Forums

Help › Forums

Rough Day in the Rough

Thu, Jul 28 2011 2:20 AM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • bluebelly83
    46 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:49 AM

I come seeking advice for shooting out of the rough.  I am improving my approach shots, but I end up in the rough more often than I like.  Then, once in the rough, there seems to be no realistic way to judge how far the shot will go.

Since I play real golf, I understand how a lie in the thick stuff IS very unpredictable.  However, I thought I would seek some tips from the pros here.  I suppose the easy answer is just don't end up in the rough... but I'd appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks,

bluebelly83

• bluebelly83
    46 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 11:51 AM

I really hate when I slam it and it goes about three feet.  >l

• b0geybuster
    2,574 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 12:17 PM

bluebelly83:

I really hate when I slam it and it goes about three feet.  >l

don't use chip from the rough!  Edit*  when your more then 2ft!

Cheers,

b0gey

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 12:56 PM

A lot depends on what club, and where you are at...i/e fairway rough for approach?  Green side rough, how deep/etc., how far off the green are you?..green speeds and elevation are also something to consider as well.

I/e, there's no set "add X yards" to all clubs, IMO, it scales..i/e in 20/25%rough, with PW, I just adjust for topspin/backspin on the 115 yd club.

But see as much 15-20 yards with 3 iron in same rough.

As much as I like BB's advice usually, I chip from 30/40% rough most of the time, especially on BPB #5 and #9 if I'm off the green, but usually #5 leaves me 18-20yards from hole, so I pitch.

The 40/50 greenside stuff I use a pitch, even if 8 yards from hole.

You really have to find out what you're comfortable with, I fell in love with the flop around the green, from fringe (especially) to 30/40, but over the past 3/4 weeks, chip is becoming my standard shot if I really want to try and make it.

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Fri, Jul 15 2011 2:06 PM

hi

this may help you

-wgticon

• lapeepers
    4 Posts
    Tue, Jul 26 2011 6:21 PM

I've found your issue. There is no correlation between WGT and "real golf".

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

If WGT tells you that you are 70 yards out, 3 mph wind and in 2nd cut of rough, 30-40% lie DO NOT plan to play a 100yd PW. "Real world" math would dictate that 30-40% off 100 yards is 60-70 yards. That's pretty much a certain, like taxes.

I have recently had this situation and lo and behond even after taking a little bit off the power meter from full, maybe 90%, the shot SAILS 92 yards past the pin into the weeds. And of course this is in a weekly tourney.

So the lesson here is that for for anything in the rough, just keep trying, get some practice hitting these kinds of shots, develop some vague sense of how far you think it will go, then throw it away because in this "fake world" of play golf, WGT will always make subtle changes to keep you on your toes.

This game gets more and more frustrating to play.

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 3:08 AM

lapeepers:

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

You funny, now everybody funny too!

Cool as a Real Life Golfer such as your self,you never have to adjust you swing at all?

Will we see you on the tour soon?

You still funny!

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 4:22 AM

lapeepers:

ABSOLUTELY NONE!

If WGT tells you that you are 70 yards out, 3 mph wind and in 2nd cut of rough, 30-40% lie DO NOT plan to play a 100yd PW. "Real world" math would dictate that 30-40% off 100 yards is 60-70 yards. That's pretty much a certain, like taxes.

So let me get this straight, you have a very kind lie and within a wedge of the cup and compute you need about three clubs more? Depending on spin, you should need no more than 5-10yds extra (before adjusting for wind). Please put the effort in to learn the game properly.

*edit: the lie percentage relates the proportion of the ball buried and not the percentage of extra power required

• TheProfessorX
    41 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 5:12 PM

I pretty much use flop shots from the rough when I am near the green,chips are way to unpredictable for me.

This is especially true when I am in deep rough.

• 3puttsSuk
    361 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2011 7:25 PM

mid to long approach shots from 2nd cut of rough

Punch it

• PAGES
RSS