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2009 7:31 PM

I'm not sure, but can't you also play it in Multiplayer (or is that restricted too?).

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2009 2:41 AM

You can only play the back 9 in multi-player. Because it's more difficult than the front 9, it increases your average score more than if you regularly played the whole course.

Of course I'm grateful to WGT for this great game! And it's great that the whole of Bethpage Black will be released in July. The point of my original post was, though: the real US Open begins tomorrow, and it would be much more exciting to watch on TV if you, before you watch the real players struggle on the course, can also get to know the whole course as a virtual player. By now, I'm thoroughly familiar with the back 9 of Bethpage Black, so it will be a lot of fun to watch real players battling those 9 holes. ("Ah, he's just landed in the same bunker as I have many times before!") No such fun will be possible for us on the front 9.

By all means, exclude us from the tournament if international legal reasons don't permit us to participate. But it wouldn't hurt if you at least released the whole course in practice mode. We don't want to enter the tournament, we'd just love to get to know the front 9, too, before the real US Open begins. Let's hope that in years to come, WGT decides to release the whole course before the real tournament, even if not everyone is allowed to enter the virtual tournament.

RSS