Help › Forums

Course Difficulty

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 5 2012 8:32 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 6:37 AM

Does the course you play affect your avg, and exp. points? In other words do you get the same if you shoot a -4 on the back 9 of St. Andrews,as you would on the back 9 of St George,or Congressional?

Thanks Gary

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:12 AM

Woodoworkery:

Does the course you play affect your avg, and exp. points? In other words do you get the same if you shoot a -4 on the back 9 of St. Andrews,as you would on the back 9 of St George,or Congressional?

Thanks Gary

hi

As it comes to exp points, each course is treated the game. However, different game types are treated different, with games that are in  the tournament class getting most experience, such as read-go, or our other tournaments

-wgticon

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:45 AM

The same score on different courses will affect your average differently depending on par for the course.   A -4 for 9 at St. A will give you a 32, so a 64 will count towards your average, -4 at RSG will be 31 so a 62 will be counted.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 12:56 PM

St A's and Kiawah will bring your average down less than the other courses as they are easier. I think that's what you wanted to know.

• MainzMan
    9,590 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 10:58 PM

piztaker:

St A's and Kiawah will bring your average down less than the other courses as they are easier. I think that's what you wanted to know.

Is that true though? I thought the average was based purely on number of shots per round, so an easy course, where you can shoot lower scores would get your average down faster.

• xtabent
    2,281 Posts
    Thu, Jul 7 2011 11:46 PM

thats how it works..same as real golf you can get your average down quicker playing a easy course....

• borntobesting
    9,686 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 3:08 AM

xtabent:

thats how it works..same as real golf you can get your average down quicker playing a easy course....

Yes but playing that way is not always the best. Sure you can play the easier courses and bring your average down quickly but when you have to play the harder courses you might find yourself not able to play them as well as you would like especially from the longer tees.

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 5:44 AM

Well I shot a -8 on Bethpage and my average went down. Then shot a -10 on St.A's and it didn't. Honest.

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 7:06 AM

xtabent:

But handicaps in real golf are calculated using the slope etc. ratings for the specific course, so the same low score on a difficult course improves your handicap more than it would on an easy course.

On WGT, it appears that the averages are calculated on the raw scores, effectively turning all courses in par 72 courses for average purposes. It is as if holes like the 7th at Bethpage and the 9th at Oakmont, which are nominally par 4s on WGT but par 5s in normal life are effectively par 5s for average purposes.

• WigerToods2010
    8,446 Posts
    Fri, Jul 8 2011 8:03 AM

piztaker:

Well I shot a -8 on Bethpage and my average went down. Then shot a -10 on St.A's and it didn't. Honest.

That is exactly what would happen if your average is nearing - as in your case - moving up to the next tier. 

Using your tier (TM) as the example:

Your average is now based on your best 50 rounds. This could  be made up of:

10 @ 60

10 @ 61

30 @ 62.

Average =  3070 (strokes) / 50  =  61.4

Hitting a score of 62 will not now affect your average, hit a score of 61 and one of the 62's will  drop from your top 50 scores and be replaced by the 61 leaving you now with a top 50 score list of :

10 @ 60

11 @ 61

29 @ 62.

Average = 3069 (strokes) / 50 =  61.38

A TM with the above stats now requires to shoot a minimum of 30 over 9 holes or 61 over 18 for their average to drop.

It doesn't matter what course you score on, it's purely the number of strokes taken per round.

Hope that helps.

• PAGES
RSS