Help › Forums

Avatar Help Please !! and More European Courses

rated by 0 users
Mon, Mar 14 2011 3:39 PM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • stephencrs
    6 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 5:29 AM

Hey Guys, i'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the Avatar, especially when putting. As its the most difficult and frustrating part of this game i find it even more difficult when the avatar isn't standing square to the ball in relation to the line. Anyone with some help please..... and we need more european courses and hopefully an Irish one.. Cheers all...

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 7:35 AM

Always putt using the reverse view, not only does it line up straighter but it makes the hole look bigger.

• Akenna
    11 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:01 AM

My friend putts using reverse angle and we disagree about it,  I think lining up your shot using rev works, but putting from standard angle allows one to use the meter to help adjust for the break, the same way you can use the meter to compensate against the wind.  Putting reversed might work for some, just get used to it, like anything else.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 8:55 AM

stephencrs:

Hey Guys, i'm wondering if anyone else has a problem with the Avatar, especially when putting. As its the most difficult and frustrating part of this game i find it even more difficult when the avatar isn't standing square to the ball in relation to the line. Anyone with some help please.....

Yes, it is something we've all learned to deal with. The view from behind the ball to the pin is seldom dead on line.  However, while putting, the reverse view from the pin to the ball is always closer to the line from ball to the cup.

At the risk of making Lizzie's head hurt again, here's how I think they took the photos of each pin location.  See the picture below.

Create a spider web-like circular grid with the cup in the center.  Each radii are 15 degrees apart.  Each circle is 5 feet apart. (I'm estimating 5', probably different). 

WGT has a photo looking towards the cup location from every spot where the radii intersects the circles. 

In this example, only going out 15 ft from the cup, there would be 72 photos!

The blue dot on the photo above represents our ball, 11 feet from the cup.  Somehow the game knows the best two photo choices for the view behind the ball are Camera Position 1 (CP1) and CP2.    It somehow chooses CP2 because its Point Of View is closest to the blue line shown from our ball to the pin. It is not perfect as it is slightly left of the ideal line.  The view would look something like this.

When we click on or hit the space bar to get a Reverse View (Zoom) the game has selected a photo from position RV, only 5 feet from the pin, where the offset to the ideal view line in blue will be less. (since the radii are closer together)  In the Reverse View picture below, the view is nearly dead on the ideal line.

The further from the cup, the more offset we see since the radii (and photos at that distance) are further apart at a greater distance.  See below for two examples of 30 foot putts.

These examples were shot on Kiawah #1 and Kiawah was the first full course that WGT photographed.  The offsets are more pronounced IMO opinion on Kiawah.  Could be the photos were taken at 30 degree intervals on Kiawah and they changed to 15 degree intervals on BPB, the second full course.

I hoped this helped at least understand why there is an offset on the camera views.  Think of the amount of photos taken for 3 or 4 pin locations!

(Perhaps my assumption on photos every 5 feet is too much work.  Its possible photos are taken at a greater interval, say 10 or 20 feet, and then each photo is zoomed-in on for closer distances)

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:22 AM

I SO DO get that.

And now I am going to chew off my left arm.

Lizzie xx

Actually,its brilliant

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:39 AM

Andyson... that could double as your Doctoral Thesis!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 9:49 AM

LizzieRossetti:

I SO DO get that.

And now I am going to chew off my left arm.

LMAO!!

Doublemochaman:
    Andyson... that could double as your Doctoral Thesis!

Yes! a PhD in Toomuchtimeonmyhandsology!

• MioKontic
    4,643 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 11:41 AM

andyson:
    Yes! a PhD in Toomuchtimeonmyhandsology!

Well, at least it's an ology.  And according to Maureen Lipman that's a success.

Note:  For non-UK readers (and even to the young generation of UK readers), google "maureen lipman ology" and watch the Youtube video.

• Boomerboy44
    1,514 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 12:35 PM

Dr. Andyson PH.D  T.M.TO.M.H.  of theoretical green mapping and whatnots.  LOL!!

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Thu, Mar 10 2011 1:06 PM

stephencrs:
    and we need more european courses and hopefully an Irish one.

I expect to see Royal St. Georges, site of this year's Open Championship, on WGT in the next couple of months.  I hope I'm right. 

Boomerboy44:
    Dr. Andyson PH.D  T.M.TO.M.H.  of theoretical green mapping and whatnots.

Thanks Bb44, forgot the whatnots!

Andyson PhD T.M.T.O.M.H.T.G.M.&W.

• PAGES
RSS