Forums

Help › Forums

Tough-It-Out VT Feb event: Royal St. George's

rated by 0 users
Fri, Mar 6 2015 9:39 AM (121 replies)
  • AdamK70
    433 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 3:55 AM

I was going great until the 17th, when it fell apart a little, but still delighted with my score.  Highlight for me was a chip in for par on the 3rd & then a 35 foot putt for birdie at the 16th.

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:38 AM

Phew. The wind hates me and the fairway and the greens and well guess i hate myself too!

Always fun to play some starter and uneven tourneys and this time i actually took some screens :)

Oh btw, the bunkers hate me too!

• wrinkles
    561 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 10:38 AM

Awesome tourny Corwyn, thank you sir!  

Lots of fun even though I couldn't score.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:06 PM

Is there a doctor in the house?

Painful to say the least; Not the conditions as such - more chip/pitch shots from around green going all over the place.

Last hole was 'perfect' example when a 14 yard pitch went 36 yards and the return of 12/14 yards from the far side of green then travels only 6 yards and rolls down the slope to the right of the pin.

Wind was pretty awful on most holes and I was happy enough to have 100% f/ws hit stats from the tees.... till the wedges came out.

The few *highlights* were as follows;

71 ft uphill putt effort had me jumping out my chair

3wd (205 yards) approach shot that went.... 271 yards was hysterical

27 ft downhill putt @ #15 for PAR was pleasing

Here's the medical report;

Cheers for hosting Corwyn & Co. ...... I think. LOL

NURSE!!!

:)

• HeavyG517
    113 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:18 PM

Never done or tried this before. Never one for "embellishing" my average by quitting.... so jumped in both barrels blazing !!    Was great fun !!!!

• CerinoDevoti
    3,232 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 4:36 PM

I'm really happy to see some of the new names to playing this kind of Tourney in the thread. Want to thank all of you for venturing to try something different. Corwyn and I go back a ways playing with Starter Gear and playing the courses with pars as good scores. We all get used to our normal play and scores  so these TIO Tourneys can bruise the ego a little bit.  We created these with the idea that the courses and the course designers need to be respected. Finding the natural defences on each hole then learning how to either side step them or actually use them to our advantage is the goal here. One thing that I've learned is knowing the grounds through Starter Club and UEL play will help when playing with our fancy clubs a heck of a lot. Every so often I get myself out of trouble using what I've learned in these tourneys.

Good Luck to all and Thank You All again for the support. :)

~CD~

• mmyers0
    478 Posts
    Thu, Feb 12 2015 7:29 PM

I had a fairly boring round of 71. I didn't make any long putts (longest was just inside 19 feet on #10), didn't hit a ton of greens, got up and down only 3 of 8 tries. But I had no double bogeys and made a few mid-length putts to steal birdies.

Mostly disappointed about #14, which was playing straight downwind and was reachable. My 3w approach jumped left off the clubface and found the bunker, from which I couldn't hope to hit it near the flag. I had to hole a 7-footer just to save par.

My best shot was probably this flop on #2 to save par from left of the green; I wasn't yet in the mindset of hitting the center of the green.

On #6 and again on #12 I did not intend to go at the flag, but sort of accidentally did anyway and birdied both holes. On 18 I hit a nifty 3 wood from a sidehill lie with side wind that crept onto the front of the green and settled 15 feet from the hole in a nearly flat area. Knowing that I needed a birdie to top fmagnets, I promptly missed the ding by a wide margin and missed the hole by a foot.

Worst shot of the round was a downhill lie on 13 just after I'd gotten under par for the first time. It caught a downslope I didn't know existed; my 160 yard 5 iron ran 204 yards and would have kept going if not for the rough. I hit a good wedge from behind the green to a flat spot 10 feet from the hole, but pushed the putt nearly as badly as the one on 18.

• SteveW65
    4,540 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 12:38 AM

CerinoDevoti:
    Might be a good idea to do a little advertising in the top thread.

CD/Corwyn - wasn't someone pulling a list together of all the CC owners for inter CC matches? Maybe worth getting their contact details so every time you set one of these up (and the UEL tourny's etc) you can drop them a mass email and they can advertise it in the CC Forum.

• MatildaIgaly
    1,822 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 1:26 AM

SteveW65:

CerinoDevoti:
    Might be a good idea to do a little advertising in the top thread.

CD/Corwyn - wasn't someone pulling a list together of all the CC owners for inter CC matches? Maybe worth getting their contact details so every time you set one of these up (and the UEL tourny's etc) you can drop them a mass email and they can advertise it in the CC Forum.

Good idea!

• DJW2307
    13,409 Posts
    Fri, Feb 13 2015 2:37 AM

That was a real blast even if the score doesn't suggest it lol...Says it all that I was disappointed with a 78 and bogey, d-bogey finish...But great event guys and have definitely got our guys at UKGE into it judging by the number of our guys giving it a go..

Got into UEL last year and got a load of our CC having a go on the slope after seeing all the fantastic work done by Corwyn and the guys with the UEL Tour events last year...Thanks for putting this on and a whole new challenge for sure..

Good luck to everyone in Round 2 and will be off getting some more practice in methinks.

Cheers

David

RSS