Forums

Help › Forums

New Averages

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:29 AM (9 replies)
  • bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 7:54 AM
    Can someone explain how this system works? I logged on today with a 67.78 average, thanks to a few good rounds last week (started at 72.3) . I played a CC round on KIA front 99 at -3, and my average dropped to 67.68. O.K. I played a second 9 holes on STA weekly at =1, and my average dropped to 67.58. What's up with that? I played a third round at BPB full 18, and thanks to the ever loving VEM, managed a +9, but my average still dropped to a 67.48. How is this possible? It would imply that you only have sub par rounds in your file, and will never raise your average from it's current level, but continue to lower it. That being the case, with the exception of Ledgends, we will all be pushed into the next tier well before we are ready. Another great move by WGT to make more money on equipment upgrades to meet new tiers.
  • tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:13 AM

The new averages as far as I am aware only take into account scores that are below your existing average. So presumably everyones average will go down gradually until they reach a point where they rarely score lower than that figure and the average will stagnate.

I actually think it's a very good method and will in time be a far better reflection of a players capabilities than the ridiculous system that was in place.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:36 AM

Good only if it takes into account scores lower that your existing average. Two rounds were over par, and the third was above existing average, but the average still went down for all three rounds.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 8:45 AM

bigdaddie1:

Good only if it takes into account scores lower that your existing average. Two rounds were over par, and the third was above existing average, but the average still went down for all three rounds.

The new average system takes into account your all time best rounds scored in your current tier. WGT refuses to disclose the actual number of rounds used. If your average drops all it means is that the round you just shot is better than one of the rounds used to calculate your previous average. You do not actually need to shoot below your average for it to drop/

• BriRock
    148 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 9:17 AM

mohuyu:
    You do not actually need to shoot below your average for it to drop/

This is Correct...If you have 15 scores (and i'm not saying this is how the system works...but just as an example)....68,69,68,70,71,73,78,79,78,72,73,71,68,68,69...the average of these scores is (1075 / 15) 71.67...lets say you shoot a 75, which is above your average, but because the average is calculated from your 15 best scores...the new 75 (score # 16) kicks out and old 79 (Score # 8)...and your new average is (1071 / 15) 71.40...so even though you shot higher than your currant average...its still one of your best scores and is calculated into your new average...this is how a true golf handicap system works...with far more figures and calculations.

• bigdaddie1
    2,694 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 9:36 AM

Good explaination. I just played another round over par and lowered my average. Thanks to all for your input.

• tiffer67
    1,764 Posts
    Wed, Nov 24 2010 9:43 AM

Thanks for that BriRock, an excellent explanation.....

• Zebouq
    10 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 3:32 AM

Thanks BriRock ..

Very well explained..

I play golf daily and i am doing best to get my average score down, some times it goes UP that i hate most...

I played 2 rounds of 9 Holes at Kiawah, observed a stupid change on hitting 1 Bogey of 9 holes still my total score was -2 on each... Dang My score got added 0.10 on total average score, both time i have observed same.

Your post gave me idea how score system works, now i know how to calculate and play much better...

It would be more helpful if you could explain on my following question :

Q.  When i was at Tour Pro Tire, On each Birdie -1 score my  average score use to drop       0.08 minus on total average score. After i reached Master it is now counting 0.03             minus on each Birdie -1, is there anything to do with Tire and is there any rule that           changes the criteria of score counting for  above Tire as compare to low Tire's

Regards/ Zebouq

• alosso
    21,060 Posts
    Mon, Jul 16 2012 11:18 AM

@Bigdaddie:

The number of scores in the average calc of your (Legend) tier is 400. That said, you will have experienced a floating average for quite a while. The fact that scores higher than your average result in ave. drops show that you have just passed that number. Any infamously high result from early times in the tier is now being kicked out and the average is stripped considerably.

@Zebouq:

First of all, don't think in +/- Par but absolute scores. They go into the calculation (9 hole scores doubled).

Second, if your average goes up you haven't yet played the neccessary no. of rounds in your tier. Don't worry about bad scores now - they will be pushed out in time, as BriRock described. When it comes close to tiering up, they will be long forgotten.

Concerning the lil ave. drops the explanation is not that easy. The amount of each change results from the difference between the new score and the one it kicked out - you have to know this one, too, if you wanna follow suit.

In the example above, 75 - 79 = -4 modify the calculation. Plus, as a Master the number of scores in the average is higher than as a TP. If one stroke difference counted 1/25 = 0.04 then, it's 1/40 = 0.025 now.

• Zebouq
    10 Posts
    Tue, Jul 17 2012 5:29 AM

Thanks alosso  :) Now i know more about Golf 

regards/Zeb

RSS