Forums

Help › Forums

Scary Stuff

Wed, Oct 11 2017 12:46 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 4:48 PM

Okay. So my wife and I happen to own stock in a particular company. This company is going through some internal battles that will be settled by a shareholder vote. Lo and behold in both WGT and another app that gives stuff away for viewing videos, I've been targeted for ads by one of the factions. 

The company knows my name, address, email, etc. WGT has that info as well. Not pointing fingers as some of the affiliates here, like TrialPay have my email if not the other stuff. 

Did the company or the ad company blast a search over the internet to determine that I would be a good candidate to have targetted ads?

Forget Big Brother. Maybe we should be worrying about Bid Ad. 

• SlicedPepper
    796 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 5:15 PM
    No such thing as privacy now. We are all hooked into ' the web '. They know were we work, what we drive, what we eat, were we eat, what we do for fun and on and on. I use privacy browsers on my PC and phone, but to what extent they actually keep my info private is an unknown. If they want your information they will get it, one way or another. Ask the NSA.
  • drmoose
    3,538 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 7:40 PM
    Dang, if they want all my personal information, I'll just give it to them here ! I'm a pre-pubescent 12 year old liviin' in my grandmas' basement, 'cause my folks are disfunctional an' kicked me to the curb .I live on ramen noodles an' ol' Thompson manhatterns, I can't get my average distance to pin below 19' since I can't remember when, an' this game sucks so much I still love it. Please help. Doc :)
  • K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 8:41 PM
    Hoo boy, Since I use my amateur radio callsign as my "game name," any fool can look it up on the federal ULS. My wife lives in constant fear we'll be discovered, shreds every envelope and package label. I haven't had the heart to tell her I've been ultra discoverable since I was first licensed 8/15/1959. You might say I'm used to it.
  • JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 9:31 PM
    K7JBQ:
    amateur radio callsign
    KMC1452 if I recall correctly. No. Don't bother. Haven't had a radio in ages.

Sheesh. lt's not like my 200 share vote is going to make a hill of beans. Just bothersome that the info is there and apparently pretty easy to obtain.
  • alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 9:42 PM
    JimbeauC:
    Did the company or the ad company blast a search over the internet to determine that I would be a good candidate to have targetted ads?
    They don't have to search - some G-iant did it for them. They can target ads at us or select us as targets in more special ways than we'd want to - was a subject in the NYT a few weeks ago.
  • twinponds169
    3,028 Posts
    Mon, Oct 9 2017 10:17 PM
    Checked out a few pairs of football cleats for my son online this morning. A while later I got on WGT, went to the Earn Credits video page (the only exception on my AdBlock Plus), and it was loaded with adverts for football cleats. If you don't dump your cookies and temp files every frickin time you use the computer, then the only search they need to blast is your own PC.
  • craigswan
    31,550 Posts
    Tue, Oct 10 2017 12:39 AM
    There is this guy from Nigeria needing to know your bank details .
  • Tigerpaw509
    1,285 Posts
    Tue, Oct 10 2017 4:46 AM
    I heard the Nigerian died and they found 50 Billion in his basement,guess he wasnt lying after all
  • gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Tue, Oct 10 2017 7:16 AM
    He was really Bernie Madoff's alter ego, and all the money has not been found ,YET
  • PAGES
RSS