Forums

Help › Forums

8 years and counting...

Wed, Jun 17 2015 11:08 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 1:02 PM

Hard to believe that another year has gone by. Signed up as a WGT member June 09, 2007, before the game was officially released in beta form.

Alas, not too many of the originals are still around, at least not with their original accounts.

• drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 1:39 PM

Dang ! You is "old school" ! Think I saw your Avatar in some of them cave drawin's or mebbe Mesopotamian hieroglyphics! Can't remember which, been here only 4 years myself, near as I can tell,( place does cause a certain amount of brain damage yanno), an' some of us weren't startin' out with an overabundance of gray matter to begin with. Hell, if that was the case, WGT woulda never made it ! Hope ta catch ya green sometime.

Doc :)

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 1:48 PM

srellim234:

Hard to believe that another year has gone by. Signed up as a WGT member June 09, 2007, before the game was officially released in beta form.

Alas, not too many of the originals are still around, at least not with their original accounts.

BRAVO !!  You have seen it & them all. You should pen a weekly/monthly thread of things you remember. Way to hang srellim   ;-}}

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 5:50 PM

Thanks for the sentiments.

Actually, YankeeJim probably remembers a lot more of those early days. He was here around then with a different user name. He left and created the new ID when he came back because he couldn't remember his old one. I actually spent more time at ShotOnline and playing TW offline back then because there was very little here.

• donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 6:22 PM

What was here in the beginning and what was it like? Was the user interface different? Describe it for us please ...

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 7:21 PM

donsprintr:

What was here in the beginning and what was it like? Was the user interface different? Describe it for us please ...

This should help jog a few memory cells for srellim234.  I saved this image from a post to my HD several years ago.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 7:40 PM

srellim234:
    Hard to believe that another year has gone by.

Hey srellim234-

Great to see you again. You may not remember me, but a few years back we got together and helped out some new players get some new swag. Sorry about blowing your cover but I can't forget about how instrumental you were in inspiring me to start the "12 Days of Christmas".

I don't play at all anymore but I jump on every now and again and it's great to see you still around.

Cheers

MC

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 8:49 PM

I remember you well. One of the most generous people I've come across. Good to see you again.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Tue, Jun 16 2015 10:20 PM

Props to you Srellim....gotta still be having fun, and pushing forward!

• srellim234
    2,077 Posts
    Wed, Jun 17 2015 7:09 AM

As my weak mind recalls my first game here was starter clubs and balls only on a few holes of CTTH. Only one course. More courses, stroke play and equipment were in the works but not available yet. 

Tiers existed but levels did not. Sales were finally instituted but were based on tiers, a mistake that was rectified when they changed to the level system years later. After all, you don't make much money telling the vast majority of your customers they will not ever be allowed to buy what you have for sale.

I would definitely like to see more real-life stroke play courses and less of these gimmicky compilations but the game still has come a long way from where it was back then. 

As you can see from the above screenshot, moving the ball in the stance to create fade and draw was an admirable goal but never panned out. Other games have offered that ability but they also require downloads to your computer. Keeping a complicated game playable without downloads is a remarkable achievement for WGT.

Big difference in the company is the relationship with customers. I think the customer base grew so quickly they didn't know how to handle it so they simply gave up on it. They now seem to operate from the assumption that every customer they drive away will be replaced by someone else so customer retention doesn't matter. Individual employees attempt customer relations from time to time but as a company they've never made any commitment to it. That is probably their weakest link. 

I think a big reason I'm still around (WGT probably wishes I wasn't, lol) is because I never put myself in a position to suffer "burn out" from the game play. I don't play a lot, Never buried myself in things like charts, graphs, mapping clubs and greens, etc. I play mostly by feel so each game is new and not boring. When I do play it's a max of one or two rounds and not every day. The downside, which I really don't see as a downside, is that I will probably be a Master forever. Legend/TL status has never been a goal; just playing entertaining games with friends is. 

• PAGES
RSS