Forums

Help › Forums

balls in your bag

Mon, May 11 2015 4:37 PM (19 replies)
  • PAGES
  • ThomasBright
    6 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 1:28 AM

I do not understand why the default is to grab the worst possible ball in your bag after you have used up the ball chosen at tee time.

This game prides itself on the realistic simulation to the sport, it would seem logical that the nearest comparable ball to the user's choose at the start of the game would also be closer to reality.

or even better, allow the user to choose again in that situation, that's reality baby.

especially since the user is charged such a high premium for the ability not to use the defaul range ball.

thank you,

Thomas

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 12:15 PM

The thing is, those other balls aren't in your bag, they're at home.  When you equip your bag you only get to put one type of ball in there.  WGT is giving us a break by allowing us to carry on with rocks.

It's also very unrealistic that you can go buy new balls, instantly, when you get down to your last one, regardless of where you are on the course.  Nobody ever beetches about that bit of unreality though.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 12:20 PM

ThomasBright:
    or even better, allow the user to choose again in that situation, that's reality baby.

No, it isn't. That YOU on the weekends playing golf. The reality is the rules of golf say finish what you started with or you're out. Ever see Tin Cup? That's what made the 3W over the water scene as dramatic as it was.

MM was right-be happy you get the free rock instead of DQ'd. Better yet, don't run out.  ;-)

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 12:46 PM

YankeeJim:
    The reality is the rules of golf say finish what you started with or you're out.

I'm afraid they don't, but the rules set by our hosts do:

Buy replacement in time or be stuck with Starters.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 2:24 PM

alosso:
    I'm afraid they don't

How so?

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 3:00 PM

Looks a little of only translation there I think.

The rules are clear that the exact same type as started with must finished with.  If undue delay did not occur you could send for replacement balls IRL (self same exact type),  but here that latter bit can't happen.

These are the rules adopted for the big games.

Where WGT stuffed up recently was confusing everyone with what warnings you get when.  Simple old chestnut called communication would have gone a long wat, but something they are so poor at.  That's away from this point though which has been done to death, and is v clear.  

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 3:36 PM

Please don't belittle me with "translation issues".

Rule 15, cited above, only applies for the play of ONE HOLE and the quote also shows the possible exempts from this - not applicable for our problem.

In general, a player is not limited to one type of ball, e.g. between holes or when he waters one, like in Tin Cup.

It (the one ball "rule") is not in the general rules of golf but is given in amendment A, Part C, No.1 C) as a proposal for a "local condition" to be added at the will of the organisators.

IT'S NOT A GOLF RULE!

• Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 3:47 PM

OK sorry on the translation, not trying to belittle you.

However, the one ball rule is a rule adopted for elite play, and universally so in teh golfing world.

WGT follows that rule, and for anything other than practice rounds here I think that is fine.  Arguably an ordinary RR here players could elect to not adopt the one ball rule even when playing together, but that would be a lot of fuss (potential glitches) for little gain.  They would need to be able to go to there inventory and choose or the forums would be ablaze with how could the system pick this type complaints.  

What WGT could do for the elite play we follow here (and so must be enforced for any competition) is allow a player to buy balls after they run out (same ball).  Mostly though what WGT need to do is communicate what they intend, and people know where they are before WGT change things.

alosso:
    IT'S NOT A GOLF RULE!

It is very much a golf rule when it is imposed for elite play.  It is not a rule usually imposed outside of elite play. Technically it is a condition, but we are off point as WGT follow the one condition /  ball rule, and you would be hard pushed to find anyone saying elite comp rules should not be followed here I think.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 10:17 PM

See what YJ wrote and what I answered. That was not about the one ball condition (which is but a local addition to the rules of golf, like a dropping area).

Furthermore, I'm still convinced that the company had not this condition in mind when they set up the program. To me, it rather follows a general "No Options" rule which has been in place 100% in the first years of the game. It hasn't been named "one ball rule" by the company until Pizza did so, late in his stay.

Nevertheless, it's here as a rule of the game and won't change soon. Only the tags change, displaying more greed or the absence of any QA - neither Assurance nor Quality are in sight (cf. tournament naming faults, repeating clash faults etc.).

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Sun, May 10 2015 11:46 PM

alosso:
    It hasn't been named "one ball rule" by the company until Pizza did so, late in his stay.

No...We players have known and cited the "one ball rule", long before Pizza was moderating the forums.

In the rules of Golf book, it is called the one ball rule, that can be adopted buy whom see fits.

I think most PGA Tourneys use this rule...I/e I recall some golfer before the start of a Major many years ago, complaining that not all his playing balls had arrived, and he was one short-had something to do with the number on the ball.

Point is, the one ball rule, is a rule...when adopted for play.

Edit:

Just to add from the USGA site:

Rule Misc.

One Ball Condition

Q.What does the "One Ball Condition" mean?

A.The Rules of Golf do not require a player to use the same brand and type of golf ball throughout the stipulated round. A player may use a different ball to start each hole. However, the Committee may adopt as a Condition of a Competition, the "One Ball Condition." When this condition is adopted, players are required to use the same brand and type of golf ball throughout the stipulated round. Please refer to Appendix 1; Part C; 1 (Specification of the Ball).

Seems it's called "condition", not "rule"...semantics, especially since it under 'Rules Misc"...lol

• PAGES
RSS