Help › Forums

Flags (pins)

rated by 0 users
Sun, Feb 12 2017 10:16 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Znebh1
    922 Posts
    Fri, Feb 10 2017 5:17 PM

Do the flags ever get changed? There are holes I have played a minimum of 50 times and the flags have never been different. In many cases it becomes a no brainer how to play the hole and in other cases it is only through the most fortunate circumstances that a good score is possible. 

It would be interesting to know the rational of pin placements.

Thanks  

Znebh1

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 1:22 PM

What did you smoke Paul? Anything left over???

Znebh1:
    It would be interesting to know the rational of pin placements.

Courses are presented in HD photography. Thus, all pin positions must be archived in HD photography as well, from all sides, in all their glory.

WGT has announced that they have at least two (2) pin positions per hole. Don't expect any more, and don't hope for those second pins missing on some courses:

They are WGT, hope is futile!

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 1:29 PM

@ alosso

I have a question regarding pin placement that I've never understood. There's at least one pin placement that I always get when I play the hole. That's the 11th hole of St. Andrews. Every time I play that hole as a ranked round, I get the back pin placement.

But sometimes when I play the hole as a practice round, I'll get the front pin placement. But in almost a year and a half playing the game, I've never got the front placement in a ranked round.

Do you have any insights?  

• alosso
    21,059 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 6:41 PM

Robert1893:
    @ alosso

The doctor would like one L33 Cally ball please.

Robert1893:
    11th hole of St. Andrews. Every time I play that hole as a ranked round, I get the back pin placement.

But sometimes when I play the hole as a practice round, I'll get the front pin placement. But in almost a year and a half playing the game, I've never got the front placement in a ranked round.

There may be a strong preference for certain pins in certain tiers.

Plus, no second pins in CTTH/Blitz, on "Best of" courses and on STA#18.

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 7:34 PM

alosso:
    There may be a strong preference for certain pins in certain tiers.

That's probably what's going on here. I have a similar experience on Bethpage, 8th hole. I rarely get the back pin position. In all the times I've played it, I think I've gotten that pin position maybe 3 or 4 times.

Each time, it kinda throws me off because I really don't know how to play the hole for the back pin position. Even so, I think I have a couple of birdies and a couple of pars out of it. Pure luck, I'm afraid.

• garyk49
    2,329 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 8:03 PM

Robert1893:

I have a similar experience on Bethpage, 8th hole. I rarely get the back pin position. In all the times I've played it, I think I've gotten that pin position maybe 3 or 4 times.

Each time, it kinda throws me off because I really don't know how to play the hole for the back pin position. Even so, I think I have a couple of birdies and a couple of pars out of it. Pure luck, I'm afraid.

Actually the back pin is easier to play.  It plays truer to distance, elevation, and wind. One of the few places it seems a right to left wind will not effect the shot as much tho, as it is very easy to land into the hill on the right.  The front location, not so much, for me seems to be a crap shoot on distance

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Sat, Feb 11 2017 8:18 PM

garyk49:
    Actually the back pin is easier to play.  It plays truer to distance, elevation, and wind. One of the few places it seems a right to left wind will not effect the shot as much tho, as it is very easy to land into the hill on the right.  The front location, not so much, for me seems to be a crap shoot on distance

Well, to be honest, I don't do all that well with the front location either! :-)

I have very few problems getting a par, but birdies are hard to come by for me. My distance control actually isn't too bad. For me, if there's a slight wind in my face, I put topspin on my 6-iron; if the wind is behind, I use some backspin. That seems to work pretty well in controlling distance. 

But For whatever reason, on that hole, I have a real tendency to push my shot.  So, a lot of times, it's way to the right, but hole high. The only time I have any consistent success is if I have the shot online but leave it below the hole. 

• PAGES
RSS