Help › Forums

. . . not gettin' this hole - Congress #4

Tue, Jul 19 2011 4:04 PM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Hackmack
    75 Posts
    Sun, Jul 17 2011 6:14 PM

Is it just me or .  .  . 

On the approach, it seems I ad more yardage necessary (middle iron - 7 or 8 yds) to compensate for the 16' elevated green but still find myself always short in the bunker.  It seems you need considerable more power to hit this green than others that are elevated around 16'?  

once in the bunker  .   .    .  16 yds to 7' elevated green, 30-40% lie.  A 26 yard flop shot (Satin 60) at 80% power won't get me out of the bunker I'm standing in. You guys and gals that birdie this hole - how do you play it?

I've only been playin' 3 or 4 mo's - but this hole confuses me.

• FlyinDoc
    201 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 2:45 AM

I'm not a particularly good player, but the general rule I use for elevated greens is adding 1 yd for every 2ft of elevation. You will find Cong. #4 manageable if you do this. Flopping out of a Bunker with 30-40% lie is incredible difficult. I know there are players who can do this, but generally, a Full or Punch shot is recommended for bunkers. Cheers.

• Nicholas99
    429 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:04 AM

actually i always flop from bunkers at 30 40 and most of the time it works preety well.

Nick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 6:37 AM

Hackmack:
    On the approach, it seems I ad more yardage necessary (middle iron - 7 or 8 yds) to compensate for the 16' elevated green but still find myself always short in the bunker.  It seems you need considerable more power to hit this green than others that are elevated around 16'?

That elevation happens at the end of the shot, right when your ball is losing altitude. You don't get the landing and roll out that you expect so you come up short. You need to club up and choke that swing with backspin to get over that trap and then you'll most likely run long, which doesn't hurt.

• puttersman
    240 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:25 AM

I normally use a 64 degree lob wedge full to get out of the sand and it works very well for me, most of the time, I also use it on the fringe with the same result. Sometimes, I will chip. 

• zagraniczniak
    1,984 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 7:50 AM

Have landed in that trap more times than I care to remember. If there, I would play a pitch shot, but with power because 30/40 sand is much worse than 30/40 rough. So if I were 12 yards from the hole I would hit a full 17 yard pitch with full backspin.

Another way around such problems at CCC is to play an approach into the heart of the green, at near the stated distance but without any backspin. They will often roll up the slope to the desired tier. Works well on hole 14 (long uphill approach) - also the par 3s at 2 and 7.

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 8:30 AM

Hackmack:

Players who regularly birdie that hole are light years ahead of me in both skill and equipment.  So I play it to get par.  Much like BP #5, its important to know how far your iron shot will carry Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 , only then will the yardage ± wind ± elevation calculation work to land you on the green.

Here's a shot at # 4, 152 yds out, 19ft up, about a 5.5 headwind and left to right.

I want to land it on the green 5 yds in front of the pin to allow for some roll.  So I want my shot to carry 152 - 5 = 147 yds

I calculate it this way: 147 + 19elev / 3 + 5.5wind x 65% = 147 + 6 + 3.5 = 156.5

I add 2 yards extra for good measure (anticipating I'll miss the ding) so I want to hit the shot 158.5 yds.. 

I know from mapping my irons my 170yd 6I will carry 162 yds with full back spin.

I'll choke down just a bit on my 6I.

Here's the replay (I moved the aimer left of the pin and  missed the ding a hair early)

Rapture 6 iron to CCC #4

The shot carried 150 yds and rolled leaving a 15 foot birdie attempt.   That was a good wind for that shot.

This is basically my anal retentive version of what YJ said.  It looked like a 155 yd 7I at first (but that carries only 145) so I clubbed up to a 6I and choked down a little.

As far as the bunker shot, from 30-40 lie try using your Ping 64 wedge and hit a punch shot about 1/2 power for starters.

The best thing you can do is play practice mode and play shots from that bunker an take notes.

• Hackmack
    75 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 3:58 PM

First of all, thanks for suggestions and your time.

YJim - I can visualize that shot now. Great description.

Andyson - Thanks for "setting up' that shot on #4 for me. I get it now.

I simply need to practice the shots needed to "manage' that hole and make a note or 2. My Raptures got me by till now I suppose. Bought them in early May  .  .  . 

.   .   . but now i'm renting G10's (for fun) 'till I reach Level 79 in a couple of days. It's time to upgrade.  Any problem going straight to the burners and not playing with G10's for awhile. I've read pros and cons of both sets and yes the swing meter.  Both require practice, etc.

later

• Dichotomy37
    75 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:17 PM

Andy

I'm not exactly getting your calcs.. can you elaborate?

147 + 19elev = 166

the following / to me is interpreted as divided by so the formula breaks down

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Mon, Jul 18 2011 5:40 PM

How's this.     Clearer?

I calculate it this way: 147 + (19elev / 3) + (5.5wind x 65%) = 147 + 6 + 3.5 = 156.5

It is 19 divided by 3 for the elevation = 6  approximately

• PAGES
RSS