Forums

Help › Forums

We Was Robbed, I Tell You! Robbed!

Sun, Dec 21 2014 5:39 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 10:08 AM

With all due respect. I mean that. I have never understood the mindset of women and men reading love stories Ms Williams.

I like to read so please don't categorise me as a non reader. I just can't understand the emphasis put on love stories as they compare to reality.

If involved in a relationship with a partner why one would read about a fictitious character and more or less pine for that written relationship rather than act upon the relationship at hand towards an adventurous outcome for both parties, has eluded me.

I would think that the adventure, romanticism, and the always present lust of the written word in love stories should be sought out and  acted upon in real life. It is all well and good if you are not in a relationship I suppose, which it is non of my business whether you are or not, however if the scenario applied to me as being in a relationship and my mate was constantly reading love stories, I would and could only come to the conclusion that I will never satisfy the mate as she-he, is always dreaming of something that is out of reach while in a relationship in real life.

I mean really, how many Casanova's actually existed or exist to this day?

The perfect mate is an almost implausible fact of life as we as humans require different types of stimulation at different times and so few coincide with each other at every moment of every day.

The love stories in my mind portray that type of relationship is an achievable outcome in an ever changing world. The story line is short per say and does not transcend the lifetime of most characters in the books. There is the ever present, "they lived happily ever after", how do we know? Also, they died in each other's arms. Again a short time period.

Just my respectful opinion Ms Williams.

This opinion is coming from a man that has traveled the globe many times and witnessed life & relationships as reality not as one wants or dreams of it to be. There are truly wondrous relationships to behold don't get me wrong. Two elderly people holding hands or sitting next to each other while in a car still happens, after 40 + years of marriage, and puts a smile on my face every time I see it.

There is nothing wrong at all in dreaming and wanting though. The allure is always there.

Love is often mistaken. The way that I show my love to a partner may be totally different than the way my partner wants me to show love in her mind. In reality she excepts that my way of showing love is just that, and no matter how much she may want flowers and champange waiting for her everyday as well as being swept off to a new adventure every month, she realises that is not going to ever happen. She loves me for who I am, not not what she wants me to be. That is reality, if you can find it.

To try to simplify all this I believe I have found the secret to true love.

When you find someone who you WANT to do things for, instead of HAVE to do things for, you have found your true love.

Merry Christmas

I will use Joe,

as I know how you feel about my other moniker.

Be well

• MichaelStroke
    2,066 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 11:34 AM

patriciawilliams:

ithurtswnipee:

patriciawilliams:
    you'd be surprised of the storyline

No.

I would not.

Pee

It actually turns out to be a good 'love story', unless you read it, you have no idea.

Girl likes boy.

Boy doesn't like girl.

Girl reading flicks bean.

Fin

• patriciawilliams
    3,273 Posts
    Mon, Dec 15 2014 10:35 PM

ithurtswnipee:
    I have never understood the mindset of women

Since you enjoy reading, here is an excellent read ….it's non-fiction :)  

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus 

I think most people are realistic about ' love stories' .

Whether it's romance, adventure, true crime or whatever, it's enjoyable and a way to go into another world for a short time while you're intense in a book. ( If you can understand what i'm saying).

For me, I enjoy a variety of books, such as John Grisham, which is far from a 'love story' or Danielle Steeles and a favourite of past was Sidney Sheldon. The point being, it's enjoyable for myself but  I certainly don't base the reality of life with a book.

A book I can recommend for you or anyone is ' Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn, what an excellent book! A movie just came out of it, but it's never as good as the book.

I understand what you're saying and well written and understood….

Merry Christmas also Joe

• ithurtswnipee
    891 Posts
    Tue, Dec 16 2014 6:49 PM

I am in the middle of a short move however I did want to respond to your offer of the reading of the Mars, Venus Book. I remember this book I think from a while back, it was a bestseller for quite some time. I took a quick peek at something about it and I saw that there is a point system of some type?

