Forums

Help › Forums

Divide players for fun from PRos

Thu, Jun 30 2011 6:25 AM (25 replies)
  • DIGBYSELLERS
    944 Posts
    Sat, Jun 25 2011 1:08 PM

When setting up a game just change the player rank to what ever you like!

• Jerm65
    1,413 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 4:53 PM

LizzieRossetti:

OoooH  I say!

Glad I wasn't the only one whose first thought was less-than prudish.

And yes, I think it's always a good idea to be able to check someone's equipment before you play around with them.

Especially if one requires more strokes than one's partner in order to finish.  It can be very frustrating if one's partner disconnects once they've finished, and before you have. 

And it's terribly bad form, too....leaving one to finish on one's own.

• gene1022
    112 Posts
    Tue, Jun 28 2011 11:17 PM

Computer game .... I think thats what it is. What difference does it make...it's all for fun.

JMHO

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 2:59 AM

Jerm65:

LizzieRossetti:

OoooH  I say!

And yes, I think it's always a good idea to be able to check someone's equipment before you play around with them.

Especially if one requires more strokes than one's partner in order to finish.  It can be very frustrating if one's partner disconnects once they've finished, and before you have. 

Quite right. And as a woman this happens FAR too often. I cannot count the times my partners have suddenly lost interest in finishing properly, and contrary to popular belief, this is not always to do with equipment. I have to admit though, that being able to see a prospective partners equipment prior to playing with them would be not so much an advantage, but it would go some way to how I might plan my game thereafter, or even whether I decide to play at all.

I would say also that having long irons is not necessarily a be-all and end-all, for I find the ability to wedge with adroitness carries a certain degree of amusement and satisfaction and can have a dramatic effect on where and how you are later able to putt your balls.

Of course being able to hold your own with a driver will quite often dictate the final outcome and this too can be rewarding, as long as you are careful to aim well enough to avoid any spills onto a bad lie. Many a player has known the shame of hacking out of the fescue only to have the shot wilt and fall short of expectations.

As to how many strokes it might take to finish satisfactorily, well this can often depend on the intercourse during gameplay, for it is not always how good a player one is, but sometimes how a few choice words here and there stimulate ones partner so that mutually and together, a finish can be achieved, smiles all round and no regrets for the odd misplaced ball.

Personally I find there are opportunities to be had from the rough and for this reason I often go there knowing that a good result is exciting as much for the fear of the unknown as for any performance related skills I might myself possess.

My final point however, is one of caution. To have ones equipment on public display as suggested by the OP, might lead to certain types taking advantage of you where you yourself may not be suspecting it. I therefore urge that we all keep our various wares under wraps until you and your partner are alone and free to play without scrutiny. Whilst some do indeed like to be watched, this is not so for everyone.

Lizzie xx 

• fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:00 AM

Which is more important in your opinion, the size of the wood, or the angle of attack?  And where on the shaft do you find gives you the most satisfactory grip?

• fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:01 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Jerm65:

LizzieRossetti:

OoooH  I say!

Quite right. And as a woman this happens FAR too often. I cannot count the times my partners have suddenly lost interest in finishing properly, and contrary to popular belief, this is not always to do with equipment. I have to admit though, that being able to see a prospective partners equipment prior to playing with them would be not so much an advantage, but it would go some way to how I might plan my game thereafter, or even whether I decide to play at all.

I would say also that having long irons is not necessarily a be-all and end-all, for I find the ability to wedge with adroitness carries a certain degree of amusement and satisfaction and can have a dramatic effect on where and how you are later able to putt your balls.

Of course being able to hold your own with a driver will quite often dictate the final outcome and this too can be rewarding, as long as you are careful to aim well enough to avoid any spills onto a bad lie. Many a player has known the shame of hacking out of the fescue only to have the shot wilt and fall short of expectations.

As to how many strokes it might take to finish satisfactorily, well this can often depend on the intercourse during gameplay, for it is not always how good a player one is, but sometimes how a few choice words here and there stimulate ones partner so that mutually and together, a finish can be achieved, smiles all round and no regrets for the odd misplaced ball.

Personally I find there are opportunities to be had from the rough and for this reason I often go there knowing that a good result is exciting as much for the fear of the unknown as for any performance related skills I might myself possess.

My final point however, is one of caution. To have ones equipment on public display as suggested by the OP, might lead to certain types taking advantage of you where you yourself may not be suspecting it. I therefore urge that we all keep our various wares under wraps until you and your partner are alone and free to play without scrutiny. Whilst some do indeed like to be watched, this is not so for everyone.

Lizzie xx 

Which is more important in your opinion, the size of the wood, or the angle of attack?  And where on the shaft do you find gives you the most satisfactory grip?

