• PAGES
  • cole1234
    50 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 11:57 AM

Any advice on lowering your average to get to  63.0? at 66.18 right now

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:06 PM

Plan your shots better, don't take risks with rough and bunkers and play the percentage shots.

• borntobesting
    9,681 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:21 PM

It's not the smartest way to lower your average but it does lower it quickly if you play well. If you are a member of a CC set up and play many unlimited tourneys @ St.Andrews front nine only with low winds and standard green speeds. Your average will drop quickly shooting 31's and 32's with a few sub 30 rounds thrown in. One guy in our CC set up 2 or 3 of these tourneys every week. Fast way but not the smartest. Best way is to play every course playing smart golf as Piz said. Another thing work on your putting. The better you putt the lower your average will be. 

• cole1234
    50 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:42 PM

thanks guys! So if i do rounds from my CC would it drop more than if I was to play a standard ranked round?

• piztaker
    5,743 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:46 PM

cole1234:

thanks guys! So if i do rounds from my CC would it drop more than if I was to play a standard ranked round?

No, but you'd get more experience points.

• cole1234
    50 Posts
    Sat, Jul 16 2011 12:51 PM

thanks!

• TarheelsRule
    5,551 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 9:58 AM

I wouldn't be too quick to lower your average and move up.  Just play all the courses and let your average move down as you get better.

It is easy to play just the 9 that you are best on or set up easy tournaments and get a better scoring average by this means but that doesn't make you better.  Playing both nines on all courses and getting that average honestly is the best way.

• Mohawk1
    366 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 10:58 AM

^^^^Smart and sound advice and I took it  ^^^^^ .  Being stuck at the same ave for what seems eternity I am  fustrated and tempted to just play the easier courses  to lower my average .  Little more to this game I think than being a one course player though, that said each there own  .

Like mentioned above , the  best way is to play all courses than tier up when you are  good and ready, no rush and some tier up quicker than others  .   Scoring a bogie on Oak is a lot harder to take than a bird at Kia in the short term though, just think of the overall   big picture of being a more complete WGT player  :)     gl

• SGTBilko
    1,686 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 11:02 AM

TarheelsRule:

I wouldn't be too quick to lower your average and move up.  Just play all the courses and let your average move down as you get better.

It is easy to play just the 9 that you are best on or set up easy tournaments and get a better scoring average by this means but that doesn't make you better.  Playing both nines on all courses and getting that average honestly is the best way.

Tarheel has offered sound and pointed advice. Let me add my own experience, before the changes I used to play under a different name (that account was closed). I worried way to much about lowering my average and only played Saint Andrews and Kiawah. Low and behold I was a master and then the legend tiers were created. I had no where near the experience to be at that level and thus decided to listen to the experts and start over from scratch, play each and every course equally. By doing this I improved on the important stats such as scramble and sand percentages, becoming a better player than I was.

• silky4015
    255 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 2:48 PM

I am a master and play all course, yet my aveage has been 64.48 for the last sixteen weeks and I'm still playing most games at par or just under. Oakmont being the one that I'm over par on.

• PAGES
RSS