Forums

Help › Forums

Putting break allowance

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jun 4 2011 8:16 PM (1 replies)
  • Moaman
    11 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2011 5:04 PM

Nivlac gives a good tutorial on putting and others also have givenexcellent thoughtss on distance control. Has anyone put out anything on judging how to allow for break onsome of those greens.Allowing for break on "fast" greens can be a lot more difficult on "tournament"ones. Not reading the break properly is ruining my game. Can ayone help please.

• oneeyedjohn
    9,570 Posts
    Sat, Jun 4 2011 8:16 PM

I'll try.......

Every putt is straight, by that I mean u choose a spot to aim for and u hit it there, if  it perfectly level with no up/down then the ball will go there.

Secondly if the puttis uphill u must hit it harder and the opposite is true for downhill. T

This is all very obvious I imagine but it is the combination of up/down and side slope left to right and right to left.

U still with me    ....

The final and most important consideration is the speed of the putt, more speed on he ball means less break, less speed more break.

So a fast ( Tournament green ) 10 foot  downhill ( v6 in ) will only require about 2 ft of power , whereas a slow 10 uphill ( ^6 in ) putt ( standard green) will require 16 ft of power.

It is the combination my last 2 statements that tells u how much break to allow for.

RSS