• x1524807
    776 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 5:19 AM

WGTicon:
    Oh, i see what you are saying. I am not sure it'll work since players chose equipment at the end. Splitting players also would not work as how exactly do we decide who is who?

Hi Icon

let us see, how about those who use upgrades and those who do not use upgrades.

WOULDN'T THAT BE NICE

You could call non upgrades players "cheapos" and

upgrade players "ego maniacs"

• LizzieRossetti
    1,545 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:09 AM

Well clearly Fatboy, there are good things about both, especially if you can have them together all in one package as far as size of wood and angle of the head are concerned. I have personally made something of a study of this very thing, in the interests of science and some of my conclusions might one day make interesting reading. One of the more curious observations I have encountered relates to shaft width in corrolation to its ultimate length, the two not being mutually exclusive. From studies which I undertook with vigour, I was to find that the two are sometimes indistinguishable at the moment of most impact, which is to say that per results hoped for, both were able to give satisfactory results. I did find however, that once the shot had landed, I was only vaguely aware or indeed interested in the method by which it had reached its destination, the very euphoria of having achieved something like a passably good approach overtaking any desire to dwell upon methods deployed.

As far as grip and the positioning best suited for my own needs, well this too formed a part of my scientific study, and still does on an ongoing basis. It all rather depends on whether one wishes to wedge, putt or merely drive for victory, but in all cases a firm grip on the shaft is required in order to maintain feel and concentration, sometimes low down, other times at the very tip. So far I have been unable to formulate any undesired effects concerning my grip, save for one solitary instance where I believe my nails hindered the follow through, causing some little pain, but I don't think this was worried about overmuch at the time.

Lizzie xx

• fatboymonty
    15 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 6:43 AM

LizzieRossetti:

Well clearly Fatboy, there are good things about both, especially if you can have them together all in one package as far as size of wood and angle of the head are concerned. I have personally made something of a study of this very thing, in the interests of science and some of my conclusions might one day make interesting reading. One of the more curious observations I have encountered relates to shaft width in corrolation to its ultimate length, the two not being mutually exclusive. From studies which I undertook with vigour, I was to find that the two are sometimes indistinguishable at the moment of most impact, which is to say that per results hoped for, both were able to give satisfactory results. I did find however, that once the shot had landed, I was only vaguely aware or indeed interested in the method by which it had reached its destination, the very euphoria of having achieved something like a passably good approach overtaking any desire to dwell upon methods deployed.

As far as grip and the positioning best suited for my own needs, well this too formed a part of my scientific study, and still does on an ongoing basis. It all rather depends on whether one wishes to wedge, putt or merely drive for victory, but in all cases a firm grip on the shaft is required in order to maintain feel and concentration, sometimes low down, other times at the very tip. So far I have been unable to formulate any undesired effects concerning my grip, save for one solitary instance where I believe my nails hindered the follow through, causing some little pain, but I don't think this was worried about overmuch at the time.

Lizzie xx

I'm all for the scientific method, but does all that research not leave you knackered?  How many rounds are you able to play in one session?  

What terrain?  Thick rough could prevent proper penetrative insight so a nearly completely shaved green would probably be better.  

I note your point about pain-  for safety probably better to put a new rubber on the shaft.

• JimmyS3
    42 Posts
    Wed, Jun 29 2011 8:59 AM

Very interesting discussion on equipment. Unfortunately what type of equipment one has does not always reflect the players skill. The same can be said about course size as well.

More importantly is that a player practice with the equipment he has and become proficient with it. I am sure that players would find much more enjoyment if not quite so much emphasis was placed on equipment selection. Although there are some courses that demand certain equipment all can be played with any equipment and success will depend on the players ingenuity and imagination.

I have found the length of the round much more vital. When I was younger rounds were played much quicker and I was able to play multiple rounds a day. Today I find it is much more enjoyable to play one round, take my time and enjoy the scenery. Although there are some courses that demand quicker play than others because of allotted tee times; satisfaction can be obtained through the use of electric carts.

There is quite a difference between rounds played here in America and those played abroad. Players from the UK use smaller balls than us Americans, but some of the players from UK enjoy playing with American equipment as a change of pace. Also the courses differ, those abroad are much more difficult to master. The rough is much thicker and fairways tighter and much more imagination required to conquer course. If you find a wide open course it is apt to be older and toughened with very demanding hazards. Good scores can be had but equipment selection must be precise with well controlled execution.

The similarities are that the holes are the same size, there is a front nine and usually a back nine. Satisfaction can be had by playing courses with only one nine, twice! Even though multiple clubs can be used; players tend to use one more often than the others. They become very proficient with that particular club and become very fond of it.

Another similarity is that some courses are very expensive to play and depending on whom you play with can cost you even more

Why are there so many sheep on courses throughout the UK?

RSS