Forums

Help › Forums

A really strange shot - has anybody seen this before?

Sun, Dec 14 2014 9:27 AM (24 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 6:09 AM

Mushy01:
    was a simple statement not meant to question a soul.

Simple would have  had 1 question mark. A string of them indicates otherwise. And why would this even question anything about mapping, which is what I was simply asking?

• SHutcheson
    51 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 8:32 AM

sorry, no encores - been there, done that!! can watch the reply over, though.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 10:58 AM

YankeeJim:
    Simple would have  had 1 question mark. A string of them indicates otherwise. And why would this even question anything about mapping, which is what I was simply asking?

Well if it was mapped accurately, the ball wouldn't strike the pin almost 2 ft above, therefore the ball would of travelled further forward not hitting the pin at all and landing close to the hole.

What I was implying was , if its poor mapping here and where Mags states actually the hole being an inch below ground, where else does this occur?

As in my first statement "certainly questions the accuracy in mapping ???????????"

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:02 PM

Regardless of where Mags says the hole is, that pin is a 7 foot tall physical item with a specific location. The arc of the shot also has a specific path through space. Any point in that arc has a specific location in space. Coincidentally that arc meets the space the animate object occupies and you see the result. It's no different than hitting a tree limb.

I would say that's pretty accurate mapping. The rendering is misleading but that isn't unusual. Look how many times a "phantom" branch has knocked a shot down only to be shown as accurate in different views on a replay.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:24 PM

YankeeJim:

Regardless of where Mags says the hole is, that pin is a 7 foot tall physical item with a specific location.

The ball didn't hit the pin

The arc of the shot also has a specific path through space. Any point in that arc has a specific location in space. Coincidentally that arc meets the space the animate object occupies and you see the result.

The ball doesn't strike the pin, therefore would of travelled further

It's no different than hitting a tree limb.

Fair comment if it hits the tree limb

I would say that's pretty accurate mapping. The rendering is misleading but that isn't unusual. Look how many times a "phantom" branch has knocked a shot down only to be shown as accurate in different views on a replay.

Then show this in real time, it either hits the pin/branch or it doesn't

If it shows the ball striking the pin/branch when they aren't there , its poorly mapped surely

If I refer to a map and it it doesn't take me to my destination like it shows would I not say that is poorly mapped ?

Sorry Jim , I'm not here to explain my comment, if I need pass something by your good self in future PLEASE let me know :-)

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:26 PM

Mushy01:
    Sorry Jim , I'm not here to explain my comment, if I need pass something by your good self in future PLEASE let me know :-)

Now why you gotta be a jackass about it? It's a friggin interesting discussion albeit probably over your head.  Sorry to pee on your Nikes.

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:37 PM

Not being a jackass I don't think ....

Why over my head ?

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:37 PM

If you really want to  map your irons , you will map the hit the flagstick shot too ! ! ;) 

I am on ball nr 50 with my 9 iron and  still working on it lol 

I am trying to be funny ! 

• Mushy01
    2,567 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:46 PM

lol siggi

Yes map each club and incorporate every eventuality,

hit the baskets at Merion and it shows that, but this particular hole doesn't

So, is there anymore holes we need know about ?

consistancy is the point I was trying to make.

• siggipj76
    2,989 Posts
    Sat, Dec 13 2014 5:49 PM
RSS