Help › Forums

avg

rated by 0 users
Sat, Mar 11 2017 12:35 PM (21 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 1:51 PM

alosso:
    Any high score has the same effect whether achieved before or after saturation: None!

Not so. Before saturation it changes your average up if it's big enough. After saturation it never goes up, regardless of what you shoot. You know that.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 1:57 PM

I agree to this cut-off form, but you have to agree to me when it comes to

alosso:
    when it matters

Eventually, every high score will share the same fate: Pushed out of the calculation and irrelevant to tier promotion!

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 2:02 PM

lonniescott711:
    shot -5 under average went from 61.01 down to 60.83

lonniescott711:
    played a second round same 9 shot a -6 uhder and dropped again to 60.64 so that may be it .

That's it - saturation, fresh and crisp!

It may continue for a while, and it will diminuish soon, when all those (take care, YJ!) irrelevant high scores have been pushed out from your average calculation. At last, you may think that nothing happens - but it does nevertheless!

And, please, refer to full score numbers instead of these irrelevant +-Par crap!

• aichapman
    1,399 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 3:03 PM

Personally when it comes to averages etc for myself, I know at the end of the day my average is basically flawed even though I rarely play from easy tees or easy conditions.

In reality ( having played for a few years ) I know that at Merion or Olympic my average of 56.18 is not even close to what I would generally shoot, more likely 60.00 or higher, same goes for Oakmont. ( Too many mistakes on my part )

The only course that I may shoot close to 56.00 would be Bethpage and that is due to approach shot placement and putting, I even struggle to get close to 58.00 at St Andrews. ( Forgetting the rare awesome rounds that we all can shoot occasionally )

Because I have well and truly reached saturation my average continues to drop by .01 when I shoot low scores in 9 hole events, so slowly but surely my average will go down and I will be further away from what I am capable of shooting on certain courses.

My point is this. As a player I know what I am capable of depending on course and conditions and as my game is probably the best it's ever going to be then "math" isn't going to make me or my playing ability any rosier.

The game is fun and I hope it continues to be for myself and all the others having a bash.

Cheers and regards from Alan

• DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 4:01 PM

lonniescott711:

ZioMio:

lonniescott711:
    shot -5 under average went from 61.01 down to 60.83 and was a total shock . I had never seen my average drop that much after 1 round

Do you know if you just reached saturation for the Champ level (200 RR's)?

i dont know Z but played a second round same 9 shot a -6 uhder and dropped again to 60.64 so that may be it .

Even for the start of saturation these seem big drops, there must be a bunch of very high and very low scores included in your 200. 

61.01 x 200 = 12,202 strokes

60.83 x 200 = 12,166 strokes (31/62 replaces 49/98)

60.64 x 200 = 12,128 strokes (30/60 replaces 49/98)

From current average:

60.47 x 200 = 12,094 strokes (30/60 replaces 46/92)

This all surprises me from a quick look at your score history, maybe I'm doing something wrong in these calculations. 

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 4:29 PM

alosso:
    Eventually, every high score will share the same fate: Pushed out of the calculation and irrelevant to tier promotion!

You're over the OP's head with that, especially the way you word it. You and I know it from previous interactions but anybody asking that question is going to be confused by your deep answer. They obviously don't know how it works or they wouldn't be asking.

Keep it simple. Your average goes up until you saturate. After you saturate the average only goes down as the high scores are replaced by current lower scores. Then the goal is the necessary average to jump tiers and it starts all over again.

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 5:35 PM

YankeeJim:

alosso:

You're over the OP's head with that, especially the way you word it. You and I know it from previous interactions but anybody asking that question is going to be confused by your deep answer. They obviously don't know how it works or they wouldn't be asking.

Keep it simple. Your average goes up until you saturate. After you saturate the average only goes down as the high scores are replaced by current lower scores. Then the goal is the necessary average to jump tiers and it starts all over again.

You would think the OP should know this since they are L92 Legend . But you both are on point about the saturation and how it works . Low scores replace high scores and it moves the average down . Since I dont worry about either average or saturation these last few drops were just in larger amounts than usual and thats what threw me off .

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 5:52 PM

YankeeJim:
    Keep it simple. Your average fluctuates until you saturate. After you saturate the average only goes down as the high scores are replaced by current lower scores. Then the goal is the necessary average to jump tiers and it starts all over again.

I changed it slightly.....as before your reach the required number of rounds (called saturation) your "average score" will either go up or down depending on the score you card. Do not think in term of shots under par, but the raw score (e.g. a 32/9 holes = 64.)

If that 64 for example is under your current "average" the average will drop and vice versa.

When you hit that saturation point....it is only going to go down (or will stay the same), and those higher numbers you have carded are replaced by the better scores.

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Wed, Feb 15 2017 8:58 PM

YankeeJim:
    alosso:

You're over the OP's head with that, [...]

Maybe, maybe not. Alas, I was replying to your answer which would cut off an important part of my argument.

Good to see that you understand me better than you stated at first, and thanks for explaining that to the public.

Hit it straight!

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Thu, Feb 16 2017 1:10 AM

aichapman:
    The only course that I may shoot close to 56.00 would be Bethpage and that is due to approach shot placement and putting, I even struggle to get close to 58.00 at St Andrews. ( Forgetting the rare awesome rounds that we all can shoot occasionally )

Don't be so shy - Champion tier and a 56.18 average don't fall from the sky!

In your scores, I see 28s = 56s on OLY, STA, PIN, even 27s on PIN and BPB!

And, the average, like any handicap, is not "the linear average". I see that Australian handicap by GA counts 8 out of 20 scores and uses a factor of .93 at the end. This leads to "the best you can shoot".

Here, the interests of our hosts are weighed in, leading to "the best you ever shot" and, eventually, to tier promotion.

Congrats!

RSS