Help › Forums

Practice Range?

Tue, Nov 7 2017 12:51 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • mathia14
    1,271 Posts
    Tue, Oct 24 2017 9:36 AM
    ScottHope:
    Cheers guys. Yes, there are many regular helpful posters on here. ; )
    Yes there are. But a Scott equal was Dennis & he is no longer with us. R.I.P. Dennis, you are missed, my friend.
  • MistressCosette
    4,749 Posts
    Mon, Nov 6 2017 11:49 AM
    FROM MY BLOG ON MY PROFILE PAGE.....If you don't like all that math (and many don't) and you want a fast way to calculate how far your ball will go, then use the "Driving Range" at the 1st hole at Kiawah. Some may say, "Where's that?" Well, there IS a sort of 'driving range' because the 1st hole at Kiawah is just about as flat as a pancake from the tee all the way to the green, and you can use that fairway to tune your club set and the balls you use. What I do when I switch balls or buy new clubs is go to the 1st tee at Kiawah and use a few of the new balls and clubs by setting up a practice session that has the easy tees, the lowest wind I can dial in (preferably a 0-2 mph from the SIDE...which will take a few entries and exits to find, but you can do it...I know you can) and start with your driver and work your way down to your wedges. Just keep hitting balls off the tee and take mulligans until you ding the meter for each club using a FULL BACKSPIN or NO BACKSPIN shot. Once you ding the meter for each type of shot, record how far the ball went, at what yardage it landed, and how much it rolled or spun back. Record each yardage for each club on each type of shot and then you have a small chart to go by on a piece of paper to use when you decide to go golfing. Of course, wind still will affect your shot, so you DO have to go back and master the wind part of my calculations along with the elevation ratio, but that's not so hard. I found that this method is a bit less tedious than the long drawn-out nine calculations, and works well in the hurried formats of match or alternate shot play. I personally use FULL BACKSPIN shots, and only in rare cases do I use NO BACKSPIN shots, such as from rough or sand, so all you have to do is see how far your ball flies with each club on FULL BACKSPIN shots, which are much more preferable than the roll-out you get on NO BACKSPIN shots. You simply have to do one division problem for this when you have your chart and off you go, merrily sticking shots closer to the hole than you ever dreamed of. Good luck. Enjoy the game.
  • alosso
    21,054 Posts
    Mon, Nov 6 2017 10:12 PM
    Looks like some good advice!
    Would you mind to use <br> for new lines and <p> for paragraphs to make it better readable?
  • fatdan
    3,379 Posts
    Tue, Nov 7 2017 12:51 AM

There is nothing wrong with playing a ranked round everyday on a different 9 holes of your choice using just 2 irons, a wedge, and a putter either...

Hit them over and over, pick an exact area of the fairway/green you want the ball to land and get XP points and a ranked round while practicing...

I'm not a fan of using mulligans and wasting ball life anymore than I like using a starter ball or any ball other than what i play with normally, it is a waste of time.

• PAGES
RSS