For doing something in different degrees of caring, surprise and other such deeds or categories, one is rewarded points? I wonder what the points can be used for? I am sure of what every male is thinking about what the points should be use for. Which brings me to wonder why such a system would exist at all. Now it is a tit for tat system that one will always feel as though he or she has done more than the other. This is not good relationship binding material but rather the, "I have to do system" I spoke of. It was a very small excerpt I read. I am sure it is much more intuitive.  

Oh, and wait a moment please. I see you neatly cut my sentence into a quote about not understanding the female mindset, and left the male part out. I laughed about that, as it is a customary belief that men do not understand women at all.

I would like to redress that quoted sentence. I am going for big points here. ;-)). 

Please, all in humorous good taste please, as I did laugh at that quite vigorously.

For all men out there that may have an interest in this, (pleasing women), it is all to easy to go to buy a piece of jewelry or nice bobble for your girl. However if you want to score some real points with your girl, buy her a blouse, slacks, summer dress, or anything in the clothing lines.

A man that can buy clothes for his girl is going to score huge points because it shows her  a few things about you that she will adore a lot more than a ring or a bracelet or other bobble will ever show her. It will show her that 1- you know her size. How many men out there know the dress size of your girl?  2- How about the style she likes to wear? When is the season change times. Basically the golden rule of never wearing white after????????

3- Don't forget shoes. Don't ever buy her shoes for her, rather take her to the shoe store and ask what she may have an interest in say a size 4-5-6-7 those are the average woman's shoe sizes.

Pay attention to the style in each season she likes, and bring her to the style you think she likes. Now most of you guys out there, if you did this tomorrow with your girls, they would wonder what the heck happened to my man and how long can the new guy stay around?

I think that is enough of the redress of me not knowing a woman's mind set, in general of course. Would you agree Ms Williams. Do you think as a women you would rather receive gifts from your mate that you know, he knows more about you than you thought?

I know you did not cut the sentence to be insensitive, just human nature of the discussion points (topic) when entertaining the differences of the opposite sexes, That's all.

One last stab in the dark so to speak. I once witnessed a picture on your page of a woman with a suitcase or shopping basket in tow. I would take a guess, understanding that it was a very small photo that the woman in that photo is a size 5 - 6, this is from memory not being able to see it now and not having some other means of comparison to take a solid guess at the size of the woman in the picture.

If the women in the picture is taller than I remember, then I would venture a size 8 but no more. 

I hope I have redeemed myself from the quoted sentence about not understanding the mindset of women AND men under certain circumstances. 

Laughter is the best medicine. Please let me know if I am right. Just for giggles and to see if I still have the ability to size women up so to speak. It sounds awful I know. Just to see if I can still guess a woman's size. Sounds so much better.

If you have a husband or boyfriend I hope he is doing this for you, if not, reading this at least. :-)) 

Best regards to all.

Joe

• opyeuclid
    6,709 Posts
    Tue, Dec 16 2014 6:59 PM

Please try the Decaf coffee .

OPY

• tedwayne
    54 Posts
    Tue, Dec 16 2014 7:34 PM

wtf, did someone hole out?

Joe

• okwestly
    176 Posts
    Tue, Dec 16 2014 8:13 PM

wow

• SHRUDE
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 3:35 AM

A Bridge Across Forever - Richard Bach

Read that   :)

- Venus and Mars is outdated now, I read that nearly 20 years ago I think , times have changed somewhat.

• waterytart
    2 Posts
    Thu, Dec 18 2014 8:12 PM

Still life With Woodpecker and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues by Tom Robbins.

• Dougie4042
    4,410 Posts
    Sun, Dec 21 2014 5:39 PM

Wowser, this thread got derailed big time!  o.O

waterytart:
    Still life With Woodpecker and Even Cowgirls Get The Blues by Tom Robbins

Strange sounding novel!  o.O

• PAGES
RSS