Help › Forums

map of all countries that play on wgt.

Mon, Dec 4 2017 7:41 AM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Bowl64
    3,119 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 1:14 AM

craigswan:

Is there a country called brexit by any chance .

Great Britain should be called fixit...;-)

• lonniescott711
    4,204 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 7:54 PM

Robert1893:

alosso:
    55 other countries like Puerto Rico

Puerto Rico? 

It's not a country. It's a US territory. Indeed, it has non-voting representation in Congress. 

Although its status is a territory Puerto Rico is still a country . It doesnt have Congressional representation because it is not a state . But the citizens can actually come to the US and register and vote the same as any other citizen as long as they reside here . They cant vote absentee but they can vote .

Also as a US citizen you can travel between the 2 and all you will need is either a US driver license or state issued ID or your birth certificate , showing that you are a US citizen .

• Robert1893
    7,712 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 8:16 PM

lonniescott711:
    Although its status is a territory Puerto Rico is still a country.

I suppose it's a matter of definition. When I use the word "country" I use it somewhat synonymously with the word "nation."* In other words, when I use it (and it's similarly used this way within my discipline), I limit the term to those geographic areas that have sovereignty.

Puerto Rico is not a sovereign nation or an independent country. It does, however, have a measure of self government. Regardless, it's part of the United States. As you note, Puerto Ricans are citizens of the US. 

lonniescott711:
    It doesnt have Congressional representation because it is not a state

Yes, Puerto Rico does have representation in Congress. It's simply the case that its representation is non-voting. The list of HR Representatives is here:

https://www.house.gov/representatives

You have to scroll down to see Puerto Rico listed. And please note that the website is the House's official website.

*And for the overly pedantic ones on the board, I use "nation" as a shortened version of "nation-state," which is convention. 

And yes, I realize that one can find definitions of the word "country" that are broader than the definition I ascribe to above. To find a definition that fits one's point of view or interpretation is as simple and quick as a Google search. 

Have at it, boys and girls! :-) 

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 9:48 PM

alosso:

Robert1893:
    Puerto Rico? 

It's not a country.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger!

In WGT's list, it is a country, like Bermuda, Hongkong and Gibraltar.

List of WGT countries not in the UN list:

Aland, Am. Samoa, Anguilla, Antarctica, Aruba, Bermuda, Bouvet Island, Br. Ind. Ocean, Br. Virgin Is., Carrib. Neth., Cayman, Christmas Is., Cocos is., Cook Is., Curacao, Falkland, Faroe, Fr. Guiana, Fr. Polynesia, Fr. South Terr., Gibraltar, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guernsey, Heard Is., Hongkong, Isle of Man, Jersey, Macau, Martinique, Mayotte, Montserrat, N. Antilles, N. Mariana, New Caledonia, Niue, Norfolk Is., Palestina, Pitcairn, Puerto Rico, Reunion, S Georgia, Sin Maarten, St. Martin, St.Bartholo., St.Pierre, Svalbard, Taiwan, Tokelau, Turks Is, US Minor, US Virgin, Vatican, W. Sahara, Wallis and F.

Cool,

Worked almost all of those on the air. All countries in my book.

Greenland isn't on the UN list???

• Noordwesth
    50 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 10:19 PM

K7JBQ:

alosso:

Robert1893:
    Puerto Rico? 

It's not a country.
    Don't shoot me, I'm only the messenger!

In WGT's list, it is a country, like Bermuda, Hongkong and Gibraltar.

List of WGT countries not in the UN list:

Aland, Am. Samoa, Anguilla, Antarctica, Aruba, Bermuda, Bouvet Island, Br. Ind. Ocean, Br. Virgin Is., Carrib. Neth., Cayman, Christmas Is., Cocos is., Cook Is., Curacao, Falkland, Faroe, Fr. Guiana, Fr. Polynesia, Fr. South Terr., Gibraltar, Greenland, Guadeloupe, Guam, Guernsey, Heard Is., Hongkong, Isle of Man, Jersey, Macau, Martinique, Mayotte, Montserrat, N. Antilles, N. Mariana, New Caledonia, Niue, Norfolk Is., Palestina, Pitcairn, Puerto Rico, Reunion, S Georgia, Sin Maarten, St. Martin, St.Bartholo., St.Pierre, Svalbard, Taiwan, Tokelau, Turks Is, US Minor, US Virgin, Vatican, W. Sahara, Wallis and F.

Cool,

Worked almost all of those on the air. All countries in my book.

Greenland belongs to Denmark :)

• alosso
    21,056 Posts
    Wed, Nov 22 2017 10:46 PM

Ham radio is cool!

K7JBQ:

Look it up - it's a (special) part of Denmark!

• craigswan
    31,549 Posts
    Thu, Nov 23 2017 12:17 AM

10 smallest countries in the world today:

• Malta - 316 km² ..
    • Maldives - 300 km² ...
    • Saint Kitts and Nevis - 261 km² ...
    • Liechtenstein - 160 km² ...
    • San Marino - 61 km² ...
    • Nauru - 21 km² ...
    • Monaco - 2 km² ...
    • Vatican City - 0.44 km²
  • Johnnie1221
    28 Posts
    Fri, Nov 24 2017 6:25 PM

Hey thanks got way more than expected .

• ScottHope
    10,350 Posts
    Mon, Dec 4 2017 7:41 AM

Not sure if the OP is still monitoring this thread, but I've added a little bit of extra functionality to my original post with some javascript.

If you apply the script, a map will appear, and if you click on any of the countries in the list I posted, the map will automatically scroll to show you whereabouts in the world that country is located.  : )

SEE HERE.

• PAGES
RSS