Forums

Help › Forums

WGT taking the balls I paid for...revisited.

rated by 0 users
Tue, May 9 2017 10:31 AM (21 replies)
  • Hackaroon
    31 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 8:53 AM

Okay, I've written about this before. Buying golf balls from the WGT pro shop and having them being taken out of play by WGT when they decide they're worn out. And fellow computer golfers have answered with reasons the WGT does it. The truth of the matter is 'there is no good reason' other than forcing one to buy more balls when they shouldn't have to unless of course, they lose them out of bounds or in hazards, which I myself am very good at doing on a regular basis with no help from anyone else. The point is, that yes, I dig this computer game and yes, I've bought drivers, irons, and a putter. I've also bought many sleeves of golf balls and will continue to buy them. Hey, I'm a good sport but do you have to gouge me by taking away the purchases I've made to get that last dollar? It irks me to no end when the window pops up saying WGT has taken my golf ball out of play. When I purchase equipment it becomes my property and if it isn't this game ain't free..far from it. I get enough of this crap in day to day life and now I have to put up with a cheap hit from the makers of a video game. For shame....

• SidersBest
    873 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 7:53 PM

You are correct, WGT is offering you a limited ball use experience, for what ever price you are prepared to pay.Think about it this way. For starter clubs and starter ball you pay nothing. Correct? But if you want to have a better experience of the free game, you can pay for the experience. This means that upgrades cost, and some of the upgrades have a limited strole life (balls) and some have an unlimited stroke life (clubs) However if you want to have an enjoyable game which includes Teiring up. You will need to invest in better clubs and better balls. Learn how to hit the Rock effectively  and you'll never have to buy another ball. And yes I've bought some of those high priced balls, and I was just as effective at putting them in the water and OOB. They just cost me more to loose.

Siders Best

• alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Sun, Apr 30 2017 11:35 PM

Hackaroon:
    When I purchase equipment it becomes my property and if it isn't this game ain't free..

I'm afraid that this thinking is flawed, to say the least.

1) The game is free until you buy or earn the first credits. "FTP - PTW" is a well-known business concept - you and me both are in the latter section.

2) Furthermore, you should read the T&Cs below. We don't purchase equipment but software licences. Among others, there are credit licences, equipment licenses and ball licences. They all are temporary, can be taken away by the company at any time (which they usually don't).

3) Ball licenses are of limited validity - limited to a certain number of strokes. After that, they are terminated by the "ball out of play" sign. The license has expired.

IMHO, this continuous flow of credits (or money) are the bread&butter of the company (they wouldn't survive by FTP only). They go a long way to motivate us to some proper grinding, just to keep up the flow by individual and CC levels, unlimited tournaments, VT, VUSO, CC events etc.!

I'm not looking at the individual balls any more. To me, they are but an entry fee to the game which I have to pay for every now and then. The best part of it is that each of us has the opportunity to decide how much it will be, from Zero for Starters to the top balls available.

Remember: It's our choice how much to spend for our recreation and fun!!

• fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 12:06 AM

Hackaroon:

Okay, I've written about this before.

Just curious, what exactly do you expect to happen this time around, that didn't the 1st and 2nd time?

• alpenpirat
    1,153 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 1:08 AM

WGT is every more a "ball rollercoaster bounce" game. 

Glitches over gliches. Not any more. 

• Stobsbee
    4,784 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 1:23 AM

Hackaroon:
    other than forcing one to buy more balls when they shouldn't have to unless of course, they lose them out of bounds or in hazards, which I myself am very good at doing on a regular basis with no help from anyone else.
    No one is forcing you to buy balls. WGT supplies you with a ball with unlimited use and even when you hit it out of bounds, they give it back to you.

• alpenpirat
    1,153 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 2:20 AM

How the game is running today is more for masochists. This looked better years ago.

• nanstar
    4,914 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 2:51 AM

Hackaroon:

It irks me to no end when the window pops up saying WGT has taken my golf ball out of play.

You knew there was a finite number of hits on it when you bought the ball.. right?

So it performed its designated / purchased function.

And look on the bright side, at least it didn't end up OB or in hazards :)

• Hackaroon
    31 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 4:50 AM

lol

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Mon, May 1 2017 7:51 AM

alpenpirat:

How the game is running today is more for masochists. This looked better years ago.

This year has been the most stable and glitch free I have seen the game in the 61/2 years I have been playing.

RSS