Help › Forums

STARS

rated by 0 users
Fri, Aug 31 2018 7:16 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gherkinhead1
    246 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 3:20 PM

If there are billions and billions of stars - why is the sky dark at night?

• EasyEdward
    13,507 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 6:24 PM

gherkinhead1:

Maybe they are in a galaxy far far away?

• LEDzZzEPP
    501 Posts
    Sun, Aug 26 2018 7:08 PM

And considering that the Sun itself is a star, and one of the smallest in the galaxy, imagine how far away the other stars will be that we can barely see them

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 6:22 AM

gherkinhead1:

I don't know where you live, to be asking a question of this magnitude. However, you may be living in an area of "light pollution". There are to many lights near you, such as a city, that when you look up, the light is reflected back at you from the water molecules in the atmosphere.

If you want to see the entire Milky Way, go out on the ocean at night. Chances are you will see something you have never witnessed in your life. You can also go to remote locations, that have no night lights, to achieve the same results.

LEDzZzEPP:
    imagine how far away the other stars will be that we can barely see them

Imagine that all the stars you can see, may very well have exhausted their fuel, and are dead. You would never know in your life time, as the stars are millions of light years from us.

A star that resides 10 million light years from us, explodes tonight. We would not see the last protons of light, until 10million years from tonight.

So, there is also the possibility that gherkinhead can see the future

Remember, all the physics man has ever postulated about, are theories.

"A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained".

Just because Einstein and all the other contemporaries, thought up the physics we know of today, does not mean they hold true, in the real workings of the universe.

I vehemently disagree, that, everything going into a black hole is crushed into a "singularity". Impossible. Hydrogen is the most plentiful substance in the universe. Stars are made of it.

I have postulated that hydrogen is spat out the other end of the gravity well, in it's atomic form. It comprises the darkness between galaxies, (dark matter) & is the reason the galaxies are moving further from each other.

Imagine that............

What do I know? I'm just a golfer.........

My grant money is on it's way from a Nigerian Prince, Whoo hoo

☢----------------<*{{{{{-(

• gherkinhead1
    246 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 3:01 PM

gonfission:

gherkinhead1:

I don't know where you live, to be asking a question of this magnitude. However, you may be living in an area of "light pollution". There are to many lights near you, such as a city, that when you look up, the light is reflected back at you from the water molecules in the atmosphere.

If you want to see the entire Milky Way, go out on the ocean at night. Chances are you will see something you have never witnessed in your life. You can also go to remote locations, that have no night lights, to achieve the same results.

LEDzZzEPP:
    imagine how far away the other stars will be that we can barely see them

Imagine that all the stars you can see, may very well have exhausted their fuel, and are dead. You would never know in your life time, as the stars are millions of light years from us.

A star that resides 10 million light years from us, explodes tonight. We would not see the last protons of light, until 10million years from tonight.

So, there is also the possibility that gherkinhead can see the future

Remember, all the physics man has ever postulated about, are theories.

"A supposition or a system of ideas intended to explain something, especially one based on general principles independent of the thing to be explained".

Just because Einstein and all the other contemporaries, thought up the physics we know of today, does not mean they hold true, in the real workings of the universe.

I vehemently disagree, that, everything going into a black hole is crushed into a "singularity". Impossible. Hydrogen is the most plentiful substance in the universe. Stars are made of it.

I have postulated that hydrogen is spat out the other end of the gravity well, in it's atomic form. It comprises the darkness between galaxies, (dark matter) & is the reason the galaxies are moving further from each other.

Imagine that............

What do I know? I'm just a golfer.........

My grant money is on it's way from a Nigerian Prince, Whoo hoo

☢----------------<*{{{{{-(

Great answer,  I've just finished a book called: "We Need to Talk about Kelvin" by Marcus Chown,   and that is pretty much how he explained it.

thanks

• pjctas0822
    4,591 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 4:05 PM

God said let there be light and so it was.....Without Light darkness would not even exist....Light is not the absence of darkness .... Some things can't be explained no matter how hard we try. It is beyond our minuscule brains.

• TheAceFactor
    2,147 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 5:14 PM

gonfission:
    Chances are you will see something you have never witnessed in your life.

• gonfission
    2,241 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 5:44 PM

Here is a pretty cool song, that puts things in perspective.

• ItsTooSweet
    149 Posts
    Mon, Aug 27 2018 8:54 PM

gherkinhead1:

It has to do with the inverse square law of brightness. As time passes the apparent brightness is diminished using the inverse of the square.

Time is on the left side--Apparent Brightness on the right side

1 sec = 1

2 sec = 1/4

3 sec = 1/9

This is used in astronomy to help determine the distance of objects. Basically as time passes the apparent brightness diminishes in a predictable way.

• Duckster789
    534 Posts
    Wed, Aug 29 2018 10:12 PM

• PAGES
RSS